Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Silver Member
    Tractor
    CaseIH 685 & JD 3320

Default Compact 4WD utility Tractors with Chains on front tires.

Hello Folks;

Are any of you running chains on the front tires of you Compact 4WD utility. We have R-4 on our 3320 and they are working much better then then R-3 Turf tires did on our previous 3320.

Problem is pushing a good head of snow with the blower and trying to go around a curve. The tires are clean and pulling good but the tractor will not turn. Need to stop, lift the blower, back up a bit and give her another push. I figure chains might be the best solution

Any place to get a good deal on chains?

You guys are the greatest. Such great information. thanks, nicholas

Tractor
    LS XR3037HC

Default Re: Compact 4WD utility Tractors with Chains on front tires.

I just bought a set for my rear tires on Ebay. Price was reasonable and free shipping.
    I plow with my loader bucket and have the same problem of not being able to steer. With the loader in float position there is very little weight on the front tires. It can't hurt to try a set of chains on the front. I tried a set of chains on the front of mine. It helped but not as much as I'd like it to. Without the loader weight (or snow blower in your case) it wants to continue going straight. I've adapted by using the loader control to lift it slightly when I want to turn.
    One thing I did find that helped more than front chains was making a weight bracket in front of the grille and adding 180 lb. of weight to have more weight on the front tires when the loader is in float mode. This summer I want to make a set of front wheel weights I can bolt on for winter use.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L5740HSTC3; B3000HSDCC

L5740

Chains on all 4 tires all winter every year.

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

Don

MF GC2400, FEL, 60in.MMM, 5ft. Cultivator, Single Bottom Plow, Bush Hog RTC48 tiller, MF 2360 front mount snowblower, 5ft backblade. BXpanded Piranha toothbar.

Tractor
    Kubota BX2360 & L4240 HSTC

I have a blade on my loader. When I push it takes some weight off of the front axle so front chains would not be that effective.. A front blower may take some weight off also when you are pushing it. I would go with rear chains. A rear axle is more durable than the front. Tirechains.com is good to deal with.

Tractor
    Kubota L5240 HSTC, (Kubota L3130 HST - sold)

Do it! Front chains help a lot.
    -Dave

"Being a pessimist is great. You can't lose. Either you end up being right...or you are pleasantly surprised."

L5240HST, QA, 824 Loader, 48" Forks, 48" Grapple, rear blade, box blade, landscape rake, Ancient Farmi Skidding winch
    Trailer - 10k/16' twin axle w/elec brakes
    2005 F250 5.4V8(3V) 3.73/4wd tow vehicle

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kioti DK 35

I run chains on all 4. All winter, every winter.
    The difference is huge.
    Vince,
    Kioti DK 35
    Hustler Super Z

Gold Member
    Tractor
    '09 JD 5105M Cab & '05 JD 4720 Cab

Quote Originally Posted by pane056 View Post
    Problem is pushing a good head of snow with the blower and trying to go around a curve. The tires are clean and pulling good but the tractor will not turn. Need to stop, lift the blower, back up a bit and give her another push. I figure chains might be the best solution
    Chains can be of great help but not for this specific issue. If you use the blower to push snow it gets heavier and -assuming you are in float mode- this will cause the tractor to pivot around its rear axle effectively lifting the front wheels off the ground. That's why the tractor won't turn. Chains that are not in firm contact with the ground won't be effective, you will still need to raise the blower somewhat to regain sufficient traction for steering.
    JD 5105M & JD 4720 Cabbies w. Shoule reversible snow blade/Shoule rear snowblower; Pronovost blower; backhoe and some attachments I have no idea what they are for.

Dose a JD 3320 have split brakes? They are are great help if you have them. Also if your 3320 is new I'd check the owners manual to see what it says about chains. Some configurations of some tractors are so compact that chains on the front can strike the loader arms when the wheels are at full turn and the arms are down. Also check the manual about the front weights. Normally you don't put weights on the front at the same time you have a loader mounted. Might be alright if the plow is light enough as your not lifting full buckets of gravel while plowing snow but check the permissible load on the front axle and tires to see if your exceeding it.

Would not suggest front chaise only. Do suggest for all four wheels. Use on our 4320. Huge impact on hills and steering.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast