Compact 4WD utility Tractors with Chains on front tires.

/ Compact 4WD utility Tractors with Chains on front tires. #1  

pane056

Silver Member
Tractor
CaseIH 685 & JD 3320
Hello Folks;

Are any of you running chains on the front tires of you Compact 4WD utility. We have R-4 on our 3320 and they are working much better then then R-3 Turf tires did on our previous 3320.

Problem is pushing a good head of snow with the blower and trying to go around a curve. The tires are clean and pulling good but the tractor will not turn. Need to stop, lift the blower, back up a bit and give her another push. I figure chains might be the best solution

Any place to get a good deal on chains?

You guys are the greatest. Such great information. thanks, nicholas

/ Compact 4WD utility Tractors with Chains on front tires. #2  
I just bought a set for my rear tires on Ebay. Price was reasonable and free shipping.
I plow with my loader bucket and have the same problem of not being able to steer. With the loader in float position there is very little weight on the front tires. It can't hurt to try a set of chains on the front. I tried a set of chains on the front of mine. It helped but not as much as I'd like it to. Without the loader weight (or snow blower in your case) it wants to continue going straight. I've adapted by using the loader control to lift it slightly when I want to turn.
One thing I did find that helped more than front chains was making a weight bracket in front of the grille and adding 180 lb. of weight to have more weight on the front tires when the loader is in float mode. This summer I want to make a set of front wheel weights I can bolt on for winter use.

/ Compact 4WD utility Tractors with Chains on front tires. #3  
L5740

Chains on all 4 tires all winter every year.

/ Compact 4WD utility Tractors with Chains on front tires. #5  
I have a blade on my loader. When I push it takes some weight off of the front axle so front chains would not be that effective.. A front blower may take some weight off also when you are pushing it. I would go with rear chains. A rear axle is more durable than the front. Tirechains.com is good to deal with.

/ Compact 4WD utility Tractors with Chains on front tires. #6  
Do it! Front chains help a lot.

/ Compact 4WD utility Tractors with Chains on front tires. #7  
I run chains on all 4. All winter, every winter.
The difference is huge.

/ Compact 4WD utility Tractors with Chains on front tires. #8  
Problem is pushing a good head of snow with the blower and trying to go around a curve. The tires are clean and pulling good but the tractor will not turn. Need to stop, lift the blower, back up a bit and give her another push. I figure chains might be the best solution

Chains can be of great help but not for this specific issue. If you use the blower to push snow it gets heavier and -assuming you are in float mode- this will cause the tractor to pivot around its rear axle effectively lifting the front wheels off the ground. That's why the tractor won't turn. Chains that are not in firm contact with the ground won't be effective, you will still need to raise the blower somewhat to regain sufficient traction for steering.

/ Compact 4WD utility Tractors with Chains on front tires. #9  
Dose a JD 3320 have split brakes? They are are great help if you have them. Also if your 3320 is new I'd check the owners manual to see what it says about chains. Some configurations of some tractors are so compact that chains on the front can strike the loader arms when the wheels are at full turn and the arms are down. Also check the manual about the front weights. Normally you don't put weights on the front at the same time you have a loader mounted. Might be alright if the plow is light enough as your not lifting full buckets of gravel while plowing snow but check the permissible load on the front axle and tires to see if your exceeding it.

/ Compact 4WD utility Tractors with Chains on front tires. #10  
Would not suggest front chaise only. Do suggest for all four wheels. Use on our 4320. Huge impact on hills and steering.