Chain install

/ Chain install #1  

traveling fisher

Tractor
John deere
We have 9-10" of heavy wet snow. R4 tires compact it to smooth icy surface and I have HILLS on my drive. Picked up chains for my 2305 today. Any tips on installing so they stay on? One is on the other has come off three times. Even with one the tractor works well but more snow is on the way.

/ Chain install #2  
Are they coming unhooked or sliding off sideways? If they are sliding sideways you need to keep the side chain taut. Often this is done with tarp straps going across the outside and inside of the wheel but it can be done with anything. I have seen wire or even chain.

/ Chain install #3  
We have 9-10" of heavy wet snow. R4 tires compact it to smooth icy surface and I have HILLS on my drive. Picked up chains for my 2305 today. Any tips on installing so they stay on? One is on the other has come off three times. Even with one the tractor works well but more snow is on the way.

OK first things first:

The sloppy tire chain tells me you may have a tire bead or valve stem leak.

NOW the inside long chain should always be tightened to the last link for both rears.

The opposite chain outside should also be as tight as possible(last link) and it also will allow
the cross chains to be loose and fall forward as the tractor advances to gain traction.

NOW the thing to do is jack up one side let the air out and then reinstall the chains using
the last chain link and the lock if your chains have them.

Then simply put air back in the tires to the recommended air pressure.

Get some soapy water and put it on the valve stem and the tire bead of the suspect tire to check it.

You can always use very short rubber bungee cords or buy the rubber snow chain tensioners with hooks frpm NAPA.

IF THE CHAINS ARE TOO LOOSE THEY WILL FALL OFF.:eek:

/ Chain install
Thanks. I will try to reinstall. I did not let air out, only tightened the outside to the max. Sounds like I should tighten the inside to the max and then tighten the outside as much as possible.

/ Chain install #5  
Thanks. I will try to reinstall.
I did not let air out, only tightened
the outside to the max.

Sounds like I should tighten the inside
to the max and then tighten the outside
as much as possible.

Are you installing the chains with the cross chain ends exposed
-hook ends out like they are supposed to be?

Once you have them both deflated you will have no issue with
tightening both the inner and outer tensioners tight.

It wont hurt to have a spare pair of valve cores and a valve core tool
if you do not have them already.

Check the beads on the suspect tire with soapy water as well as the
valve stem for leakage using the soapy water.:cool2:

/ Chain install #6  
Tire chains are kind of a mystery if you are new to them . Jack it up and drape chains over top of tire , with the S hook on the inside and the actual tesioner on the outside .You want the cross chain hooks smooth side on tire . Wiggle them around and get cross chains sort of evenly spaced .Get under there and hook the inside as tight as possible . You may have extra links hanging , but that's okay .You may have to take a cross chain out also . Now wiggle things around and hook the outside as tight as possible .That outside breakover latch is the key . Geta couple bugees inside and out , you should be good to go . Idon't bother deflating because those tires are pretty stiff anyway , whatever floats your boat . Hope this helps .

/ Chain install
Thanks to all. Tire pressure was fine. I had not properly balanced the inside and outside tension so the chains were slipping off sideways. After reinstalling and properly tensioning, everything works well.