Powered plow wings

/ Powered plow wings #21  
The horst setup uses a rotary actuator to move the end of the wing , a robust but expensive setup.. Is this to go on the Kubota pictured ? You could use a bell crank and a cylinder to move an end around ..I am at a loss as to who uses a setup with a cyl but i have seen it ..

/ Powered plow wings #22  
Thanks for the info. Although, after getting a quote, I'm thinking twice about a Horst HLA. I realize that you get what you pay for, but a Blizzard Power Wing is half the money @ $4500. Business is good, when we get snow, but I don't think I can justify a $10k plow yet.
I had a Blizzard 810 Power plow on my '03 Dodge 3500 SRW. the plow is TOUGH! the plow gave no problems pushing snow commercially in Alaska! I started with a straight 8" blade and finally started using the 810PP. the 810 cut my plowing time by WAY more than 1/2. I will own another Blizzard if/when I move some place where it snows!

/ Powered plow wings
I had a Blizzard 810 Power plow on my '03 Dodge 3500 SRW. the plow is TOUGH! the plow gave no problems pushing snow commercially in Alaska! I started with a straight 8" blade and finally started using the 810PP. the 810 cut my plowing time by WAY more than 1/2. I will own another Blizzard if/when I move some place where it snows!
Fantastic! That is good to hear. As I mentioned, that is definitely one of my considerations.

/ Powered plow wings
You might want to look at a Boss V-plow, used to run them on skidsteers also seen them on tractors. They do twice the work of any straight blade.

I guess I didn't realize they have a skid steer mount. My buddy runs all Boss plows. He's been very happy with them. I'm impressed how they are made.

/ Powered plow wings #25  
The horst setup uses a rotary actuator to move the end of the wing , a robust but expensive setup.. Is this to go on the Kubota pictured ? You could use a bell crank and a cylinder to move an end around ..I am at a loss as to who uses a setup with a cyl but i have seen it ..

Machinability makes it with a HUD cylinder

/ Powered plow wings
So I got a price on a Blizzard 810ss yesterday. $5453. Ouch! Don't like the cutting edge on them. Looks like it will be lucky to last 3-4 snows and you can't flip it over so you have to buy new ones.

Last edited:
   / Powered plow wings #27  
A good friend ran 2 of them commercially and they were fine for a couple of years then the leaks and metal fatigue started. I'll stick with the push boxes and v-plows. After 20+years of commercial plowing they have been the best and most reliable combination. CJ

/ Powered plow wings
A good friend ran 2 of them commercially and they were fine for a couple of years then the leaks and metal fatigue started. I'll stick with the push boxes and v-plows. After 20+years of commercial plowing they have been the best and most reliable combination. CJ
I definitely agree about the snow pusher, but I'm not a fan of v-plows on loaders. They work way better on trucks. I have an 8' snow pusher. It's great. But I can't always carry two plows with me, especially when I just drive the tractor. I have a difficult combination of commercial and residentials. Some of my residents have driveways 1/4 mile long, so I have to be able to windrow. Thanks for the heads up on your buddies plows though. Maybe I have to spend the big money on a Machinability or Horst. Or... maybe I gotta buy another tractor to help. YEAH THAT'S IT! :laughing:

/ Powered plow wings #29  
I definitely agree about the snow pusher, but I'm not a fan of v-plows on loaders. They work way better on trucks. I have an 8' snow pusher. It's great. But I can't always carry two plows with me, especially when I just drive the tractor. I have a difficult combination of commercial and residentials. Some of my residents have driveways 1/4 mile long, so I have to be able to windrow. Thanks for the heads up on your buddies plows though. Maybe I have to spend the big money on a Machinability or Horst. Or... maybe I gotta buy another tractor to help. YEAH THAT'S IT! :laughing:
My tractor with chains and loaded tires pushes so much harder than pickups I can only imagine the failure would be quicker on a tractor than a truck. I have toyed with the idea of a V on my tractor but the box does everything I need it to do. Check with MIE [Michigan Iron] and see what Bob and Tony can come up with. I think for commercial use that would be your best bet. CJ

/ Powered plow wings
My tractor with chains and loaded tires pushes so much harder than pickups I can only imagine the failure would be quicker on a tractor than a truck. I have toyed with the idea of a V on my tractor but the box does everything I need it to do. Check with MIE [Michigan Iron] and see what Bob and Tony can come up with. I think for commercial use that would be your best bet. CJ
Again I agree with you. My tractor out pushes a truck, but I have run v-plows on skid loaders and it is very difficult to get the blade to sit flat. You constantly have to play with the loader arm height an well as QA angle. Seems like it always leaves trails. On a truck there is one pivot point only. The cutting edges wear more even and you don't have as many trails. I won't put another v-plow on a loader.