Powered plow wings

/ Powered plow wings #1  

High Compression

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740-3/ Kubota ZD21 pro60
Ok, I know that there is no perfect tool for every application. And generally the more things you try to make a tool fit, the worse is gets at doing any one job well. For example a crescent wrench doesn't fit anything.

I know my containment plow moves more snow and cleans up trails better. I know that my angle blade opens up long driveways, lanes etc. Both do a decent job back dragging from garage doors.

I have had fixed wings on many plows before, and loved them. They do get in the way from time to time as well. So, I was wandering, who of you out there have a Blizzard Power Plow, or MachinAbility power side wing, or some other hydraulic powered winged snow plow? What are your thoughts on reliability, efficiency, cost, etc.? How does your tractor handle them? Are they super heavy?

Oh and I need pix too. We all love pix.

2.23.13.jpg 2.20.13.jpg L5740 1.jpg

Here's my very first set of wings that I fab'd up.
100_2243.jpg 100_2430.jpg 100_2240.jpg

100_2431.jpg 100_2432.JPG 100_2435.jpg

/ Powered plow wings #3  
No experience with them but the plow on my wish list is a blizzard speed-wing. Where the trailing edge wing automatically goes straight when fully angled to help windrowing. Cause the only complaint about my fixed wings is that it dont wind row well unless I take the trailing wing off.

But...to me, it just looked like more cylinders, hoses, valves, wiring, and more moving parts to go wrong.

Kinda like the KISS theory. Keep it simple stupid.:thumbsup:

/ Powered plow wings #4  
Nice looking wing setup.
Light fluffy snow looks like it will darn good,but the heavy wet???

/ Powered plow wings
No experience with them but the plow on my wish list is a blizzard speed-wing. Where the trailing edge wing automatically goes straight when fully angled to help windrowing. Cause the only complaint about my fixed wings is that it dont wind row well unless I take the trailing wing off.

But...to me, it just looked like more cylinders, hoses, valves, wiring, and more moving parts to go wrong.

Kinda like the KISS theory. Keep it simple stupid.:thumbsup:

I agree totally. I had thought about that as well. But, you can't get very close to a building to back drag because the wings stick forward too far. Otherwise I would just make another set of fixed wings.

/ Powered plow wings
Nice looking wing setup.
Light fluffy snow looks like it will darn good,but the heavy wet???

Depending on the accumulation, I do just fine. The 14" light fluffy snow was even too much to use the box plow on. I had such a mountain in 20 ft. that I would run out of traction. So I had to stick to the angle blade. But 6" or less regardless of wet or fluffy, I can push the length of a football field pretty easy.

/ Powered plow wings #8  
I agree totally. I had thought about that as well. But, you can't get very close to a building to back drag because the wings stick forward too far. Otherwise I would just make another set of fixed wings.

I see your point now. I guess I dont pay much attention because I dont have to get too close to things. If I get within 2-3' when backdragging, that is more than enough.

And even with the design of my back blade, the way the braces and angle fuctions are on it, I can get just as close with my plow and wings as I can with the rear-blade.

I think they make plows that have fully hydraulic wings where you can run everything straight if you want.....

But for me, that would turn into just too many buttons on the control :confused2: I like the simple up down left right:thumbsup:

/ Powered plow wings #9  
I have a new HLA/Horst welding 7' plow without wings. It is well designed and very sturdy.
They make a winged plow that has wings that can go forward OR back for boxblade like forward motion or for backdragging close to doors etc. They probably start at a large size and go up to 20' wing span!
Check out their site. The plows are AMAZING, but not cheap for what you get.

/ Powered plow wings
I have a new HLA/Horst welding 7' plow without wings. It is well designed and very sturdy.
They make a winged plow that has wings that can go forward OR back for boxblade like forward motion or for backdragging close to doors etc. They probably start at a large size and go up to 20' wing span!
Check out their site. The plows are AMAZING, but not cheap for what you get.

Yes they make good looking plows from what I can see on the internet. Unfortunately no dealers here in KC. Maybe I should become one!:laughing: