Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Platinum Member High Compression's Avatar
    Tractor
    Kubota L5740-3/ Kubota ZD21 pro60

Default Powered plow wings

Ok, I know that there is no perfect tool for every application. And generally the more things you try to make a tool fit, the worse is gets at doing any one job well. For example a crescent wrench doesn't fit anything.

I know my containment plow moves more snow and cleans up trails better. I know that my angle blade opens up long driveways, lanes etc. Both do a decent job back dragging from garage doors.

I have had fixed wings on many plows before, and loved them. They do get in the way from time to time as well. So, I was wandering, who of you out there have a Blizzard Power Plow, or MachinAbility power side wing, or some other hydraulic powered winged snow plow? What are your thoughts on reliability, efficiency, cost, etc.? How does your tractor handle them? Are they super heavy?

Oh and I need pix too. We all love pix.

-2-23-13-jpg -2-20-13-jpg -l5740-1-jpg

Here's my very first set of wings that I fab'd up.
    -100_2243-jpg -100_2430-jpg -100_2240-jpg

-100_2431-jpg -100_2432-jpg -100_2435-jpg
    "It is better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and prove it."

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 5083E MWFD, Kubota L3400 HST

Default Re: Powered plow wings

wasn't there a power adjustable snow box from a company? Like this one on youtube? Horst SnowWing Incredible snow plow. - YouTube
    '11 John Deere 5083E, 563NSL Loader, MX10 Mower, 78" Bucket, Forks/Bale spear (interchangeable)
    L3400 Kubota HST Loader, finish mower, rake, scraper blade, Gin pole, Kustom Fab front hydraulic snow plow (Inspired by ASGAR),

'01 International 4700 LP, DT530, Allison MD3060, Air Ride, Crew Cab
    '11 Moritz 20+5 14.5K GN with adj. Tail
    '95 CR 500
    FIL-JD 4020; Ford 9600,5000

Tractor
    Kubota l3400

No experience with them but the plow on my wish list is a blizzard speed-wing. Where the trailing edge wing automatically goes straight when fully angled to help windrowing. Cause the only complaint about my fixed wings is that it dont wind row well unless I take the trailing wing off.

But...to me, it just looked like more cylinders, hoses, valves, wiring, and more moving parts to go wrong.

Kinda like the KISS theory. Keep it simple stupid.
    ".........there is only one way to find out."
    "Ok, hold my beer and watch this.........."

Ford 5500 Backhoe
    Kubota L3400GST W/LA463 FEL
    2005 Dodge 3500 4x4 Diesel
    8N Rebuilt and restored
    Bushhog 306
    3 Homemade wood hauling trailers
    Dolmar 6400 84cc ported
    Sachs-Dolmar 120SI Ported
    (4) Sachs-Dolmar 116SI Ported
    Dolmar PS540
    Sachs-Dolmar 115i
    Sachs-Dolmar 117
    Sachs-Dolmar 112

Tractor
    Kubota L2800HST w/Frontloader & CC LTX1046

Nice looking wing setup.
    Light fluffy snow looks like it will darn good,but the heavy wet???

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by RedNeckRacin View Post
    wasn't there a power adjustable snow box from a company? Like this one on youtube? Horst SnowWing Incredible snow plow. - YouTube
    That's exactly what I'm talking about. But I don't know anyone with one to ask their opion.

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by LD1 View Post
    No experience with them but the plow on my wish list is a blizzard speed-wing. Where the trailing edge wing automatically goes straight when fully angled to help windrowing. Cause the only complaint about my fixed wings is that it dont wind row well unless I take the trailing wing off.

But...to me, it just looked like more cylinders, hoses, valves, wiring, and more moving parts to go wrong.

Kinda like the KISS theory. Keep it simple stupid.
    I agree totally. I had thought about that as well. But, you can't get very close to a building to back drag because the wings stick forward too far. Otherwise I would just make another set of fixed wings.

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    Nice looking wing setup.
    Light fluffy snow looks like it will darn good,but the heavy wet???
    Depending on the accumulation, I do just fine. The 14" light fluffy snow was even too much to use the box plow on. I had such a mountain in 20 ft. that I would run out of traction. So I had to stick to the angle blade. But 6" or less regardless of wet or fluffy, I can push the length of a football field pretty easy.

Tractor
    Kubota l3400

Quote Originally Posted by High Compression View Post
    I agree totally. I had thought about that as well. But, you can't get very close to a building to back drag because the wings stick forward too far. Otherwise I would just make another set of fixed wings.
    I see your point now. I guess I dont pay much attention because I dont have to get too close to things. If I get within 2-3' when backdragging, that is more than enough.

And even with the design of my back blade, the way the braces and angle fuctions are on it, I can get just as close with my plow and wings as I can with the rear-blade.

I think they make plows that have fully hydraulic wings where you can run everything straight if you want.....

But for me, that would turn into just too many buttons on the control I like the simple up down left right
    ".........there is only one way to find out."
    "Ok, hold my beer and watch this.........."

Ford 5500 Backhoe
    Kubota L3400GST W/LA463 FEL
    2005 Dodge 3500 4x4 Diesel
    8N Rebuilt and restored
    Bushhog 306
    3 Homemade wood hauling trailers
    Dolmar 6400 84cc ported
    Sachs-Dolmar 120SI Ported
    (4) Sachs-Dolmar 116SI Ported
    Dolmar PS540
    Sachs-Dolmar 115i
    Sachs-Dolmar 117
    Sachs-Dolmar 112

Tractor
    '10 Kioti DK 40se/hst KL-401 FEL, loaded tires, KB-2485 bhoe, Tuffline TB160 boxblade, Woods QA forks, MIE Hydraulic bhoe thumb & ripper tooth, Igland 4001 winch, & GR-20 Log Grapple. Woods BBX72" Mower. Diamondplate aluminum canopy.

I have a new HLA/Horst welding 7' plow without wings. It is well designed and very sturdy.
    They make a winged plow that has wings that can go forward OR back for boxblade like forward motion or for backdragging close to doors etc. They probably start at a large size and go up to 20' wing span!
    Check out their site. The plows are AMAZING, but not cheap for what you get.
    2010 DK-40se/hst, Kioti KL-401 FEL, (reversible Kioti cutting edge), 72" Ratchet Rake. Fit Rite Top-N-Tilt hydraulics & diverter valve. HLA Series 2000 7' snowplow, Aquiline MPC rear chains. Samuri Sickle bar.

Scag Wildcat: Kawasaki 26HP, with bagger. Dr. brush mower, & 42" lawn deck, Dr. self propelled, 6.5HP Trimmer mower. Pro-Mow 3 gang mower, no HP.

Bunch of STIHL chainsaws: 011x 2, MS192T, MS200T, MS180C, MS230, MS270 (Wood Boss), 038 Farmboss, '86 anniversary edition.

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote machine View Post
    I have a new HLA/Horst welding 7' plow without wings. It is well designed and very sturdy.
    They make a winged plow that has wings that can go forward OR back for boxblade like forward motion or for backdragging close to doors etc. They probably start at a large size and go up to 20' wing span!
    Check out their site. The plows are AMAZING, but not cheap for what you get.
    Yes they make good looking plows from what I can see on the internet. Unfortunately no dealers here in KC. Maybe I should become one!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast