Tractor
    Kubota L3430 HST, LA723 loader

Default How to improve steering a JD316 Garden Tractor with snow blower attachment up front?

I have a JD316, it is rear wheel drive with rear wheel weights, rear weights on a rack, and chains on rear wheels.

Steering is troublesome with the snow blower that has a mind of its own. What do you suggest? I need all the weight on the rear for traction.

Chains on the front tires? If so that seems to interfere with turning what kind?

Thanks, Bruce

Veteran Member

Default Re: How to improve steering a JD316 Garden Tractor with snow blower attachment up fro

Bolt some front wheel weights on the front wheels. I just lift the snowblower slightly on my Gravely rider if I have trouble with steering when blowing.
    2007 Kubota L3130, LA723 FEL
    Land Pride FDR1672 rear finish mower, Frontier RB1172, Koyker KB60 BH
    Pallet forks, Golf cart canopy bolted to ROPS, 9" & 12" PHD

Tractor
    Kubota L3430 HST, LA723 loader

Default Re: How to improve steering a JD316 Garden Tractor with snow blower attachment up fro

That is a good idea.

I should add it is operating on a hilly gravel driveway in the woods. To keep gravel out of blower I let a base of slippery packed snow/ice build up. So even lifting the blower up slightly or weights may not work.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX25

I've got a BX25 with a 50" blower, without loaded tires but with chains on turfs. I had a 400 lb ballast box the first yr. and found that the box made my front end light and I had trouble steering in the float position, and even with the blower up a little. So I emptied the box of weight which helped a lot and this year I didn't even put it on and that worked great. I thought I needed all that weight on the rear to have traction but it turned out to be not necessary. I have a couple of little hills but the chains took care of them.
    I'm in agreement with hawkeye; in your case I would add weight to the front wheels.

Dean
    Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

BX25, BX2750D Snowblower, Bro-Tek thumb, BXpanded Forks and Under Armor, Ballast Box, 3-PT Pallet Forks ...... My Kubota Pics

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Branson 2400H

2WD & Snow blower always is a hard combination to make turn in snow and ice especially with out individual brakes. I have had to back up and turn then start blowing again. Like Hawkeye said, slightly lifting the blower Vs in float will also put weight on the front wheels to aide in turning.
    Artificial Intelligence will never overcome natural stupidity.

Branson 2400H MMM & FEL

JD 112

BX1850 gone but not forgotten