Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    '07 John Deere 3320

Pipe is a good idea. But I would use two bolts welded to the pipe and fit it to the shoe mounts. If you have any concrete you can tilt the blade down and still use the cutting edge if needed. M2c

Tractor
    1993 NH 2120 (the best), 1974 MF 135 (sold, but solid), 1947 Farmall A (bought, sold, bought back, sold again), 1956 MH50 lbt (sold, in 1980, darn it)

Someone on TBN suggested this: when the snow has ceased, drag the piles with the embedded gravel back to the edge of the "paving" so there's less on the lawn. This has worked for me. I use the bix i keep on all winter. (No power broom nor the back to run one.)
    Jim
    "Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly" Mae West

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kioti LK3054xs

Default Re: Plowing Snow Over Gravel in Spring

Quote Originally Posted by dave1949 View Post

This winter had it share of thaws making it impossible to have a frozen snow-packed driveway surface for very long.
    We "lucked out" (if that's the term you want to use) with this last storm in where it got quite cold (single #s at night) for several days before the storm, causing the driveway to re-freeze. It was a powder-y snow here, so I was able to use the ATV to plow it...easy enough with that to set the plow height so it doesn't quite hit the ground. No gravel on lawn!

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B3300SU

Anyone tried using a rotary broom mounted to the tractor to put the gravel back on the lane? Like one of these:

pic here

Tractor
    john deere 3520,x749

Quote Originally Posted by CDN Farm Boy View Post
    Anyone tried using a rotary broom mounted to the tractor to put the gravel back on the lane? Like one of these:

pic here
    I use a deere 51 inch broom. Works like a champ. If the ground is soft it does have a tendency to push larger stones like 2b down instead of moving them out. But on dry or just barley frozen ground its like sweeping them off asphalt. It works great getting the small DOT applied anti-skid out of the grass . You can get brushes with different stiffness that would be more aggressive but my experience is only with the ones that came with the broom.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B3350

I love MUD SEASON! With freeze thaw cycle we got going now I going to have a new crop of rocks to deal with!

Tractor
    Kubota L2800HST w/Frontloader & CC LTX1046

Sandy.
    Yep this corner of states known for it...good stonewalls.

Tractor
    Kubota L3240 HSTC

Quote Originally Posted by CDN Farm Boy View Post

pic here
    The power broom works great! I used to rent a walk behind one every spring just for getting the rocks off the lawn. A couple years ago I came across one on ebay that I stold. It was a 60" Sweepster with electric/hydraulic tilt and side to side turning for my Grasshopper mower in like NEW condition. I paid $50.00 plus $110.00 shipping for it because seller forgot to put a reserve on it. I even offered him more to since he put it on a pallet to ship but he said it was his own dumb*** fault for not putting a reserve on it.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    2012 Kioti CK27HST w/cab

Quote Originally Posted by dave1949 View Post
    I never heard of "mud season" before living in Maine. If some are wondering what that is, it's when the ground is frozen and the top inch or two thaws. With ice below it, it can't drain into the ground, so it just sits there in soupy saturation, then refreezes overnight.

My driveway is generously wide in several places. I try to stack the snow in those wide areas. When the snow melts the gravel lands on driveway. All summer I think my drive is ridiculously spread out. All winter I think it's too small.

This winter had it share of thaws making it impossible to have a frozen snow-packed driveway surface for very long.

Asphalt would be nice, but not with my chains and I don't want to give those up.
    Asphalt just advertises to the thieves that you have money.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra Max28XL HST

Quote Originally Posted by Looking4new

Asphalt just advertises to the thieves that you have money.
    HAD money.
    http://www.ohr.edu/838
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9BfhxL_JTI
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8UEVoSJmfs

If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine;and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free. Ancient of Days

My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37aM75LaEDk&list=PLGLwt3_lSbxxRtjMLHJDpqEK 9vcq9IfsJ

t

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast