Snow Equipment Buying/Pricing still shopping for a 3pt snow blower.... Is Lorenz a good snowblower?

/ still shopping for a 3pt snow blower.... Is Lorenz a good snowblower? #1  

jvolock

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti RX6010 with FEL Schulte 3pt 7400 snowblower, Heavy duty rear blade
While spring is just around the corner here in Colorado and the rear blade I just got works great, I"m looking ahead to when the snow level gets too deep for my rear blade. The width of my Kioti RX6010 tractor is just over 68", I was thinking I need at least a 6' or perhaps an 7' rear snow blower. The Provenost blowers are more than I want (or can afford as I have 2 kids in college) to spend but I want to buy a good blower that when the need arises I'm ready to clear my 3/8 mile long driveway.

I almost bought a 72" Buhler/Farmking blower earlier this winter but at the last second decided to hold off. I'm looking at a Lorenz 38 series but wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts on both of these units and what I should expect to pay. I'm also hoping that a dealer has a couple of these units on their yard that they might be willing to sell for a discount rather than carry the unit through the summe

Appreciate everyone's help.

Kioti RX6010.jpg

/ still shopping for a 3pt snow blower.... Is Lorenz a good snowblower? #2  
I can't comment on the Lorenz blower but will say that an 84" (7') blower will serve you well over the 72" one. I have the 73" Farm King blower and had to add wings to extend the effective clearing area as the 72" isn't enough in my opion. I bought mine used for $800 so that had something to do with the decision to buy the 72" - good used ones are hard to come by.
I expect you could very well get a good deal buying after the winter is over. I saw exactly that a couple of years ago when a 84" Lucknow went for $2799 instead of around $4000 they would normally ask. Obviously prices vary with location and normal weather conditions etc.
By the way, the Allied Farm King look to be quite a solidly built blower - I know mine is and it is a 1986 model and still going strong.

Jim

/ still shopping for a 3pt snow blower.... Is Lorenz a good snowblower? #3  
I agree with Jim, on a 6' wide tractor (or nearly so) you should opt for a 7 footer if you elect to go new. 6 footer are not as common, at least up here. A good used bargain priced 6' would still do.

Never heard of Lorenz, I had a Normand/Econor_ they are pricey but so well built, those and Pronovost are the cat's meow.

/ still shopping for a 3pt snow blower.... Is Lorenz a good snowblower? #4  
While spring is just around the corner here in Colorado and the rear blade I just got works great, I"m looking ahead to when the snow level gets too deep for my rear blade. The width of my Kioti RX6010 tractor is just over 68", I was thinking I need at least a 6' or perhaps an 7' rear snow blower. The Provenost blowers are more than I want (or can afford as I have 2 kids in college) to spend but I want to buy a good blower that when the need arises I'm ready to clear my 3/8 mile long driveway.

I almost bought a 72" Buhler/Farmking blower earlier this winter but at the last second decided to hold off. I'm looking at a Lorenz 38 series but wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts on both of these units and what I should expect to pay. I'm also hoping that a dealer has a couple of these units on their yard that they might be willing to sell for a discount rather than carry the unit through the summe

Appreciate everyone's help.

View attachment 309788

Its a matter of your sanity and time available as far as the purchase goes.
ANY and I mean ANY rear or front mounted snow caster will
clog UNLESS one simply drives at a slow speed with relation to the
air temperature which affects the snow temperature.

The other issue is the overnight freeze thaw cycles which WILL condense
the snowpack.

The open augers are the reason why this happens due to the
open paddle configuration of the augers where the simple act
of traveling too fast will force more snow into the cross auger
housing flooding the impeller housing tot he point where the
impeller with either work or flood and then clog.

If every 2 stage unit had a solid cross auger assembly feeding snow
to the center of the auger housing tthe snow would be cast farther
at a very high rate of tonnage per hour.

A wider snow caster will permit you to open one lane and then take
half cuts if desired.

The issue with a deep snow pack is this the cross auger will feed to much
snow into the impeller and then the chute will clog simply from the heat
generated by the friction of the snow exiting the chute.

This is why the snow caster with the rotating impeller drum permits the operator
to bypass the chute and spout entirely eliminating this issue when you can cast the snow
to the left or right along the path of travel.

The Pronovost P862TRC with an 84 inch working width will operate with a
50-75 horsepower tractor according to the company.

The other issue you should look at is this:

A snow caster of any brand will outlast your tractor and it will work on
the next tractor as well.

If you look at as an accounting problem the more money you spend up
front for an attachment will allow you to buy a larger, heavier built unit
will simply work with no issues and it will cost you less money to maintain it
Because you bought a wider stronger built unit.

/ still shopping for a 3pt snow blower.... Is Lorenz a good snowblower?
Thanks for the input. While its always nice to go big and buy top of the line, if the checkbook won't allow the reach no matter how much you want it, you have to look for good solidly built mid level units that will do the job.

/ still shopping for a 3pt snow blower.... Is Lorenz a good snowblower? #6  
When I was looking a couple of years ago I ended up buying a Lorenz 6310. It cost a little more but I really like the way it is built. The cross augers are built strong and are designed to chew away at snowbanks. We have gotten a lot of snow this year and I smile everytime I use it.

/ still shopping for a 3pt snow blower.... Is Lorenz a good snowblower? #7  
Thats what they call making payments to the bank to use their capital purchase it.

Leonz.... i guess you missed the part about having 2 kids in College.... my banker is already a good friend who I make direct deposits to weekly. Appreciate the advice.

/ still shopping for a 3pt snow blower.... Is Lorenz a good snowblower? #9  
I've heard very good things about Lorenz blowers.

I have the ubercheap 72" Nortrac blower. Blows snow like a beast, but the build quality isn't perfect and the manual chute rotation in particular is a piece of junk. Still, cheap. I definitely second what others have said- get a blower at least 6 inches wider than your tractor.

hhsco, thanks for the info and advice.