Looking to get a 54 inch John Deere snow blower

/ Looking to get a 54 inch John Deere snow blower #1  

logankelly

Bronze Member
Tractor
jd2520
Before next winter I am going to get a 54 inch snow blower for my 2720
Need some input on likes and dislikes and did they ever go back to a steel impropeller?

/ Looking to get a 54 inch John Deere snow blower #2  
For the past 20 years i have had Buhler/Farm king blowers. I am on my second one now, wore the first on out after 18 years of abuse.I rebuilt the first one 2 times last rebuild the parts were going to cost more than a new machine. Dont be scared by this statement because i was doing 6 driveways at least 2 times a day that were 1500 - 2000 feet long. For normal use this machine will last a life time. Farm King/ Buhler is a good machine with good parts availability and reasonably priced. Heres some pice of mine and the new one. . . . .John

Attachments

• My tractor 003.jpg
    My tractor 003.jpg
    546.2 KB · Views: 647
  • My tractor 004.jpg
    My tractor 004.jpg
    587.4 KB · Views: 345
  • 050.jpg
    050.jpg
    908.7 KB · Views: 1,269
  • 051.jpg
    051.jpg
    592.2 KB · Views: 410
  • 047.jpg
    047.jpg
    472.1 KB · Views: 656
  • My tractor 003.jpg
    My tractor 003.jpg
    545 KB · Views: 469
  • My tractor 007.jpg
    My tractor 007.jpg
    429.6 KB · Views: 425
  • tractor 06.jpg
    tractor 06.jpg
    504.1 KB · Views: 675
   / Looking to get a 54 inch John Deere snow blower #3  
Need some input on likes and dislikes and did they ever go back to a steel impropeller?

I just bought mine last July and it has the plastic impeller. It looks like recent 47" blowers now use the plastic impeller as well. I purchased a metal impeller for mine. I have it here sitting in the box waiting for the weather to warm up again so I can install it.

/ Looking to get a 54 inch John Deere snow blower #4  

It all depends on how much you can afford to
spend and the horsepower at the power take off.

You can purchase the next larger snow blower size and have the ability
to travel faster on the second and further passes using a half cut if desired.

The Lorenz and Pronovost brands have steel impellers as standard equipment

/ Looking to get a 54 inch John Deere snow blower #5  
If you are talking about the front blower from Deere, I have been running the 54in. blower on my JD 2305 and have zero complaints about it. I have never plugged it up and I blow anything that falls here in Maine. Dry snow, corn snow, wet, slush, water, anything and it just blows it. If I keep feeding it enough, it doesn't plug. I was also concerned about the composite impeller when I bought it. If I had one with a metal impeller, I would probably change it for the composite one. Nothing sticks to it. After six winters and blowing small rocks, sand, mud, etc., there is not even a nick on the impeller. This front mounter JD blower is a good rugged machine. The only thing I added was the cable raise and lower the deflector on the chute. It also blows quite a volume of snow and at a surprising distance. I have no regrets about the blower or the composite(plastic) impeller fan.

/ Looking to get a 54 inch John Deere snow blower #6  
You can purchase the next larger snow blower size and have the ability
to travel faster on the second and further passes using a half cut if desired.

Why would you pay for a bigger blower, then intentionally take small cuts?

JD doesn't make a larger size for the 2720. You'd have to go to another brand, but I don't think anyone makes a wider front-mount one that will bolt directly onto a 2720 for less than double the price of the 54" JD.

/ Looking to get a 54 inch John Deere snow blower #7  
If you are talking about the front blower from Deere, I have been running the 54in. blower on my JD 2305 and have zero complaints about it.

Your experience has been different than mine. I have a gravel driveway which I have been clearing with various snowblowers for 25 years. I just bought the 2720 and 54" blower in July and we had virtually a non-winter. As a result I mostly cleared snow with the rear blade and only got to use the blower for around 2 hours. My plastic impeller already has a lot of battle scars to the extent that it has me wondering how long it will last. I am very good at minimizing the gravel that it picks up. I have the shoes adjusted to around 2". By comparison, my 13HP 33" MTD walk-behind snowblower is almost 15 years old, has handled countless brutal winter snow falls, has a metal impeller the same size as the 54" JD and other than some paint missing it looks like the day I bought it.

Unfortunately I wil lnow have to wait for next winter to report if my new metal impeller in the 54" blower works better than the plastic one.

/ Looking to get a 54 inch John Deere snow blower
is your metal impeller a John Deere part or a after market item?

/ Looking to get a 54 inch John Deere snow blower #9  
is your metal impeller a John Deere part or a after market item?

No, it is the JD OEM part for the 47" blower - which several forum members have used as a replacement. If I recall, the part number was AM109105.

/ Looking to get a 54 inch John Deere snow blower #10  
Why would you pay for a bigger blower, then intentionally take small cuts?

JD doesn't make a larger size for the 2720. You'd have to go to another brand, but I don't think anyone makes a wider front-mount one that will bolt directly onto a 2720 for less than double the price of the 54" JD.

A number of the members on the forum have blowers larger than what
their mules can power, they simply clear snow at slower pace in reverse
The idea is simply that you may have a smaller tractor but a wider
snow caster will clear the lanes at a slightly slower speed with no difficulty
as the entire cross auger is used against the snowpack and the gear reduction
on the snow casters cross auger and impeller operates with no difficulty.