First Install of 54" plow - procrastinated...

/ First Install of 54" plow - procrastinated... #1  

dakotagun

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 2305
OK, so "winter" should be over. I bought a 2305 last fall and have added a few attachments since based on the stage of our new home project and 3 acre plot. The 54" blower was included in the original package, but I never installed it because our move-in date has been pushed back months - I thought I could squeak through the last of winter with my Boss Vplow. Well, over the past four weeks (or basically since we actually 'moved in') it has stormed nearly every weekend; first 8", then 8", then yesterday's 15". WTH?
So I spent Saturday trying to attach and lube the blower : ( Have to get some parts I never knew were missing (shaft rod, hose guides... I know, shame on me!) but it should be ready to go when I get home from work tonight. We're having a real special spring - with folks nervously awaiting the big 'melt' to see how it impacts the Mouse River (flooded worst-in-history back in 2011). I don't have river worries, but with lots of snow on the ground still and temps hovering in the 30 range, i'll have drainage issues (erosion) and mud for weeks and weeks.
Have a 100' driveway (mostly clay still, gravel coming when dry) and 1.5 mile gravel road to pavement that I've been hitting with the plow, which has worked fine til now... need to blow some of the snowpack towards the drainage ditches and minimize overland flooding.
Gotta admit, kinda looking forward to the evening's activities...
spring yard.JPG
taken before the storms, will be totally covered in new white stuff...

Last edited:
   / First Install of 54" plow - procrastinated...
Install went ok - was easier than I thought. Moved lots of snow, probably 3-4' high. Seems pretty loud, but feathering the up/down after a bit seemed to help. Need to put on my chains next winter - I'm counting on this last 20" to be the last dump of the season!
Thanks for all the help along the way - learned a bunch from this crowd :).

/ First Install of 54" plow - procrastinated... #3  
We had at least 14" here in Dickey County. I still had the snowblower on my Massey 1528, but had taken the chains off just before seeing the forecast for the previous storm. Great timing. But, without the giant drifts I enjoyed in the most recent near-blizzard, I had no traction issues on my 1/3 mile road. May finally have blown out the last "blowable" snow! I also got a tremendous amount of good advice about snow management on this forum—we are newly-returned to North Dakota after many years in Arizona.

/ First Install of 54" plow - procrastinated...
that's a nice tractor/size. if I would've done some research here before buying, probably would've ended up with a little larger rig myself. thinking about picking up a FEL soon, have lots and lots of landscaping and driveway-building chores to do this summer. hope my 2305 is up to it. 2305 bb_sb.jpeg