Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Newbie with a 3 mile snowplow challenge

/ Newbie with a 3 mile snowplow challenge #21  
leonz
Respectfully disagree...I lived at 6500' elevation in the Sierra Nevadas for 15 + years with an average of 4 to 8 feet of the lovely white stuff and a plow truck is the only way to go..3/4 ton 4x4 with studded mud and snows and if it really got nasty would chain all 4 up and go on my merry way.I plowed both private and commercial.
regard's
Sean..

/ Newbie with a 3 mile snowplow challenge #22  
I would go with something like a Kubota M7040 and a front blade. A subframe mounted would be awesome.

/ Newbie with a 3 mile snowplow challenge #23  
Would you run into some kind of liability issue plowing the county road?
Cam

/ Newbie with a 3 mile snowplow challenge #24  
Here is my solution. A truck mounted plow is faster but this can be the backup to twitch out the truck "When" you get it stuck and you can pile and push back snow with either the plow blade or switch back to the loader bucket. This is faster then a rear mounted snow blower and you don't have to be an owl for hours at a time.

/ Newbie with a 3 mile snowplow challenge #25  
There are limits to what a snow plow can handle. If you can't get the snow far off the road and into the ditch from the snow plow then the banks do start to pile up. You can get the banks high enough that you can't cast snow over them and then you've got a problem. Having said that there's no two ways about it; There is nothing faster for snow removal over a distance (like roads or long driveways) than a plow.

I don't know what your budget is but I would offer this advice. A snowblower alone is not very efficient for clearing a 3 mile road, while a plow alone can get overwhelmed and get to a point that it isn't effective without a snowblower or loader to remove snow banks. So the answer in my opinion is both. You could either use a plow truck AND a tractor equipped with a large snowblower or get a big Ag tractor with a front mounted snow plow AND a rear mounted big blower. My personal choice in a situation described by the OP would be something like a 150 horsepower or bigger tractor with a front snow plow blade and a big Pronovost, Schulte or Normand snowblower. You can plow quickly and efficiently with the storm and at least make the road clear in a short period of time with the snow blade. Then once the storm is over go back and cast the snow banks left behind from the plow far off the road with the snowblower. I think if budget would allow the absolute best solution would be a tractor with blade and blower as I described above with another slightly smaller tractor with a Normand pull behind snowblower. You can actually cast snow far and at a decent speed with one of those pull behind blowers.

In my opinion the ONLY option is to maintain the road for vehicle traffic throughout the season if guests are to occupy the business throughout snow season. As has been said previously things like medical emergencies, fire,etc will require that emergency vehicles can access the facility. Unfortunately maintaining the road throughout the winter is the cost of doing business.

/ Newbie with a 3 mile snowplow challenge #27  
There are limits to what a snow plow can handle. If you can't get the snow far off the road and into the ditch from the snow plow then the banks do start to pile up. You can get the banks high enough that you can't cast snow over them and then you've got a problem. Having said that there's no two ways about it; There is nothing faster for snow removal over a distance (like roads or long driveways) than a plow.

I don't know what your budget is but I would offer this advice. A snowblower alone is not very efficient for clearing a 3 mile road, while a plow alone can get overwhelmed and get to a point that it isn't effective without a snowblower or loader to remove snow banks. So the answer in my opinion is both. You could either use a plow truck AND a tractor equipped with a large snowblower or get a big Ag tractor with a front mounted snow plow AND a rear mounted big blower. My personal choice in a situation described by the OP would be something like a 150 horsepower or bigger tractor with a front snow plow blade and a big Pronovost, Schulte or Normand snowblower. You can plow quickly and efficiently with the storm and at least make the road clear in a short period of time with the snow blade. Then once the storm is over go back and cast the snow banks left behind from the plow far off the road with the snowblower. I think if budget would allow the absolute best solution would be a tractor with blade and blower as I described above with another slightly smaller tractor with a Normand pull behind snowblower. You can actually cast snow far and at a decent speed with one of those pull behind blowers.

In my opinion the ONLY option is to maintain the road for vehicle traffic throughout the season if guests are to occupy the business throughout snow season. As has been said previously things like medical emergencies, fire,etc will require that emergency vehicles can access the facility. Unfortunately maintaining the road throughout the winter is the cost of doing business.
That's what I said in post number 3.
That is exactly what the OP needs, nothing more, nothing less. :thumbsup:

/ Newbie with a 3 mile snowplow challenge #28  
a 150 horsepower or bigger tractor with a front snow plow blade and a big Pronovost, Schulte or Normand snowblower.

Problems are much easier to solve with someone else's wallet. ;)

/ Newbie with a 3 mile snowplow challenge #29  
Problems are much easier to solve with someone else's wallet. ;)

It's quite possible that no truer words have been spoken! ;)

Also I probably went a little overboard in my previous post calling for a 150 horsepower tractor. I think 100 or 110 horsepower would probably be fine as a minimum. I know I'd have no worries about getting any snow removal work done with a NH T6.140 or equivalent.

/ Newbie with a 3 mile snowplow challenge #30  
That's what I said in post number 3.
That is exactly what the OP needs, nothing more, nothing less. :thumbsup:

Great minds think alike! ;)

Well sort of anyway... I don't think that you would necessarily have to have a V plow. It would be nice but if you are keeping up with the storm at all I don't think that a V plow would be absolutely necessary.