Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Newbie with a 3 mile snowplow challenge

/ Newbie with a 3 mile snowplow challenge #71  
It has nothing to do with magic.

As the snow melts and refreezes it becomes
more dense and sinks as it becomes a liquid
that refreezes during the cooler overnight periods.

/ Newbie with a 3 mile snowplow challenge #72  
North country is screwin with ya, since you said "square foot" but obviously meant "cubic foot". Of course, the snow still doesn't "weigh more", it just compacts. If you get MORE snow, then you are now having to move more weight for the original snow DEPTH. I think everyone understands, y'all just like arguing. Where is the OP again?

/ Newbie with a 3 mile snowplow challenge #73  
Nope, didn't see any magic snow that gains weight on that page or any of the linked pages.

PS - How much denser is "Cascade Concrete" than regular snow? Inquiring minds want to know.

Snow fall in the Cascade Range is both very heavy and dense due to
the winds and moisture coming off the pacific ocean.

The silver dollar sized snow flakes are a result of this moisture and as a result the
high snow depth totals.

The www.avalache.org site I directed you to also has annual snow fall totals for the
Cascade Mountain Range area and many other regions.

/ Newbie with a 3 mile snowplow challenge #74  
How much denser?

/ Newbie with a 3 mile snowplow challenge #75  
North country is screwin with ya, since you said "square foot" but obviously meant "cubic foot". Of course, the snow still doesn't "weigh more", it just compacts. If you get MORE snow, then you are now having to move more weight for the original snow DEPTH. I think everyone understands, y'all just like arguing. Where is the OP again?

It certainly would be nice if we heard from the OP about this issue....................................

Sorry about that misstep, when I am dealing with lane miles it automatically clicks over to square feet in coverage for deicing brines and snow removal in my case anyway.

As yet we have no idea if this patch of dirt has drainage ditches which makes the choice a bit more dicey as a 4 foot shoulder is the normal rule of thumb.

/ Newbie with a 3 mile snowplow challenge #76  
Who needs the OP? We can make up snow density numbers and spend money he doesn't have without him. ;)

/ Newbie with a 3 mile snowplow challenge #77  
How much denser?

It all relates to meltwater temperature and the refreeze cycle and its length which is explained at avalanche.org and many other weather sites

Freshly fallen snow has an average weight of ten pounds per cubic foot and thirty pounds per cubic foot when compacted in some areas of the United States.

The Cascade snows will of course heavier because they hold more water.

SO looking at pure water weighing 62.4 pounds per cubic foot as an example
a 5 foot depth of snow fall that is not compacted will have 10 pounds per cubic foot of weight BUT the freeze thaw cycle will potentially increase the weight of the remainder of the snow pack per cubic foot of snow to 30 pounds per cubic foot OR MORE with a specific gravity of .48 for compacted snow versus a specific gravity of .10 for freshly fallen snow (not including the cascade snows in the example).

Depending on the winds and overnight temperatures you could have an 8 foot snow fall and a 5 foot deep pile in the morning. At Stevens Pass they still recieve snow falls of one foot per hour for 24 hours or more at times some years. That is why State Route 2 is closed for avalanche control quite a bit during the winter.

The

/ Newbie with a 3 mile snowplow challenge #80  

1/2 km per day! But those snowbanks were barely as high as his loader...THESE are snowbanks. :eek:

snowbank.jpg
http://www.fistofblog.com/2007/02/21/now-thats-some-snow-banks/