Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Snow Blower dolly

/ Snow Blower dolly #1  

degerb

Tractor
Massey-Ferguson 253
Hi Guys.. I am very seriously considering buying either a Meteor or Erskine 75" or 78" pull behind snow blower and yes I know its June.. :)Before I jump, I would like to know how you guys that have such machines manage to hook them up to the 3point without horsing them around with a pry bar since they do weigh 7-800#. I am thinking of perhaps some kind of dolly with swivel casters, but I am at a complete loss on how to do it without it weighing a ton also. I sure could use a little backyard engineering, I plan on using this behind my 1991 M/F 253 turbo. Thanks Don

/ Snow Blower dolly #2  
I just back up to my 78" close enough that my lower links on the 3PT will slide out enough to line up with at least one of the lower pins. Get one or both of the pins installed, then back the tractor up a little to either install the other pin, or snap the lower link adjusters in locked position. Then install the top link. And finally hook up the PTO shaft. I try to keep an oak wheelbarrow handle around. They make a good prybar to help horse stuff around. A metal 'millwright bar' works, but tend to mess up the concrete floor. There is also a big difference if you can keep your stuff on concrete. Hard to slide stuff around on dirt. And inside a barn or covered area is better then letting it set outside and rust. A dolly would be a big plus, though. And would let you roll it around in the summer. I built one for my backhoe to store it in the winter. Good luck, Jerry :)

/ Snow Blower dolly #3  
I use dollys and a quick hitch

/ Snow Blower dolly #4  
I use three dollies, one under each shoe, and one under the leg stand. It's not just for ease of hooking up, I can also move the blower around for storage shuffle.

/ Snow Blower dolly #5  
You can purchase three furniture dollys from
Grainger or Mcmaster Carr and move it around
easily or copy the designs members made for
flail mowers and posted here as well which keep the mowers
well off the ground and makes it much easier to mount as well.

/ Snow Blower dolly #6  
I always have 4 or 5 Harbor Freight dollies laying around. They've always got them on sale.
It's not as much of an issue now that I've got a skid steer and can pull up and grab it, but it's still nice to wheel it into a better spot in the barn when needed.

/ Snow Blower dolly
Hi Guys, I thought about H/F dollies but I have a blacktop floor in my shop garage and small wheels with weight on them will start sinking into the surface during the summer months. I guess a sheet of plywood under the dolly wheels might work, what do you think? Perhaps a strong oak 2x2 would be simpler way to go! Thanks Don

/ Snow Blower dolly #8  
degerb, this is what I use. Four wheels from HF and a little wood. I can move it around with ease and it only took a hour or so to build.

I plan on having the blower for quite a while. IMO, it's worth the time to build it.

100_0035.JPG100_0036.JPG100_0037.JPG

/ Snow Blower dolly
Thanks Rockgod.. It looks good, what size casters did you use? I have a bunch of 2X lying ariound so think I will try to put one together. Heck, if I don't like it I'll build a rolling workbench or at the worst I'll tell my wife I built a rolling flower box! LOL

/ Snow Blower dolly #10  
Thanks Rockgod.. It looks good, what size casters did you use? I have a bunch of 2X lying ariound so think I will try to put one together. Heck, if I don't like it I'll build a rolling workbench or at the worst I'll tell my wife I built a rolling flower box! LOL

Those are 4" casters rated at 330lbs each. They might have cost $3.99 each at HF. I don't think you'd regret building one.. :thumbsup: