Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Pull type blower verses snow berms

/ Pull type blower verses snow berms
Thank you for your input.. I'm originally from the Soo area so I can relate to snow but even we didn't get dumped on like you guys up at Marquette! Here in N. Idaho as we are quite dry so we don't get a lot of snow at one time. A foot or so at a time is about it, that happening about 6 or 7 times a year. So I'm still thinking a rear pull might do the trick.

Last edited:
   / Pull type blower verses snow berms #22  
Your snow conditions sound similar to mine degerb--i.e. several dumps of snow but 12" or under. I have a Meteor pull-type and think it is ideal for my conditions. I agree with CDN Farm Boy's suggestions, especially the one about not needing a cab. Your temperatures are likely similar to mine (Armstrong BC) and I don't find it cold as long as I dress right. But we get very little wind here. There are times when a cab would be nice but it would prevent me doing a lot of other work in the bush, so it isn't practical for me(plus I can't afford it). The other factor is, I've always enjoyed winter--even in my 1960's lineman days in Manitoba. I have a much harder time with summer heat. That's when I'd really like an air conditioned cab.

As Farm Boy suggests, a hydraulic chute turner is very handy. My layout calls for frequent chute direction changes so I would not be without it. I don't have the extra port for the deflector and do not need to change the deflection very often. But it would be nice, and I may eventually add an electric linear actuator for that function.

As Farm Boy says, Meteor and Lucknow make good blowers. Pronovost and Normand are more substantial but perhaps overkill. Another blower that looked as substantial is the Erskine brand from Minnesota. They make a good looking pull type. It would have been my first choice but the shipping was expensive. It won't be as bad to your area.

Good luck on your search.
IMG_1586.JPG

IMG_1603.JPG

Last edited:
   / Pull type blower verses snow berms #23  
Inverted pull blowers are the best way to go. My next blower will be a pill. Dasd ran one for over 30 years hooked to our MF 35, never once got stuck!!

/ Pull type blower verses snow berms #24  
Here's my thoughts:

1. If you are only doing your own snow, you don't NEED a cab regardless of what anyone tells you. Are they nice to have? You bet! Bundle up, plan your direction with the wind and you can survive just fine without. I've got 25 yrs doing my own snow with open stations, 1/4 mile lane in the wide open wind.

I always chuckle when I see a post like this, and you see it often on snow removal forums. CDN Farm Boy is correct, you don't need the cab. I have yet to see anyone with a cab say, "I hate this cab, especially in the winter." I feel like replying, "You don't NEED an indoor toilet, you could just go out in the woods and dig a hole to do your business. Think of the money you save on plumbing, heating and floor space. However an indoor toilet is nice."

Regarding the cab... If I had to go out in an open station tractor in the dark, in a blizzard all bundled up with my ski mask, snowmobile suit, heavy duty gloves and -100 Cabela boots on, it would be a task I would dread. Instead I can't wait to put my light sweatshirt, pajama bottoms, no gloves and light boots, get in my warmed up tractor and get out in that blizzard at night and throw the snow around. The nastier the blizzard, the more fun it is to be in the cab. What would be an unpleasant task in an open station tractor, is a blast in a cabbed, heated tractor.

/ Pull type blower verses snow berms #25  
I always chuckle when I see a post like this, and you see it often on snow removal forums. CDN Farm Boy is correct, you don't need the cab. I have yet to see anyone with a cab say, "I hate this cab, especially in the winter." I feel like replying, "You don't NEED an indoor toilet, you could just go out in the woods and dig a hole to do your business. Think of the money you save on plumbing, heating and floor space. However an indoor toilet is nice."

Regarding the cab... If I had to go out in an open station tractor in the dark, in a blizzard all bundled up with my ski mask, snowmobile suit, heavy duty gloves and -100 Cabela boots on, it would be a task I would dread. Instead I can't wait to put my light sweatshirt, pajama bottoms, no gloves and light boots, get in my warmed up tractor and get out in that blizzard at night and throw the snow around. The nastier the blizzard, the more fun it is to be in the cab. What would be an unpleasant task in an open station tractor, is a blast in a cabbed, heated tractor.
I agree. We have a aftermarket cab on our BX2660, it leaks air all over the place, but it keeps most of the wind (and all of the snow) off of you and it makes it very enjoyable to be out plowing snow when it would be nasty in the open station B7500.

Aaron Z

Hey Aaron, what kind of cab do you have? I've been looking at the Sims cabs, nice but pricey.. I thought about the Regal canvas types but they went out of business last winter. I will admit the thought of an open cab with snow falling off the trees and dumping on me as I drive under them, leaves me kind of cold:laughing: I have a JD 166 with a 40" Berco blower now, so I'm no stranger to that sort of thing!

Thanks kco.. Yes I think we both have similar winters, a foot of snow followed by a short warming trend and then more snow. Very little powder snow here unfortunately, unless we get a nor'easter out of Manitoba!

/ Pull type blower verses snow berms #28  
The one on the BX2660 is a Curtis cab. IMO, if you just want something to keep the snow off you (then pull in the summer), get one from the Original Tractor Cab company. Where I used to work, we had on one a Cub Cadet GT3200 and it was much cheaper than a Curtis (1/3 the price), but it was decent quality (if you are just going to use in the winter).

Aaron Z

/ Pull type blower verses snow berms #29  

I agree, that would be the "Are they nice to have? You bet!" part of my comment. And a rather interesting comparison you make.

To use you own analogy, if you were in the midst of a full day's work in the bush and had to go #1, would you drive to the heated bathroom of the house or just go beside a tree?

Do you agree that it makes more sense to use what ya got (and help others to use theirs to the best of abilities) rather than telling someone that they can't do snow with an open station? There is often much confusion in the difference between NEEDS and WANTS when in reality they are very different.

Hey guys I agree with both of you, excellant points. There is definitely a difference between needing and wanting. That old saying "If Wishes and Buts were Candy and Nuts what a Merry Xmas we would have" is very true. We have a lot of tall fir trees that I have to plow under. I will admit after a heavy snowfall and when those big wads of wet snow is coming down on my head and down my neck, it really makes me wish for a nice warm cab! I checked Curtis Cabs and The Original Cab Co.both of which require a ROP to attach them. Both are designed for a much smaller tractor than I currently have. I guess until my ship comes in I'll just have to suffer and make do with an open cab and enjoy the fresh air!:(