Starting in winter temperatures

/ Starting in winter temperatures #1  

jimpen

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra Max 25HST
I know this has been asked before, but I'm going to ask it again.

What and how do you start your tractor's at 5 degrees?

This is going to be my first winter with my Mahindra Max 25. :) But I remember a winter back in the past that we had about 3 feet of snow, about an inch of freezing rain, that locked down the snow from blowing. The temperature was about 29 when it was snowing, rose to about 37 for the freezing rain, and then dropped to 5 degrees or less for the next week. Considering that it is the middle of August and I have a blanket over my legs, I can't imagine a mild winter this year.

So I want to prep ahead of time. Do I need a plugin radiator block heater/pump? Will a dipstick heater work? Do I need both? What about ether? Do I just want to use the ether and hide out all winter? :confused2:

I'm going to use current diesel that they should have the anti-congeal stuff in it.

/ Starting in winter temperatures #2  
I would use a block heater. You can get them at the tractor store for fairly cheap.
Dipstick heaters and magnetic block geaters aren't all that good.

I would never use ether to start a modern diesel.

A block heater and cycle the glow plugs a few times it should start up fine.

/ Starting in winter temperatures #3  
It seems like on the MF if we plug it in for a few hours it would start fine at about any temp. It may need to warm up to use the hydraulics much.

We did turn the AC back on last night just because it was going to be raining today. When out bush hogging late this afternoon it was a bit on the cool side already. Have not seen winter forecast yet. Having the AC off mid August I think is a first for us. Noticed Atlanta set some record low temps I think this week.

/ Starting in winter temperatures #4  
We hit -40F up here and I have block heaters in....
2004 Ford Ranger 4.0
2002 Subaru Legacy
2005 Jeep TJ 4.0
Kioti DS3510
1969 Bombardier SW48
1989 F250 7.3IDI

Would not go anything else....

/ Starting in winter temperatures
It seems like on the MF if we plug it in for a few hours it would start fine at about any temp. It may need to warm up to use the hydraulics much.

Mine is an HST. So I think the hydraulics will be fine. Or in other words, the tranny and the FEL work off the same pump. So if I can move, I can move everything. :drool:

Then the next Q: Where do I find a block heater for a Mahindra?

/ Starting in winter temperatures #6  
I live in SW Ohio. If you have a good battery and keep it charged it should do just fine. I have never had need for a block heater.

/ Starting in winter temperatures #7  
Even though my Bobcat is always stored inside (unheated), I'll plug it in for a while when the temperature gets lower than 10 F. Not that it probably needs it, but what the heck. The block heater is there, the electricity is there. Why not start out with a warmed block to ease the process?

/ Starting in winter temperatures #8  
We hit -40F up here and I have block heaters in....
2004 Ford Ranger 4.0
2002 Subaru Legacy
2005 Jeep TJ 4.0
Kioti DS3510
1969 Bombardier SW48
1989 F250 7.3IDI

Would not go anything else....

I agree. An hour usually is enough, but if it gets down to -#'s I'll do a few hours. If your going to do anything, use a block heater or a Kats in line water heater. I've had good luck with the Kats units.

The SW 48 does that have the ford 300 in it?

/ Starting in winter temperatures #9  
I agree. An hour usually is enough, but if it gets down to -#'s I'll do a few hours. If your going to do anything, use a block heater or a Kats in line water heater. I've had good luck with the Kats units.

The SW 48 does that have the ford 300 in it?

Yes, should have added that I use a timer on all of them when needed. The old 7.3 takes the longest t about 3-4 hrs.

As for the sidewalk plow, it is an older model that has the old Chrysler flat head I6. It's a beast but quite the money pit for parts. Here's a link with more on the build....
Free Bombadier SW48 - The Garage Journal Board

/ Starting in winter temperatures #10  
A block heater is absolutely the way to go. Having said that, I get to experience quite a bit of winter, and unless it is below -25 Celsius, I rarely plug in my Kubota. At -25C or warmer, I really just hit the glow plugs a little longer than normal and she fires right up. :thumbsup: