21HP CUT and a blower... am I dreaming?

/ 21HP CUT and a blower... am I dreaming? #1  

cnice37

Tractor
Kubota B2100
I have a Kubota B2100 with FEL... living in Southeastern MA.

I have been debating selling my '86 F250 (with plow) as it doesn't get enough use to justify keeping and maintaining another vehicle. It is my wood hauler (heat with wood), snow pusher (for us and some neighbors only), and gas guzzler.

I have a walk behind snowblower, an old Gilson 8hp.

So the truck stays until I know its worth looking into a 3pt snowblower for the little Kubota.

So, long story over, will a 21HP CUT cut it? Rated 17hp at the PTO I believe.

My driveway is about 120' long maybe so a walk behind is definitely feasible, but I've got the tractor, and it sure would be nice to put it to use.

Thanks in advance.

/ 21HP CUT and a blower... am I dreaming? #2  
You should not have any problems blowing snow from your driveway if you size the snow blower to your size tractor. I used a BX23 with a front blower to do my 250' driveway in upstate N.Y. It worked Beautifully, never used the 8' Fisher on my F350 again.
DevilDog

/ 21HP CUT and a blower... am I dreaming?
Nice, a vote of confidence! I don't think I can rationalize the price of new, so I'll see if my luck turns up anything on CL. Thanks.

In the meantime I'll try to search some more here. It is always bigger machines I came across, hence my direct question.

/ 21HP CUT and a blower... am I dreaming? #4  
My BX 25 does an amazing job with my Kubota 50" 3pt blower. No issues whatsoever - drive is 300 feet plus a large parking area. Have fun clearing!

/ 21HP CUT and a blower... am I dreaming? #5  
Keep the truck if at all possible. I traded in a nearly new Ridgeline when I bought my Kubota, thinking the cost and upkeep of both would be too much for me. Two years later, I now own a well used Ford Ranger and a Kubota, as I had to have a truck. The Ridgeline would have been paid for by now. Men need trucks.:thumbsup:

There's a 5' Inland about 3+ hours away... does anyone know a recommended size for 17hp rated PTO? I was thinking 50" is my target, covers the rear wheels, but 60" is what CL has to offer today.

mccash40 - I hear you on the truck, my old man told me the same thing "you're gonna regret that"... but with a 3 year old and 3 month old at home time is minimal and one less machine to take care of sounds good right now. I've got AWD and a trailer for lighter hauling (more trips) so if I can get the snow covered, then I'm very tempted to sell her. Nice truck too, pretty clean for an '86, and has just over 100k on the clock.

/ 21HP CUT and a blower... am I dreaming? #7  
I have a 54 inch on my Kioti ck20 which is about the same size/horse power. Works great here where we get lots of snow. Ma./NH. border.

/ 21HP CUT and a blower... am I dreaming? #8  
For what it is worth I had a JD tractor with 18HP at the PTO and an Inland 60" snow blower that performed flawlessly over the years. I can't imagine 1 less HP will making that big of a difference.
DSC_0420.jpg

DSC_0408.jpg

/ 21HP CUT and a blower... am I dreaming? #9  
If you can lift it, and you have enough traction to push it, and the driveshaft lines up fairly well, AND if you can vary your groundspeed for the volume of snow... there is no such thing as too big of a blower. Well, maybe if you can see around it, too. You just have to make sure you don't try to stuff more snow into the thing than it can throw out at RPM. That's why God invented HST's.... :)

Thanks all for the excellent feedback. Looks like the 5' sold on CL so I'll be on the lookout. Based on some mfr websites, 48"-54" is right in the 17hp wheelhouse, so I'll probably be in that range unless another 5' comes up for a bargain.

The thing is, then I'll need chains, and eventually a cab, and then I might as well add some heat and a radio, and then....