Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Frontier AF12 Front Blade Skids

/ Frontier AF12 Front Blade Skids #1  

corey9212

Platinum Member
Tractor
2015 John Deere 3046R
Hello, I was getting my front blade ready for the snow season (this is my first time using it) I put the skids on their lowest setting but they don't touch the ground when the blade is put into the float position (there is a good 1.5"-2" before they are on the ground and I would like them so the blade is 1" off the ground until a hard base is established), what can I do to fix it so I don't take the gravel with me when I push the snow.

Also any tips on using a front blade to push snow?
Thank you.

/ Frontier AF12 Front Blade Skids #2  
If you tilt the top of the blade back a bit (like you'd curl the bucket back), can the skid shoes touch the ground, or get close?

/ Frontier AF12 Front Blade Skids
If you tilt the top of the blade back a bit (like you'd curl the bucket back), can the skid shoes touch the ground, or get close?

No, I tried curling it back as far as it can go (keeping the frame it's attached to off the ground) and there is still lots of clearance between the skids and the ground.

/ Frontier AF12 Front Blade Skids #4  
I'm curious about this...

When you put the loader in Float, is the loader hitting it's stops before the blade (and skid shoes) can touch the ground?. What happens if you push the control to dump rather then curl?
And rather then float, do the shoes touch when not in float? (doubt it, since I think you're hitting the loader stops).
Does the blade touch the ground if the skid shoes weren't adjusted down? Even if it doesn't touch the ground, is the cutting edge closer then the 1.5-2"?

It sounds like the blade or QA plate is misaligned to the loader frame. If so, that's a factory defect, based upon how you described it.

I'm curious about this...

When you put the loader in Float, is the loader hitting it's stops before the blade (and skid shoes) can touch the ground?. What happens if you push the control to dump rather then curl?
And rather then float, do the shoes touch when not in float? (doubt it, since I think you're hitting the loader stops).
Does the blade touch the ground if the skid shoes weren't adjusted down? Even if it doesn't touch the ground, is the cutting edge closer then the 1.5-2"?

It sounds like the blade or QA plate is misaligned to the loader frame. If so, that's a factory defect, based upon how you described it.

No it's not hitting it's stops, it goes down until the blade is on the ground. I could easily lift the front end of the tractor with the blade level. If I pushed it to dump the blade would lift the tractor up.
No they won't.

The cutting edge is firmly planted on the ground with the skids completely lowered.

I will take some pics today to show exact examples, but the blades frame is level with the tractor making the blade sit level and firmly on the ground (with the skids fully lowered.)
I curl the blade back far enough that the frame is pretty much sitting in the ground and the blade is facing up into the air and the skids still don't touch.

/ Frontier AF12 Front Blade Skids #6  
No it's not hitting it's stops, it goes down until the blade is on the ground. I could easily lift the front end of the tractor with the blade level. If I pushed it to dump the blade would lift the tractor up.
No they won't.

The cutting edge is firmly planted on the ground with the skids completely lowered.

I will take some pics today to show exact examples, but the blades frame is level with the tractor making the blade sit level and firmly on the ground (with the skids fully lowered.)
I curl the blade back far enough that the frame is pretty much sitting in the ground and the blade is facing up into the air and the skids still don't touch.
Sounds like the skid shoe mounts are mislocated...too high on the blade

Here is some pics. As you can see in the last 4 pics the blade is at the height I would like it to be to start with but the frame would be scrapping the ground.

Attachments

• image-625985052.jpg
    image-625985052.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 1,008
  • image-3090232809.jpg
    image-3090232809.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 440
  • image-2710585771.jpg
    image-2710585771.jpg
    997.8 KB · Views: 362
  • image-1070418602.jpg
    image-1070418602.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 909
  • image-2831126337.jpg
    image-2831126337.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 657
  • image-311625347.jpg
    image-311625347.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 578
  • image-575819041.jpg
    image-575819041.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 665
  • image-678652786.jpg
    image-678652786.jpg
    934.5 KB · Views: 325
   / Frontier AF12 Front Blade Skids #8  
Here is some pics. As you can see in the last 4 pics the blade is at the height I would like it to be to start with but the frame would be scrapping the ground.

It looks like you could roll your loader (dump) a bit to get the loader frame off the ground. However, that wouldn't help with your skid shoes. With the skid shoe pins (that pin going through the plow brackets) you have, there is not adequate adjustment (looks like you're maxed out already). You need longer pins. There is a possibility the plow's cutting edge might be mislocated too.
I'd contact your dealer (place you bought the plow from) and get their opinion. They may agree with my assessment or come up with one of their own....or a fix for you.

It looks like you could roll your loader (dump) a bit to get the loader frame off the ground. However, that wouldn't help with your skid shoes. With the skid shoe pins (that pin going through the plow brackets) you have, there is not adequate adjustment (looks like you're maxed out already). You need longer pins. There is a possibility the plow's cutting edge might be mislocated too.
I'd contact your dealer (place you bought the plow from) and get their opinion. They may agree with my assessment or come up with one of their own....or a fix for you.

That's what I thought too (pins too short or cutting edge too long or mislocated.) I will see what the dealer says about it.

/ Frontier AF12 Front Blade Skids #10  
Something looks funny with the bolt on edge. Most are reversible and rarely do you see heads sticking up like that on the leading edge. The holes are visibly closer to one edge and it appears if you were to reverse it, that would allow your skid shoes to hit. Things that make you go hmmmm......