Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Who's ready for winter 13/14 ?

/ Who's ready for winter 13/14 ? #21  
I'm ready for winter but it is not ready for me. It is 75* here right now.

/ Who's ready for winter 13/14 ? #22  
My JD1332 snowblower is ready. Unfortunately the tractor will have to sit while the snowblower does all the work.

/ Who's ready for winter 13/14 ? #23  
Not me. Haven't even thought about it much yet.

I think it was Halloween Night two years ago we had 8" of wet snow. Trick or Treat :eek:

David--Rule of thumb north of Bangor was anytime after the second week of October you're at risk of a storm and I've seen snow in October that stayed until April. All the fall work and winter prep better be done by then.

Back in the 1970's I had a hot date and we were going to meet at a bar in Camden, each of us being an hour apart. Smokin' babe but we got two feet of snow that night in October. I called ahead to the bar and he actually kept it open late for us because we were stuck in the blizzard. We were polar opposites so it was a fast date.

/ Who's ready for winter 13/14 ? #24  
I should be ready when it gets here, as I just ordered a couple long sleeve shirts today and they should be here in 6 weeks.
David from jax

/ Who's ready for winter 13/14 ? #25  
The RTV is ready, got the doors on the cab and the blade prepped but I think it will be at least another month before we get any significant snow fall. Just two days ago it was 86 degrees, I believe a record. I am ready for winter just for the simple fact the bugs will be gone. I seem to be a walking buffet for anything that bites or stings.

The weather has changed around here, we used to get several heavy snows with 2' accumulation not uncommon. One winter we had snow on the ground from mid November to mid March, rare for this area. Now days a 12 inch snow is a big deal with a 3-4" snow more likely and no need to even get the plow out. Sure wish we would get snow for deer season, they really standout in the snow.

/ Who's ready for winter 13/14 ? #26  
Nope, not ready. I got till dec or mid dec to think about it. If worse comes to worse, most likely it will be wet stuff that comes early and Ill just use my FEL which only takes moments on my BX. When time comes, Ill go get my plow and mount of FEL which is parked for the season since spring and again it takes moments to put on. not worried a bit.

/ Who's ready for winter 13/14 ? #27  
David--Rule of thumb north of Bangor was anytime after the second week of October you're at risk of a storm and I've seen snow in October that stayed until April. All the fall work and winter prep better be done by then.

Back in the 1970's I had a hot date and we were going to meet at a bar in Camden, each of us being an hour apart. Smokin' babe but we got two feet of snow that night in October. I called ahead to the bar and he actually kept it open late for us because we were stuck in the blizzard. We were polar opposites so it was a fast date.

Gee, I was thinking of a lot more romantic and lusty ending to that story ... until the last sentence. :laughing:

Snow has been iffy the past couple of winters. The ski resorts are on snow-making machines for life support. We never know if the snow is going to be good enough for a healthy snowmobile season anymore. The ice fishing derby on Sebago Lake was cancelled last winter; they were afraid the ice wasn't strong enough to take the traffic.

We did get a decent amount of snow here last winter, but most of it came late in the season and melted early.

/ Who's ready for winter 13/14 ? #28  
Dave1949--I lived there long enough to learn the dangers assuming the winters of old will be the winters of new. First, you aren't ready for winter when you should be and that could subject the whole state to an early storm. If so, don't come looking for help when the natives come looking for you with pitchforks and torches. :D

Second, you speak of prior winters and how they were not so bad. Oh, boy is that a prescription for blizzards, high winds, more blizzards and then an ice storm followed quickly by 25 below. It will take a whole day to get your plow truck unfrozen and then there will be so much ice you won't be able to plow anyway. :D

These things happened to me and I feel responsible for the blizzards of 1977 and the the great Quebec-Maine ice storm of 1998. Most people lost power for a couple weeks and it could have been prevented had I only not commented to the whole office that the storm was going to blow over.

/ Who's ready for winter 13/14 ? #29  
Dave1949--I lived there long enough to learn the dangers assuming the winters of old will be the winters of new. First, you aren't ready for winter when you should be and that could subject the whole state to an early storm. If so, don't come looking for help when the natives come looking for you with pitchforks and torches. :D

Second, you speak of prior winters and how they were not so bad. Oh, boy is that a prescription for blizzards, high winds, more blizzards and then an ice storm followed quickly by 25 below. It will take a whole day to get your plow truck unfrozen and then there will be so much ice you won't be able to plow anyway. :D

These things happened to me and I feel responsible for the blizzards of 1977 and the the great Quebec-Maine ice storm of 1998. Most people lost power for a couple weeks and it could have been prevented had I only not commented to the whole office that the storm was going to blow over.

Yep, I am tempting fate big time. :laughing:

We could be due for an above average snow season, it's been a while. There, is that better?

/ Who's ready for winter 13/14 ? #30  
Yep, I am tempting fate big time. :laughing:

We could be due for an above average snow season, it's been a while. There, is that better?

Well, there goes the sledding season. :D

Last edited: