47" vs 54" 2 stage John Deere Snow Thrower

/ 47" vs 54" 2 stage John Deere Snow Thrower #1  

Inkmann

Tractor
John Deere 2305
I just picked up a great deal on a like new John Deere 47 inch two-stage snowblower for the front of my 2305.
My concern is that the 47 inch just meets my tractors outside wheel width.
I am thinking I might be much better off with the 54. Am I gonna see - feel any major difference?

What do you think?

Thanks
John

/ 47" vs 54" 2 stage John Deere Snow Thrower #2  
get some wings made for the sides

/ 47" vs 54" 2 stage John Deere Snow Thrower #4  
I ran that set-up for 7 years and never thought it was to small. It will do great,,,, you'll love it. Also, you may not NEED chains but they will make your life easier occasionally.

/ 47" vs 54" 2 stage John Deere Snow Thrower #5  
Agree with other posters, 47" is fine, I ran for 11 years on my JD 445. It was tough to retrofit on my new JD 1026R, so I sold it with the 445. And so, this is my opportunity to upgrade to 54". I have 3 drives, so it will help - and up here in MN we get some mongo snows with drifts.

I am picking it up Nov. 9, will post photo.

/ 47" vs 54" 2 stage John Deere Snow Thrower #6  
You at least want the blower to be a little wider than your tire width to avoid the tires having to run over unplowed snow leaving you with an uneven snow cleared path, so if you are sure it covers your wheel width, the 47" would be fine.

/ 47" vs 54" 2 stage John Deere Snow Thrower #7  
You at least want the blower to be a little wider than your tire width to avoid the tires having to run over unplowed snow leaving you with an uneven snow cleared path, so if you are sure it covers your wheel width, the 47" would be fine.

It will cover the tire tracks and a little more.

/ 47" vs 54" 2 stage John Deere Snow Thrower #8  
It will cover the tire tracks and a little more.

I have a 2305 with a 47" blower. Not only that, I have the 1" spacers on the rear wheels so my chains don't hit the backhoe subframe. My rear wheels are probably 2" wider than yours overall.

Yes, the rear wheels are wider than the track carved by the blower. No, it doesn't bother me. I am considering wings, but mostly because a) the cost to upgrade to the 54" is very high and b) with wings I could get a wider track carved with just one pass up and down the driveway when I'm short on time.