Tractor
    Kioti CK35 HST

Question What do we have here?

Greetings,

I've been in the market for a used 3 pt. snowblower since I bought my tractor this summer. In my neck of the woods, anything around 6' wide sells fast so I had resigned myself to a new tractor and, gulp, the approximate $3K I'd have to pay. As luck would have it, a use JD hit CL last weekend and I was the first one to respond. The seller ran the unit for me and everything operated smoothly and, as far as I know, as it should. I offered a little lower than asking price since the amount was already more than fair and the unit was on my trailer on on it's way home.

So, what exactly do I have here? I know it is a Deere that hasn't see too much use. The metal is all straight and has been repainted at some time in the past. The hydraulic shoot rotation is homemade but seems to work well. I removed the PTO shaft and am cleaning and lubricating/greasing. The gear box is open with miter gears. The gears look good as does the chain. Do I need to worry about the open bottom on the gearbox? i.e. should I make a cover?

Does anyone know what model I have and any chance there is a manual somewhere online? Anything I should look out for or maintenance items I should consider (I am new to 3 pt. snowblowers). Is there a shear pin on this unit? I've looked but am not sure. Any advice and info is appreciated.

Thanks,
    DK

-2013-10-13-18-03-a

-2013-10-13-18-03-a

-2013-10-13-18-03-a

-2013-10-13-18-04-a

-2013-10-13-18-04-a

-2013-10-13-18-04-a
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -2013-10-13-18-03-a   -2013-10-13-18-03-a   -2013-10-13-18-03-a   -2013-10-13-18-04-a   -2013-10-13-18-04-a  

Elite Member
    Tractor
    JD LA115, WH 244, WH 525 hydro-pops,Original Troy Built Horse 8 HP

Default Re: What do we have here?

Quote Originally Posted by dkair View Post
    Greetings,

I've been in the market for a used 3 pt. snowblower since I bought my tractor this summer. In my neck of the woods, anything around 6' wide sells fast so I had resigned myself to a new tractor and, gulp, the approximate $3K I'd have to pay. As luck would have it, a use JD hit CL last weekend and I was the first one to respond. The seller ran the unit for me and everything operated smoothly and, as far as I know, as it should. I offered a little lower than asking price since the amount was already more than fair and the unit was on my trailer on on it's way home.

So, what exactly do I have here? I know it is a Deere that hasn't see too much use. The metal is all straight and has been repainted at some time in the past. The hydraulic shoot rotation is homemade but seems to work well. I removed the PTO shaft and am cleaning and lubricating/greasing. The gear box is open with miter gears. The gears look good as does the chain. Do I need to worry about the open bottom on the gearbox? i.e. should I make a cover?

Does anyone know what model I have and any chance there is a manual somewhere online? Anything I should look out for or maintenance items I should consider (I am new to 3 pt. snowblowers). Is there a shear pin on this unit? I've looked but am not sure. Any advice and info is appreciated.

Thanks,
    DK

-2013-10-13-18-03-a

-2013-10-13-18-03-a

-2013-10-13-18-03-a

-2013-10-13-18-04-a

-2013-10-13-18-04-a

-2013-10-13-18-04-a

__________________________________________________ ______________________________________________

You are now the proud owner of a John Deere branded snow caster that was built in
    Canada by RAD.

Take a picture of it to a local John Deere dealer and
    they will be able to get you a manual or copy one of
    their parts manual for you.

I am unsure if the PTO SHAFT is yours; or it came with the snow caster
    or whether it has a shear pin

Edit:

It appears you only have roll pins securing the bevel type gears
    the transmit power to the auger and impeller and now shear pins.

The snow caster is made simply and ment for low power units.

Just be sure to spray it with a high grade panther piss or use fluid film
    as it is the preferred spray lubricant.

Use fluid film spray liberally on the chute, spout and impeller to prevent clogging
    Grease the flange bearings every 8 hours of operation with a couple of squirts of good grease and no more.

If you travel slowly into the snow piles you will prevent clogging and flooding
    the impeller and wasting time and energy.
    Mak esure you run the engine and rear power take off at the 540 RPM engine speed and
    no slower.

If you travel too fast with these things the cross augers will spit the snow forward as the impeller is smaller in diameter.

You will have to operate slowly because your hydro transmission like all others is an energy hog. The slower you advance the farther the snow will be cast away from the driveway or path you are opening.

You might be all right with it..............................................
    Last edited by leonz; 10-17-2013 at 02:23 PM.

Tractor
    Kioti CK35 HST

Quote Originally Posted by leonz View Post
    __________________________________________________ ______________________________________________

You are now the proud owner of a John Deere branded snow caster that was built in
    Canada by RAD.

Edit:

Use fluid film spray liberally on the chute, spout and impeller to prevent clogging
    Grease the flange bearings every 8 hours of operation with a couple of squirts of good grease and no more.

Mak esure you run the engine and rear power take off at the 540 RPM engine speed and
    no slower.

If you travel too fast with these things the cross augers will spit the snow forward as the impeller is smaller in diameter.

You will have to operate slowly because your hydro transmission like all others is an energy hog. The slower you advance the farther the snow will be cast away from the driveway or path you are opening.

Thank you for all the great info, Leonz - I appreciate you taking the time. The PTO shaft came with the unit, but I do not know if it is original. It's age seems consistent with the rest of the machine and it was a bit of a bear to get removed so I could service. My wife is stopping at the JD dealership to pickup a manual as she happens to be in town. I have Fluid Film and will use as prescribed - this stuff comes in quite handy with a tractor!

If I'm picking up what you're laying down, this is an okay blower, but is light to medium duty. I think I can live with this as I use my ATV and plow most of the time for the driveway and paths. Do you think my 35 HP tractor will be too much for it if I am not careful?

The PTO shaft was secured to the blower with a cut bolt that was being used as a pin. It had to be drifted out to remove the shaft. Is this supposed to function as a shear pin? The manual may be able to firm this up for me.

Thanks again for the help and tips on use!

-DK

Elite Member
    Tractor
    JD LA115, WH 244, WH 525 hydro-pops,Original Troy Built Horse 8 HP

Greetings,

Thanks,
    DK

-2013-10-13-18-03-a

-2013-10-13-18-03-a

-2013-10-13-18-03-a

-2013-10-13-18-04-a

-2013-10-13-18-04-a

-2013-10-13-18-04-a
    Quote Originally Posted by leonz View Post

Canada by RAD.

Edit:

Use fluid film sprayed liberally on the chute, spout and impeller to prevent clogging

no slower.

Thank you for all the great info, Leonz

I appreciate you taking the time. The PTO shaft came with the unit,
    but I do not know if it is original.
    It's age seems consistent with the rest of the machine and it was a
    bit of a bear to get removed so I could service.
    My wife is stopping at the JD dealership to pickup a manual as she
    happens to be in town.

I have Fluid Film and will use as prescribed -
    this stuff comes in quite handy with a tractor!

If I'm picking up what you're laying down, this is an okay blower,
    but is light to medium duty. I think I can live with this as I use my
    ATV and plow most of the time for the driveway and paths.
    Do you think my 35 HP tractor will be too much for it if I am not careful?

The PTO shaft was secured to the blower with a cut bolt that was being
    used as a pin. It had to be drifted out to remove the shaft.
    Is this supposed to function as a shear pin? The manual may
    be able to firm this up for me.

Thanks again for the help and tips on use!

-DK

ABOUT The PTO SHAFT- can you post a few more detailed
    images at your convenience?

Sounds like you need a new PTO shaft or should plan on
    purchasing a new one to have on hand.

So many of us simply purchase grade three or five bolts and
    either weaken them with cuts with hack saw or dont bother
    to weaken the grade fives.

The shear bolts are bloody expensive!!!!!

The previous owner probably did not want to
    spend the money on shear pins.

Your tractor should be fine with this blower as the PTO
    is doing the work for you and as long as you travel at a speed that
    is based on the snow depth DEEPER=SLOWER you will be fine.

I just decided slow is better and I can afford
    to keep a handfull in my plastic bit box and
    make sure I have enough on hand

The best thing I did for my JDLA115 is load the rears
    with windshield washer fluid for ballast weight as the two
    suitcase weights and my weight were not enough to dig
    into packed snow until I added the ballast weight in the
    rear tires.

Just go slow, and you wil avoid having to clean up the
    snow that gets thrown in front of the snow caster.