Snow Equipment Owning/Operating FEL plow problems

/ FEL plow problems #1  

corey9212

Platinum Member
Tractor
2015 John Deere 3046R
I was out trying out my plow today and had a few problems that I'm not sure if it's me or the equipment first I set the plow up according to the manual and I found the trip springs would trip over the slightest pressure so I set them the max safe tension allowable and found the skids (which is set in their lowest position) would dig into the ground causing the plow to go lower and eventually dig ground and trip the springs. I had the loader in float and saw that while traveling forwards even though I had the blade level it would slightly tip forwards making the skid shoes act as shovels. My ground is fairly bumpy and hilly and I know I will hit some high spots but then my snow pile is more ground than snow then it is an issue. Any help or advice would be appreciated, thank you.

/ FEL plow problems #2  
I have the same problem, and my setup is a lot smaller than yours. You need to keep the loader rigid as the skid shoes are designed to carry the weight of the blade, not the loader and blade. My blade and loader have enough "slop" in them to allow the blade to float over most of the drive. Granted it is fairly flat and level. I still have to feather the height in some areas that have to much slope to them. After a few passes, you will start to get the feel for it.

Attachments

• DSCN0128.jpg
    DSCN0128.jpg
    937.2 KB · Views: 411
   / FEL plow problems #3  
Once the ground freezes ,it will work much better.

/ FEL plow problems
I have the same problem, and my setup is a lot smaller than yours. You need to keep the loader rigid as the skid shoes are designed to carry the weight of the blade, not the loader and blade. My blade and loader have enough "slop" in them to allow the blade to float over most of the drive. Granted it is fairly flat and level. I still have to feather the height in some areas that have to much slope to them. After a few passes, you will start to get the feel for it.

So keep it out if float then and more practice. Nice set up by the way, what is the round thing behind your blade and what is it for?

Once the ground freezes ,it will work much better.

I'm hoping so. At this rate it seems like it's taking forever to freeze and snow (new equipment excitement?)

/ FEL plow problems #5  
you definitely will notice a difference after the ground freezes. Until that happens, you will continue digging up the ground.

/ FEL plow problems #6  
you definitely will notice a difference after the ground freezes. Until that happens, you will continue digging up the ground.

Yep even with plows on trucks too. You dig in and tear stuff up, especially in float. I try not to use float until the ground freezes up unless I back drag the smaller accumulations. In my truck I lift the blade until the front end starts to squat. You might leave a little snow, but not tear up the grass/ground as much

/ FEL plow problems #7  
So keep it out if float then and more practice. Nice set up by the way, what is the round thing behind your blade and what is it for?

Practice will only go so far but it definitely helps. As others have stated, when the ground is soft, it is nearly impossible to keep from moving a little stone around. The round thing is a piece of 4 inch schedule 80 pipe. It help the blade float over the gravel / lawn when it is soft. I have about worn through it from plowing some paved areas and am trying something new this year. I am increasing the diameter of the skid shoes by welding a couple of 12" disc harrow blades to the bottom of them. My hope is that the larger surface are will keep them from digging into the soft ground.

/ FEL plow problems
Hopefully it won't be long till the ground is frozen.

Yep even with plows on trucks too. You dig in and tear stuff up, especially in float. I try not to use float until the ground freezes up unless I back drag the smaller accumulations. In my truck I lift the blade until the front end starts to squat. You might leave a little snow, but not tear up the grass/ground as much
I didn't know plow trucks end up digging in as well. I tried it out if float but the ground is so unlevel in places that either I dig in or I miss spots as the tractors front end goes up and down (not little spots either cause it sits so far in front of the wheels.)

Practice will only go so far but it definitely helps. As others have stated, when the ground is soft, it is nearly impossible to keep from moving a little stone around. The round thing is a piece of 4 inch schedule 80 pipe. It help the blade float over the gravel / lawn when it is soft. I have about worn through it from plowing some paved areas and am trying something new this year. I am increasing the diameter of the skid shoes by welding a couple of 12" disc harrow blades to the bottom of them. My hope is that the larger surface are will keep them from digging into the soft ground.
That is a great idea (both the pipe and bigger skid plates) I'm interested in finding out how the disc blades will work as skids.

/ FEL plow problems #9  
A plow on a truck is hinged at the mount, and allowed to float on it's own.

This can be accomplished to an extent on a loader plow, with "slop". Or, using the float mode. But, it's is best accomplished by leaving the loader arms at a set height, and hinging the plow where it mounts, just as it is on a truck.

You can use an arm with a chain above the plow frame, (similar to the way it looks on a truck plow), to limit the drop. Or do as I did, and simply build a stop under the hinges.

I tried everything else first, this set up worked best.

Last edited: