Tractor
    2013 John Deere 6125R

Default FEL plow problems

I was out trying out my plow today and had a few problems that I'm not sure if it's me or the equipment first I set the plow up according to the manual and I found the trip springs would trip over the slightest pressure so I set them the max safe tension allowable and found the skids (which is set in their lowest position) would dig into the ground causing the plow to go lower and eventually dig ground and trip the springs. I had the loader in float and saw that while traveling forwards even though I had the blade level it would slightly tip forwards making the skid shoes act as shovels. My ground is fairly bumpy and hilly and I know I will hit some high spots but then my snow pile is more ground than snow then it is an issue. Any help or advice would be appreciated, thank you.
    - 2013 John Deere 6125R
    - H340 Front End Loader w/85" bucket and grapple
    - 7' Frontier RC2084 Rotary Cutter, 7' Frontier GM2084R Finishing Mower, 6' KingKutter Land Grader, 8' Frontier FG12G Front blade with hydraulic tilt, 5' Westwood Powered Sweeper, 5' Disk, 5' Drag Harrow, 55 Gallon Spraytech 3PH Sprayer, 90 Gallon Water Carrier, 3 point bale spear, 3 point pallet forks, 7' GM2084R grooming mower, 10' 3-PT harrow, 12' 1470 discbine, RR2109 rotary rake, 568 Megawide plus round baler.

Tractor
    JD 4520

Default Re: FEL plow problems

I have the same problem, and my setup is a lot smaller than yours. You need to keep the loader rigid as the skid shoes are designed to carry the weight of the blade, not the loader and blade. My blade and loader have enough "slop" in them to allow the blade to float over most of the drive. Granted it is fairly flat and level. I still have to feather the height in some areas that have to much slope to them. After a few passes, you will start to get the feel for it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -dscn0128-jpg  

Tractor
    Kubota L4240 HSTC,L3000DT

Once the ground freezes ,it will work much better.

Tractor
    2013 John Deere 6125R

Quote Originally Posted by wolfpack2 View Post
    I have the same problem, and my setup is a lot smaller than yours. You need to keep the loader rigid as the skid shoes are designed to carry the weight of the blade, not the loader and blade. My blade and loader have enough "slop" in them to allow the blade to float over most of the drive. Granted it is fairly flat and level. I still have to feather the height in some areas that have to much slope to them. After a few passes, you will start to get the feel for it.
    So keep it out if float then and more practice. Nice set up by the way, what is the round thing behind your blade and what is it for?

Quote Originally Posted by nybirdman View Post
    Once the ground freezes ,it will work much better.
    I'm hoping so. At this rate it seems like it's taking forever to freeze and snow (new equipment excitement?)
    - 2013 John Deere 6125R
    - 7' Frontier RC2084 Rotary Cutter, 7' Frontier GM2084R Finishing Mower, 6' KingKutter Land Grader, 8' Frontier FG12G Front blade with hydraulic tilt, 5' Westwood Powered Sweeper, 5' Disk, 5' Drag Harrow, 55 Gallon Spraytech 3PH Sprayer, 90 Gallon Water Carrier, 3 point bale spear, 3 point pallet forks, 7' GM2084R grooming mower, 10' 3-PT harrow, 12' 1470 discbine, RR2109 rotary rake, 568 Megawide plus round baler.

Tractor
    dk45se hst cab

you definitely will notice a difference after the ground freezes. Until that happens, you will continue digging up the ground.
    currently own
    2011 Kioti DK45SE HST CAB tractor/loader, Jimna 6" - 3 point wood chipper, 60" JD Brush Hog, JD 60" Rototiller, 3 point post hole digger with hydraulic assist, 3 point spring tooth rake, Fimco 55 gallon weed sprayer with 12 foot boom, 3 point hydraulic wood splitter (home built)
    Quick Attach 79" loader mount snowblower & rear powerpack
    Quick Attach 84" Snow Blade
    Quick Attach 42" pallet forks

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    555DTC Farmall 200

Quote Originally Posted by grsthegreat View Post
    you definitely will notice a difference after the ground freezes. Until that happens, you will continue digging up the ground.
    Yep even with plows on trucks too. You dig in and tear stuff up, especially in float. I try not to use float until the ground freezes up unless I back drag the smaller accumulations. In my truck I lift the blade until the front end starts to squat. You might leave a little snow, but not tear up the grass/ground as much

Tractor
    JD 4520

Quote Originally Posted by corey9212 View Post
    So keep it out if float then and more practice. Nice set up by the way, what is the round thing behind your blade and what is it for?
    Practice will only go so far but it definitely helps. As others have stated, when the ground is soft, it is nearly impossible to keep from moving a little stone around. The round thing is a piece of 4 inch schedule 80 pipe. It help the blade float over the gravel / lawn when it is soft. I have about worn through it from plowing some paved areas and am trying something new this year. I am increasing the diameter of the skid shoes by welding a couple of 12" disc harrow blades to the bottom of them. My hope is that the larger surface are will keep them from digging into the soft ground.

Tractor
    2013 John Deere 6125R

Quote Originally Posted by grsthegreat View Post
    Hopefully it won't be long till the ground is frozen.

Quote Originally Posted by Clint S View Post
    Yep even with plows on trucks too. You dig in and tear stuff up, especially in float. I try not to use float until the ground freezes up unless I back drag the smaller accumulations. In my truck I lift the blade until the front end starts to squat. You might leave a little snow, but not tear up the grass/ground as much
    I didn't know plow trucks end up digging in as well. I tried it out if float but the ground is so unlevel in places that either I dig in or I miss spots as the tractors front end goes up and down (not little spots either cause it sits so far in front of the wheels.)

Quote Originally Posted by wolfpack2 View Post
    Practice will only go so far but it definitely helps. As others have stated, when the ground is soft, it is nearly impossible to keep from moving a little stone around. The round thing is a piece of 4 inch schedule 80 pipe. It help the blade float over the gravel / lawn when it is soft. I have about worn through it from plowing some paved areas and am trying something new this year. I am increasing the diameter of the skid shoes by welding a couple of 12" disc harrow blades to the bottom of them. My hope is that the larger surface are will keep them from digging into the soft ground.
    That is a great idea (both the pipe and bigger skid plates) I'm interested in finding out how the disc blades will work as skids.
    - 2013 John Deere 6125R

Elite Member
    Tractor
    GC2310,

A plow on a truck is hinged at the mount, and allowed to float on it's own.

This can be accomplished to an extent on a loader plow, with "slop". Or, using the float mode. But, it's is best accomplished by leaving the loader arms at a set height, and hinging the plow where it mounts, just as it is on a truck.

You can use an arm with a chain above the plow frame, (similar to the way it looks on a truck plow), to limit the drop. Or do as I did, and simply build a stop under the hinges.

I tried everything else first, this set up worked best.
    Last edited by ray66v; 11-03-2013 at 10:56 PM.

Tractor
    kubota 4310hstc

something like this. Lengthen the chain and get more float movement.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -004-jpg