Power angle plow or fixed pusher?

/ Power angle plow or fixed pusher? #1  

CDN Farm Boy

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B3300SU
I picked up a 6' Myers plow last weekend to go on my B3300. Looking for opinions as to should I keep it as a power angle or convert it to a fixed pusher?

I use a blower for the 1200' of lane and that won't change. Blade would get used around the buildings and parking areas. I like the idea of the power angle for the versatility but the simplicity of the fixed pusher is also appealing. I will also have hydraulic controlled QA allowing for easy switch between plow, bucket and forks (need them to move pallets of firewood) Obviously having the power angle would mean having to disconnect hoses to switch attachments.

Part of my dilemma is side wings. The blade is a trip blade, not trip edge which are much easier to mount wings to. Anyone got a suggestion for mounting wings on a trip edge plow?

Thanks

/ Power angle plow or fixed pusher? #2  
Can you post some pictures of that trip edge? I'm going to build another pusher and it would be slick if the cutting edge could trip.

/ Power angle plow or fixed pusher? #3  
I just reread your post and see that yours is not a trip edge, but thanks for the idea. I had not heard of one.

/ Power angle plow or fixed pusher? #4  
I picked up a 6' Myers plow last weekend to go on my B3300. Looking for opinions as to should I keep it as a power angle or convert it to a fixed pusher?

I use a blower for the 1200' of lane and that won't change. Blade would get used around the buildings and parking areas. I like the idea of the power angle for the versatility but the simplicity of the fixed pusher is also appealing. I will also have hydraulic controlled QA allowing for easy switch between plow, bucket and forks (need them to move pallets of firewood) Obviously having the power angle would mean having to disconnect hoses to switch attachments.

Part of my dilemma is side wings. The blade is a trip blade, not trip edge which are much easier to mount wings to. Anyone got a suggestion for mounting wings on a trip edge plow?

Thanks

Your post is confusing. Do you have a trip edge or blade? As for which to build? You just need to ask yourself if you are planning on pushing snow in your application or if you are planning on just moving it to the sides. I think your thought process is right by going with the hydraulic angle plow and using wings. Good compromise.

/ Power angle plow or fixed pusher? #5  
Ok we need to define wings. Are you talking about forward pointing wings (at right angles to the blade)? If so it would be pointless to have the blade angle. If you think you want a pusher I say just build one and don't tear up the blade you have. After trying a pusher you may want a plow also. Probably not. You could sell the blade or trade it. If you build a pusher be sure to put a top on it with a edge to back drag. That works great for driveways and such.

/ Power angle plow or fixed pusher? #6  
I've had both, I would opt for the power angle blade. I don't feel the B3300 is heavy enough to effectively handle a pusher. Even a small one requires a lot of traction to push, you see them mostly on heavy equipment. I had a 6' pusher, worked awesome on my small skid steer, was very limited on my JD 790. I have the power angle blade now and I love it on the tractor. I clear 1/4 mile of gravel farm road and most light storms I simply push the snow to one side because it is faster and make 1 pass with the blower to get rid of it. Even clearing around the buildings and paddocks I like the blade, keep it straight to remove the bulk of the material, and angle it to clean up. A 6' straight blade will hold about all the snow your tractor will push, a 6' pusher with a full blade will stop you dead in your tracks.

/ Power angle plow or fixed pusher? #7  
Ok we need to define wings. Are you talking about forward pointing wings (at right angles to the blade)? If so it would be pointless to have the blade angle. If you think you want a pusher I say just build one and don't tear up the blade you have. After trying a pusher you may want a plow also. Probably not. You could sell the blade or trade it. If you build a pusher be sure to put a top on it with a edge to back drag. That works great for driveways and such.

Angle blade on a tractor (well CUT) because of the lighter weight is not that useful as the snow load will push your front sideways, therefor straight push with wings is feasible.
At the slower speeds you will push, a tractor trip function is not all that important, also I presume it is home use and you know where your curbs etc are. Trip is really a must when on a truck and plowing at higher speeds where you are wanting the snow to curl off to the side.

In conclusion, crank the springs up tight (or weld fixed) and add wings to suit and push that snow over yonder.

/ Power angle plow or fixed pusher? #8  
A pusher is for doing driveways and lots. You push the snow into piles. You can take wide swaths and large amounts of snow for short distances. It is not for plowing roads. The pusher I built for my 45hp tractor is 8 feet wide and works great. The one in planning stage for the bigger tractor will be 10 feet or more. But I don't do roads.

/ Power angle plow or fixed pusher?
Panhapp: If you look up any of the major brands of commercial grade snow plows, most of them have trip edge. Should be lots of pics for you to get ideas.
Blade stays up-right when you hit something so you don't lose all your snow or have it fly back at you when the blade springs back.

I haven't been home in the daylight since I got it so I had to google for images for the moment.
This blade is the same model as mine except mine still has the trip springs and I'm missing the hyd cyl and have to fab a mount:

Meyer ST72 Snow Pusher | IRON Search

By wings, yes I mean end plates that stick out 90 deg to the blade essentially making it a pusher in the straight position. I see lots of guys up here with them on both ends on pickup mounted plows. At full angle, the snow will fill up and spill over the back wing. Not the ideal way to windrow but it seems to work.

/ Power angle plow or fixed pusher?
I have to do the main part of the lane with a blower as it's out in the open, plow ridges will only make more drifts. I never thought of plowing lighter amounts into a center windrow then using the blower, that could save some time.

Tessiers, thank you for you input. Much appreciated since you have a similar size tractor and have used both styles.

The trip springs are definitely staying. I wish I'd had some last winter. My loader already has a tweak from catching the corner of the bucket on the top of a 4x4 that the frost pushed out of the ground

And yes, this is just for home use. I drive a Case 120 Maximum with a 8' inverted Normand blower for the 125 residential driveways that I do.