Studding front R4 tires?

/ Studding front R4 tires? #1  

Boondox

Elite Member
Tractor
Deere 4044R cab, Kubota KX-121-3S
Years ago I had an old L3010 and ran chains on all four corners. Never ever had an issue with it, but when I traded it in the dealer told me that was a no-no that put too much stress on the front end. Three tractors later I'm getting kind of tired of the front end slipping around on ice making turns difficult. But after pulling yet another tourist out of the ditch yesterday (this one in a 4WD Land Rover with all season radials) I got to thinking how well my little Prius handles snow and ice with studded snow tires. Could I do the same thing to the front R4 tires on my L3240? It is never used on pavement, and I can't see any harm using studs on dirt in the other three seasons.

Would they make a difference? Or is the front end beefy enough that I should ignore the dealer and install chains up front?

/ Studding front R4 tires? #2  
I can't see the harm to studs in the R4s but I am not sure how you would install standard studs. I know of people that put shallow screws in the outer side of the tread rib. I also can't see the harm to chains on the front tires. Pulling a tractor out by the front axle or pulling something heavy with a chain attached to the front axle are definitely not advised in my book, but I don't see an issue with chains on the front tires.

/ Studding front R4 tires? #3  
I used to have chains on all four wheels on the Kubota B7100 I used to have. Never any problem a it surely increased the tractor capability.

Check with a local tire dealer for stud installation. Also check with the tractor maker on your question.:thumbsup:

Pete: before your place on a hill you are going to have to install a watering/ice making zone with a sign for a local tow operator highly visible.

You realize that now I'm going to have to check in with a tire dealer about studs all around!:)

/ Studding front R4 tires?
I used to have chains on all four wheels on the Kubota B7100 I used to have. Never any problem a it surely increased the tractor capability.

Check with a local tire dealer for stud installation. Also check with the tractor maker on your question.:thumbsup:

Pete: before your place on a hill you are going to have to install a watering/ice making zone with a sign for a local tow operator highly visible.

You realize that now I'm going to have to check in with a tire dealer about studs all around!:)

Hey old friend! Good to hear from you.

That Land Rover was driven by a teenaged hothead (it was Daddy's vehicle) who simply knew that all season radials on a 4WD vehicle would take him to **** and back. When he put the front end in the three foot deep ditch I told him to hold on while I got some sand. He wouldn't listen till he slid sideways several yards and the front end got hung up on a rock. Bent the fender out like a bat wing! No need to create a slick as it's already there, but come to think of it my basement cistern is overflowing and it would be a convenient place to drain the water...

Ice on a 28% slope at the end of the driveway sure makes for interesting times.

Tom - I've seen studded tractor tires on my trips across the Great Plains, but never around here. Makes me wonder if they offer enough traction for flat ground but not for hills. Several brands are self-tapping. For an example check KenJones.com or GripStuds.com. Installation seems fairly straightforward; you have have to ensure you line it up properly.

/ Studding front R4 tires? #5  
We have been installing screw in studs from the snow groomer industry in tractors for years and have had good luck with them for the most part. In the center with shorter or lower bar height we have had to cut them which also meant that they pulled out easier under hard work. The customers like them for the ride and have stated that they felt they were better then the chains they were using for traction. Ice is a problem and for the most part chains are of no use if your snow removal equipment is working as you are not driving in deep snow but on a hard or frozen surface not trying to drive thru three foot of snow.

/ Studding front R4 tires? #6  
I used some hex head screws in the tires an icy winter ago. Worked well, 30 in the front and 70 in the back. They aren't hardened so extended pavement running would wear them out. They worked well enough to drag my car up a 10 % sheet of ice that was my driveway with ease one morning.

/ Studding front R4 tires? #7  
It's about the same price to buy a pair of studded chain or to get a sufficient number of screw in type studded (Grip Studs Screw-In Tire Studs | Traction in Ice, Snow and Dirt | 1800R Tire Stud)
The screw-in do help, but I found for icy road (dirt and gravel) or steep angle; front chains are in a class by itself. Never had a problem with overstressing the front axe. Installing screws in type took me longer than putting on the chain. And be carefull of the fallen screws - ATV flat!