chain lube

/ chain lube #1  

rayclar

Silver Member
Tractor
kubota 4310hstc
Hi guys and gals, just wondering what everyone uses on the snow blower chains for lube. Does anyone use bike chain lube or just motor oil, 80-90 gear lube? My chain case is totally closed in so its dirt or snow free. The dealer just said chain lube???

/ chain lube #2  
I usually use chainsaw bar and chain oil for most chains. Some people like dry lubes (graphite spray usually) because it doesn't spatter all over the place, but IMHO it does a poor job of lubicating inside the rollers because it doesn't seem to penetrate. A heavy gear oil would probably be good too, but the bar and chain oil is what I have in the little pump oil can.

/ chain lube #3  
I use the foaming motorcycle chain lube on this one and previous one for over 17yr now. The foam seems to penetrate every part of the chain, and once the foam goes away it turns to a grease like coating and really clings to the chain.

I hear the Amsoil spray lube is very good also.

/ chain lube #4  
I use the foaming motorcycle chain lube on this one and previous one for over 17yr now. The foam seems to penetrate every part of the chain, and once the foam goes away it turns to a grease like coating and really clings to the chain.

I hear the Amsoil spray lube is very good also.

Is this the stuff that ends up like a tar? I have used something that sounds similar at work and it seemed pretty good... great for screw shafts.

/ chain lube #5  
i use chain lube at tractor suply or canadian tire and i change my chain last year and it was still good the blower is 2005 and got about 400 hr on the chain but i could twist it a bit but i clean it every time im done and lube the chain and both sprocket was still good

/ chain lube #6  
Is this the stuff that ends up like a tar? I have used something that sounds similar at work and it seemed pretty good... great for screw shafts.

No, not really, just a good grease coating. I used it on my first Harley. We'd do a 7 day trip and it never flew off and the chain was still looking good at the end of the trip. The Harley I have now is belt drive but I keep a can handy for all chain needs.

/ chain lube #7  
I use Chain Lube in a spray can, I think it is made by the PB Blaster folks. It is tacky and stays where it is sprayed. I spray the chain for each snow storm. I'm not noticing chain wear, which I guess would show up as a chain that needs tightened frequently.

/ chain lube #8  
Chain saw bar oil here. It was what the BX2750D manual called for and I already had it. No brainer.

Last edited:
   / chain lube #9  
This my first season with my blower and it has an open chain and I use the spray chain lube that does not fling off.................but now a question about the idler sprocket . The user guide I have and even for other makes that I have researched are very vague about how tight should chain be . Twice now I have loosened the idler bolt, let sprocket drop down to chain (so tighter without forcing it) then I tighten the bolt and spray the chain. But it seems after a few hours the chain seem fairly loose (not touching the idler even at times) What thoughts? I have an AgriEase 50 inch which is a knockoff of the Agritrend.

/ chain lube #10  
This my first season with my blower and it has an open chain and I use the spray chain lube that does not fling off.................but now a question about the idler sprocket . The user guide I have and even for other makes that I have researched are very vague about how tight should chain be . Twice now I have loosened the idler bolt, let sprocket drop down to chain (so tighter without forcing it) then I tighten the bolt and spray the chain. But it seems after a few hours the chain seem fairly loose (not touching the idler even at times) What thoughts? I have an AgriEase 50 inch which is a knockoff of the Agritrend.

Is the chain tight all the way around when you do this? If there is slack across from the idler (between engine and driven pulley) it the slack will work it's way around to where the tension sprocket is.