Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Silver Member rayclar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    201
    Location
    prince township , ontario, canada
    Tractor
    kubota 4310hstc

    Default chain lube

    Hi guys and gals, just wondering what everyone uses on the snow blower chains for lube. Does anyone use bike chain lube or just motor oil, 80-90 gear lube? My chain case is totally closed in so its dirt or snow free. The dealer just said chain lube???

  2. #2
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,429
    Location
    Lee, IL
    Tractor
    John Deere 1070

    Default

    I usually use chainsaw bar and chain oil for most chains. Some people like dry lubes (graphite spray usually) because it doesn't spatter all over the place, but IMHO it does a poor job of lubicating inside the rollers because it doesn't seem to penetrate. A heavy gear oil would probably be good too, but the bar and chain oil is what I have in the little pump oil can.

  3. #3
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    662
    Location
    Hayward Wi
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2230D

    Default Re: chain lube

    I use the foaming motorcycle chain lube on this one and previous one for over 17yr now. The foam seems to penetrate every part of the chain, and once the foam goes away it turns to a grease like coating and really clings to the chain.

    I hear the Amsoil spray lube is very good also.

  4. #4
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,429
    Location
    Lee, IL
    Tractor
    John Deere 1070

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Toyboy View Post
    I use the foaming motorcycle chain lube on this one and previous one for over 17yr now. The foam seems to penetrate every part of the chain, and once the foam goes away it turns to a grease like coating and really clings to the chain.

    I hear the Amsoil spray lube is very good also.
    Is this the stuff that ends up like a tar? I have used something that sounds similar at work and it seemed pretty good... great for screw shafts.

  5. #5
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    113
    Location
    new brunswick canada
    Tractor
    bx 1830 05

    Default Re: chain lube

    i use chain lube at tractor suply or canadian tire and i change my chain last year and it was still good the blower is 2005 and got about 400 hr on the chain but i could twist it a bit but i clean it every time im done and lube the chain and both sprocket was still good

  6. #6
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    662
    Location
    Hayward Wi
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2230D

    Default Re: chain lube

    Quote Originally Posted by mikehaugen View Post
    Is this the stuff that ends up like a tar? I have used something that sounds similar at work and it seemed pretty good... great for screw shafts.
    No, not really, just a good grease coating. I used it on my first Harley. We'd do a 7 day trip and it never flew off and the chain was still looking good at the end of the trip. The Harley I have now is belt drive but I keep a can handy for all chain needs.

  7. #7
    Super Star Member dave1949's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    11,376
    Location
    Industry, Maine
    Tractor
    New Holland TC40

    Default Re: chain lube

    I use Chain Lube in a spray can, I think it is made by the PB Blaster folks. It is tacky and stays where it is sprayed. I spray the chain for each snow storm. I'm not noticing chain wear, which I guess would show up as a chain that needs tightened frequently.
    "Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end ..."
    When there is a huge solar energy spill, it is called a "nice day"!

  8. #8
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    182
    Location
    Central Maine
    Tractor
    Kubota BX25

    Default Re: chain lube

    Chain saw bar oil here. It was what the BX2750D manual called for and I already had it. No brainer.
    Last edited by dsmiley; 12-20-2013 at 01:27 PM.
    Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

    BX25, BX2750D Snowblower, Bro-Tek thumb, BXpanded Forks and Under Armor, Ballast Box, 3-PT Pallet Forks ...... My Kubota Pics


  9. #9
    Platinum Member wawajake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    513
    Location
    Canada
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2660

    Default Re: chain lube

    This my first season with my blower and it has an open chain and I use the spray chain lube that does not fling off.................but now a question about the idler sprocket . The user guide I have and even for other makes that I have researched are very vague about how tight should chain be . Twice now I have loosened the idler bolt, let sprocket drop down to chain (so tighter without forcing it) then I tighten the bolt and spray the chain. But it seems after a few hours the chain seem fairly loose (not touching the idler even at times) What thoughts? I have an AgriEase 50 inch which is a knockoff of the Agritrend.
    jake
    BX2660, plus weight box, middle buster and toothbar, and now Agri 40" rototiller, Brotek Wheel spacers ! oh and some home made forks too, and a Wallenstein BX42 Chipper and now a tow behind woodsplitter.and a TMI 48 Rotary Cutter..and 51 inch Agri Ease Snowblower...

  10. #10
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,429
    Location
    Lee, IL
    Tractor
    John Deere 1070

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wawajake View Post
    This my first season with my blower and it has an open chain and I use the spray chain lube that does not fling off.................but now a question about the idler sprocket . The user guide I have and even for other makes that I have researched are very vague about how tight should chain be . Twice now I have loosened the idler bolt, let sprocket drop down to chain (so tighter without forcing it) then I tighten the bolt and spray the chain. But it seems after a few hours the chain seem fairly loose (not touching the idler even at times) What thoughts? I have an AgriEase 50 inch which is a knockoff of the Agritrend.
    Is the chain tight all the way around when you do this? If there is slack across from the idler (between engine and driven pulley) it the slack will work it's way around to where the tension sprocket is.

Similar Threads

  1. Snowblower Snowblower Auger Chain Lube
    By GoodGuy in forum Attachments
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-07-2010, 10:57 AM
  2. Recommendations for Front mount snowblower Chain Lube?
    By Dale1995 in forum John Deere Owning/Operating
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-16-2009, 06:19 PM
  3. Snowblower Snowblower chain lube
    By smokydune in forum Attachments
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-19-2009, 11:30 AM
  4. Logging winch drive chain lube?
    By Blane in forum Attachments
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-17-2009, 09:57 PM
  5. dry chain lube for gator?
    By MrChris in forum ATVs & Utility Vehicles
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-18-2007, 04:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.