Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Discharge distance ?

/ Discharge distance ? #11  
Just a thought, but I had something similar to that once and I found out that the shear pin had, well, sheared off but part of it was still in there. As a result, there was quite a bit of slippage so that the blower was only running at half speed. Might be something to check.

/ Discharge distance ? #12  
i cant tell how het the snow is by the pic, but i used to have a JD870 with 25HP at the PTO and used a 60" snowblower, 2 stage unit. When the snow was real wet, it did slug up the chute at times, and didnt shoot very far. But if ui bumped the tractor into LOW gear reverse 1.5MPH as far as i remember) it did alot better job throwing wet snow.

Try slowing the rig down if you can. The main reason i dumped the 870 was it only had 3 reverse speeds... One too slow, one too fast and one that was sometimes just right. I sure love my HST unit now.

/ Discharge distance ? #14  
My guess is you've got a blower that's geared for 1100 rather than 540 rpm input.

Join the crowd, I've got one. It only throws snow 15 or 20 feet now instead of the 30 to 40 feet it did when I had a dual speed pto.
Still trying to figure what I'm going to do about it.

/ Discharge distance ?
i cant tell how het the snow is by the pic, but i used to have a JD870 with 25HP at the PTO and used a 60" snowblower, 2 stage unit. When the snow was real wet, it did slug up the chute at times, and didnt shoot very far. But if ui bumped the tractor into LOW gear reverse 1.5MPH as far as i remember) it did alot better job throwing wet snow.

Try slowing the rig down if you can. The main reason i dumped the 870 was it only had 3 reverse speeds... One too slow, one too fast and one that was sometimes just right. I sure love my HST unit now.

Yeah I have a hydro rig and even inching along it didn't do well.

/ Discharge distance ?
My guess is you've got a blower that's geared for 1100 rather than 540 rpm input.

Join the crowd, I've got one. It only throws snow 15 or 20 feet now instead of the 30 to 40 feet it did when I had a dual speed pto.
Still trying to figure what I'm going to do about it.

That was my original thought! So you guys that have a 540 blower, is your fan running at 540 rpm or is there a gear box stepping the speed up? Or same thing for you 1000 rpm guys, is your fan speed direct or a gear box stepping it down?

/ Discharge distance ? #17  
That was my original thought! So you guys that have a 540 blower, is your fan running at 540 rpm or is there a gear box stepping the speed up? Or same thing for you 1000 rpm guys, is your fan speed direct or a gear box stepping it down?

my old farmking ran at 540 ...no gearing to change that.

/ Discharge distance ? #18  

This is what the brochure says for my Frontier blower:
PTO speed is 540, impeller speed is 540, auger speed 190

There is a gearbox, but apparently the PTO shaft rpm's are passed straight through. The gear box also drives and provides the 90* turn for the auger chain sprocket shaft.

/ Discharge distance ? #19  
Same with my Lorenz blower. It runs 540rpm and the gear box is straight through to the impeller. Do the 1000rpm blowers gear down the impeller? It would be easy to check just by rolling it over by hand.

/ Discharge distance ? #20  
It was a pretty wet and heavy 10" snowfall, but really only 10 feet?

Have Frontier 3 point blower with JD4300 (32hp). At 540 rpm it will throw dry snow 30-40 feet but wet snow only about 10-15 feet. The moisture content makes a BIG difference.