Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Unloading an snow blower attachment

/ Unloading an snow blower attachment #1  

bncsauve

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti LK2554
I ordered a 3pt snow blower yesterday, without thinking much about how I am going to unload it from the truck that delivers it. It is a 60" model and weighs 480lbs. I have a 25 HP Kioti with a 60" FEL and Backhoe. I don't have forks for the bucket. I think the FEL is rated for about 900lbs at the pivot points. Any sage advice from the group? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Unloading an snow blower attachment #2  
slide one end at an angle into your bucket and strap or chain it around both the bucket and snowblower. should be fine that way. If you have bucket hooks even better!

/ Unloading an snow blower attachment #3  
Any tractor-accessible loading docks nearby? Steep bank or sand pile to back the truck into? A bud with a rollback? Any place within tractor driving distance that would have facilities (unload and hitch up / drive home)?...................chim

/ Unloading an snow blower attachment #4  
The loader should be fine? That Kioti is a heavy tractor for its HP if I remember right, should be stable.

/ Unloading an snow blower attachment #5  
I use my FEL with chains all the time to get rental tillers, etc out of the back of my truck. On those occasions where the item is so heavy I have concerns about lifting it so high, I simply lift it till it's suspended a few inches above the truck bed then have my wife drive the truck out from under the load. No sweat.

Pete

/ Unloading an snow blower attachment #6  
Toss a chain around your backhoe arm just above the bucket and use it. I use my JD 47 backhoe on my little 4200 for far more than your little 480 pound snowblower with no problems whatsoever. It's way easier than using the FEL and more versatile when it comes time to place the attachment just where you want it, too. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Another thing I've found to be invaluable in such applications is a short (maybe 12") piece of chain with a hook on either end. I can use that to effectively shorten my other chains to exactly the length I need. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Unloading an snow blower attachment
Many thanks to all the folks for the replies. I got lots of good advice. It turns out, the week they are delivering it, I will be out of town, so I guess I will have to bite the bullet and pay for them to deliver it on a lift gate truck. Thanks again