Ariens Stalling

/ Ariens Stalling #1  

hobie

Silver Member
Tractor
Jazee One
I have an Ariens walk behind blower that is stalling out. I usually shut the fuel line off and run it until it dry. I am not the only one using it, and the gas I'm using was bought by somebody else, I don't know if there is any stabilizer in it and it is at least 2 months old. I started it first pull it ran a few seconds and died. Started again reduced choke and it seemed to run fine. Got it around house and started driveway after a few minutes it stalled. It would restart with the choke maxed out, but only run a few seconds. I'm planning to drain gas, and replace w/new w/stabilizer. Maybe get carb cleaner to spray carb? Any advice would be appreciated. Engine is a 7hp Tecumseh. Thanks in advance

/ Ariens Stalling #2  
Sounds like a fuel starvation issue. Your plan to replace the fuel and spray out the carb seems like a good one.
It's also possible that there might be some water in the fuel.

/ Ariens Stalling #4  

Pull the bowl off the carb. You might find some crap in there. Also, there should be a brass screw w tiny holes in it. Clean these out w one strand fr some small gauge electrical wire.

/ Ariens Stalling #5  
Yes, fuel starvation usually caused by corrosion in the pilot jet caused by ethanol fuel. As mentioned by a previous reply, rove the bowl and clean out the jets. Torch tip cleaners work good, stainless fishing wire for the smaller ones too.

/ Ariens Stalling
Thanks to all. I haven't figured out how to remove cover over carb etc. yet. It has the choke knob on the top, and key and throttle on the side, so not easy to access the carb.

/ Ariens Stalling #7  
a small unit ? if so, tip the unit forward [ or on it's side ] a bit to look under ..... if you have an adjustable jet, count the number of turns in then .... just reach under neath with a deep 1/2 socket ... middle of the bowl ... undo ,and then wiggle the bowl loose ( note location of any bumps in the bowl ) .... spray carb cleaner up into the middle where the jet went, clean the jet you just removed ... re-install the bowl, put the jet back in place with the socket and screw in the adjustment needle finger tight, then back out the number of turns counted ...

/ Ariens Stalling
The snow is starting up again here, and I haven't tried tipping the machine yet. I can't figure out how to get the cover off, or even remove the choke knob! I'll try tipping the machine to see if that gives me access to the bowl. Called the local shop that worked on it last year, and guy said he thought it was gas cap not venting properly. The cap on there doesn't vent, just one piece plastic. He wouldn't tell me how to get the cover off, and is out of stock for tecumseh gas caps. About to head out and try tipping...

/ Ariens Stalling
joatguy, Thank you! You are a lifesaver! Followed your excellent instructions step by step, and machine is running fine! What a relief! Snowing hard now and about 3-4" on the ground already. Thank you! thank you! Brian

/ Ariens Stalling #10  
glad the Forum could help ....
:thumbsup: