Snow Attachments single stage snow blower worth it?

/ single stage snow blower worth it?
Well I'm trying to consider it. Nobody answered an hour ago. Now, nothing but busy signals.

It is 110 miles from my parent's place in Maine - headiing up there next weekend. I figure I ought to talk to the owner and ask a few questions before blowing 5 hours of my time to go check it out.

Got in touch with the seller. He doesn't know how old it is, but it isn't falling apart. You can still read International & the serial number on the machine.

Faces the rear of the tractor - IE drive in reverse to use it. Claims the bearings, chains etc. are in good shape.

There isn't a chute adjuster, but I'm temped to rig one up like Von did (electric) or a double cable setup they have on the new walk behind snowblowers now.

Wish it were closer... Not to be snooty, but with how busy I've been lately, the 5 hours of my time is more important to me than the $300. Sounds like plenty of interested parties here if I'm not happy with the purchase.

Does anyone know if International is still in business?

/ single stage snow blower worth it? #13  
Used a few single stages before, a beat up single stage isn't worth 10$. At the time I had no welding equipment or skill to rebuild the auger. I'd end up leaving the PTO disengaged and plow with the **** thing!

Beat up 2 stage will still work but once the tip clearance on the impeller gets too big it won't throw far. 2 stage generally leaves a bigger left over pile too.

/ single stage snow blower worth it? #14  
I almost, no I did forget this. I had a fellow with a few physical(nothing mental) handicaps. When Cadet went from the single to the two stage he came back and got his old blower. This fellow mowed lawns and cleaned driveways as long as he didn't have to get off the tractor. He had about 15 places that the he took care of. When using the two stage it always was pushing some snow, we even sped up the cross auger to no avail. With the single stage he said it sucked some of the snow out from the cars left in the driveway.

<font color="blue">a beat up single stage isn't worth 10$ </font>

Well, I've been thinking it over: Weighing 5 hours of my precious time on the road vs. # of nights spent on the couch after wifey sees the rust bucket I just paid $300 for vs. rigging up some kind of chute adjustment, vs. potentially saving a few minutes per storm, I've decided not to buy the thing. If he were close & I could try it out in the snow first, might be another story. The key decision maker was when I asked the seller why he was selling it. He said: "I hear the two stages are supposed to work better" I take that as an indication that he's not happy with it's performance. Ie he was willing to shell out $1,400 for a new one to replace it.

I think I'll hold out for a later model 2 stage (a quick survey of the the want ads / local dealer indicates that should cost me $500-$900). If anybody here is interested in this machine, send me a PM & I'll get yout the guy's phone number. He is in Hartland, ME (50 Miles North of Augusta)

/ single stage snow blower worth it? #16  
I'm just a little curious here is this a three point hitch blower or a front mount? I not familiar with a three point hich one.

/ single stage snow blower worth it? #18  
I'd not be familiar with a front mount version. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

International Harvester was bought by Case. Case has since loosely merged with New Holland, which used to be Ford. But a Case dealer is different from a New Holland dealer - they are both owned by the same parent company tho. The new Case compact tractors look a _whole lot_ like New Holland compacts, in fact. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

--->Paul