Snow Equipment Owning/Operating plowing snow with rear blade, push or pull?

/ plowing snow with rear blade, push or pull? #1  

ChrisW

Tractor
Kioti 3054
I have a 6' rear blade that is fully adjustable and a 600' paved drive to do this winter. I did go to TSC and got a 1" thick or so cow/horse mat and cut a strip to attatch to the blade so that I don't hurt the drive.

Now, is is better to drive forward and pull the snow to the side or to drive backwards with the blade turned around and push it. I have R4 tires and don't know how well they will grab if I try to push it going in reverse. I also didn't lmow if driving forward and packing the snow with the tires would make it more difficult for the blade to scape it all off.

Thanks in advance for your responces.
Chris

Dayton, OH area

/ plowing snow with rear blade, push or pull? #2  
I have 400 ft of concrete drive and a large parking pad. I use a combination of techniques. Some pushing and some pulling. It also depends on the type of snow, wet or light and airy. I also run my blade right on the concrete. I don't use any kind of edge protection. I really don't see any damage to my concrete. I have marked it in a few spots with tire chains though.

/ plowing snow with rear blade, push or pull? #3  
I had the same question last year when we moved to our new home with an eight hundred foot driveway. I drove forward and angled the blade to the side. Did a good job in a very snowy winter. The trick seems to be not to let the snow get more than six or eight inches deep. I could go so much fast forward and then use the bucket to push the piles back if ned be.

/ plowing snow with rear blade, push or pull? #4  
Hi...

I pull the snow with the rear blade angled to deflect the snow to the side...

I also push the snow going in reverse but with the blade still facing forward... this is pretty time-effective moving snow when I'm backing up anyway...

The rear blade also nicely rides up mounds of snow when the wrong side of the blade is pushing in reverse... great for piling it up...

Dave...

/ plowing snow with rear blade, push or pull? #5  
I know a lot of you guys plow snow with rear blade and I have to upon occasion. I always found going forward that my tires packed down the snow such that the blade couldn't get to bare ground and the tire packed strips turned to icy ridges. I still use a box scraper occasionally but find that to totally clear i use the loader busket or a front plow. I also made an attachment to allow a 3pt hitch attachment to be counted in my bucket so I cab pusn with things like a blade.

Andy

/ plowing snow with rear blade, push or pull? #6  
Last Winter was the first time I had a FEL for snow removal. The rear blade was still very efficient for smaller snows, but for deep stuff, piling snow up and scraping down to bare blacktop, the FEL was nice. Over the Summer, I added a bolt-on wear stip to the bucket. Wear from just one season on the factory edge was noticeable. It was a simple fix to eliminate further wear on the welded-on factory edge......................chim

/ plowing snow with rear blade, push or pull? #7  
How about the best of both worlds! I am just finishing getting my setup put together. I picked up an old 7' pickup truck blade which I am welding up a bracket for the quicktach loader arms. Got the A-frame and cyl as well. Now on the back I just picked up a 7' rear slider blade that angles as well. I figure I should be able to kick it out at least 4' to one side. I am now stripping both edges with horse mats to keep pavement nice. I have more than 1,200 ft of driveway. I figure that I will have a plow width of about 11 ft. I can angle the front one way and the rear the other. In fact I could mimic the effect of the town plows by having a wing push the snow further back on the sides. Cool in theory and cheap in execution. Will post pictures soon.
Best,
Larry

/ plowing snow with rear blade, push or pull? #8  
I push it (driving in reverse), but my drive is only 150' or so. 600' driving in reverse is another matter.
But, it really depends upon your physical condition. We middle aged guys aren't as limber as we used to be.

Also, my blade...a rather ancient used job I picked up for $60, doesn't pivot 180°. I'd have to unbolt and see if the bolts would line up if I reversed it.

I'd try pushing first. If that's too much of a hassle or "pain in the neck", rotate the blade and pull the snow.

/ plowing snow with rear blade, push or pull? #9  
Hi Larry,

I plow with a rig about your size. It does not have chains or loaded tires. In deep, wet snow, the 7 foot angled rear blade pushes the rear of the tractor sideways. I'm wondering with your front and rear setup, would you have twice the problem?

John

/ plowing snow with rear blade, push or pull? #10  
Fair question, stay tuned. Devil is always in the details and it is possible to have that problem, If the snow was wet and heavy, I could angle both blades the same way, take a smaller cut with the front blade and let the rear pick up another couple of feet without the push. Just guessing but I will let you know.
Lar