How long does a tractor snowblower last>

/ How long does a tractor snowblower last> #21  
I bought my1989 73" Allied snow blower used. It already had repairs made to it - mostly casing. I am sure most manage to accidently pump gravel through their blowers from time to time. Sand and gravel can be quite aggressive and will certainly tin the sheet metal pretty quick.
I too, am considering lining the impeller housing on my blower, with the high density plastic stuff (UHDFW ???) as it will be much easier to work with than clamping welding 1/8" thick steel reinforcing material.
Apart from changing some bearings and replacing chain joining links, very little has been replaced on my 25 year old blower. With decent attention to maintenance, the machines can last a long time.

/ How long does a tractor snowblower last> #23  
   / How long does a tractor snowblower last> #24  
Very timely topic. Today I plan to pick up a Pronovost 64" Puma blower. I stopped to look at it yesterday afternoon. It seemed to be in OK condition with the exception of the inside of the blower. It is good and solid but the paint in the housing is gone and there's surface rust inside the housing and on the inside of the chute.

The first solution I came up with is to clean it up and shoot it with a catalyzed paint we tried at work. We put a new floor in a truck with a utility body and the local body shop guy recommended a coating that can be used on bare metal. We have since done our flagpole and a landscape trailer. Everything is holding up well.

I would have a concern with lining the housing because of trapping moisture between the lining and the housing. That could accelerate rusting rather than prevent it.

What do you think about drilling a couple of drain holes in the housing to allow melted snow to drain out?

/ How long does a tractor snowblower last> #25  
Very timely topic. Today I plan to pick up a Pronovost 64" Puma blower. I stopped to look at it yesterday afternoon. It seemed to be in OK condition with the exception of the inside of the blower. It is good and solid but the paint in the housing is gone and there's surface rust inside the housing and on the inside of the chute.

The first solution I came up with is to clean it up and shoot it with a catalyzed paint we tried at work. We put a new floor in a truck with a utility body and the local body shop guy recommended a coating that can be used on bare metal. We have since done our flagpole and a landscape trailer. Everything is holding up well.

I would have a concern with lining the housing because of trapping moisture between the lining and the housing. That could accelerate rusting rather than prevent it.

What do you think about drilling a couple of drain holes in the housing to allow melted snow to drain out?

My Meteor has a drain hole in the bottom of the chute. Good idea, if snow melts it can pool, then refreeze creating an ice jam.

/ How long does a tractor snowblower last> #26  
My JD 59" front blower could be close to 25-30 years old...
It came with the correct mounting hardware to fit my JD855, which is a 1987 year model..

I suppose I could try to track down an exact age by the serial number....
But that is close enough for me...

It still runs and looks good...

Good luck...