How long does a tractor snowblower last>

/ How long does a tractor snowblower last> #1  

Kubotafan

Veteran Member
Tractor
G1800AWS, B3030HSDCC, L3540HSTCC, JD710A
I was wondering what the life expectancy on a tractor snowblower is. How long before a gear box needs rebuilding? What problem signs should a person look for? I have one that has cleared about 2000 driveways and am wondering what maintenance I should consider before the next season. I prefer to do things now and not in the middle of a snow storm.

/ How long does a tractor snowblower last> #2  
Good questions. I've seen folks on craigslist around here selling old v-style blowers from the 40s-50s that supposedly work perfectly. My chinese piece of crap needs a little more TLC.

I would assume they're like anything else- keep oil in the box and grease on the zerks and just be ready to replace or repair the occasional part and you'll be good to go. If you're doing it commercially then I'd almost definitely have an extra gearbox ready to go if you ever do break down. Otherwise what is there to fix that isn't just bending or welding? Is yours driven off a chain?

/ How long does a tractor snowblower last> #3  
Do your regular maintenance. Top off gear oil grease it oil the chain and you should be pretty good to go I think. Unless your wearing out the base or skids I wouldn't be too worried.

/ How long does a tractor snowblower last>
I have replaced the shoes and cutting edge as they wore out. The chain has been replaced several times. I had one blower where the blower housing started to get holes and had to be rebuilt. The cogs also wear, but not sure at what point they should be replaced. I had to rebuild one gear box on a blower, but think it may have been the result of a grease zerk not getting enough grease.

/ How long does a tractor snowblower last> #5  
With proper maintenance there is no reason why they shouldn't last 10 years, at least.

/ How long does a tractor snowblower last>
With proper maintenance there is no reason why they shouldn't last 10 years, at least.

Does the amount of use effect this? Some people may do 20 or less a year. I did over 500 this winter. We won't both get the same number of years.

/ How long does a tractor snowblower last> #7  
I should think that amount of use is definitely a factor, along with TYPE of use, and perhaps even non-use.
More gravel = more wear and tear on just about everything. If you are doing pavement and the only thing going through the machine is snow then I'd guess you'd at least have a less scratched up looking unit!

My blower generally just chugs along fine with the occasional shear pin blown from gravel or sticks or whatnot. I occasionally blow my sisters driveway and she always has all sorts of hidden goodies. This past winter I got a head-sized rock jambed into the chain/gear inside the blower box. Sure stopped me quick....I removed the rock (what gouge marks!) and everything seemed fine except the chain was broken. Pins didn't even have time to shear. I eventually discovered that the shock of that rock without breaking the pins completed stressed every third or so link on the chain, making it pretty worthless. That's something one may or may not have to deal with in a parking lot.

/ How long does a tractor snowblower last> #8  
Which tractor do you blow with? I have the B3030HSDCC and am a little concerned with the wear on the inside of the impeller housing and the thickness of the metal. I have been thinking about how to deal with it. Should I hard surface weld this which would be a bit of a challenge. I was even think about Rhino Lining (lining used in pickup truck beds). I kind of agree with the other comments. Keep fresh oil in the transfer case and keep your shafts greased. I also think being easy on the equipment and taking a little longer to do the job will go a long way towards making mine the last blower that I ever have to buy.

/ How long does a tractor snowblower last> #9  
Which tractor do you blow with? I have the B3030HSDCC and am a little concerned with the wear on the inside of the impeller housing and the thickness of the metal. I have been thinking about how to deal with it. Should I hard surface weld this which would be a bit of a challenge. I was even think about Rhino Lining (lining used in pickup truck beds). I kind of agree with the other comments. Keep fresh oil in the transfer case and keep your shafts greased. I also think being easy on the equipment and taking a little longer to do the job will go a long way towards making mine the last blower that I ever have to buy.

Nice video! Thanks for sharing.

/ How long does a tractor snowblower last> #10  
Does the amount of use effect this? Some people may do 20 or less a year. I did over 500 this winter. We won't both get the same number of years.

You use a blower on 500 jobs in one year, there should be enough revenue to replace it BEFORE it needs major attention. The drive chain should be replaced without even thinking about it, and the gearbox should be drained & filled. PTO shaft u-joints & telescoping tubes need a close inspection.