Damaged Frontier SB1274 question

/ Damaged Frontier SB1274 question #1  

MinnesotaEric

Tractor
Kioti NX6010
After experiencing sticker shock while looking at commercial grade blowers, I've been sniffing around for used commercial blowers with hydro chute and deflect. I found a dealer with a damaged Frontier SB1274. The blower has a blown out universal joint (now removed) and I don't think the dealer spotted it, but the main auger is bent. I can only imagine how how the last operator was jamming this thing into snow banks to trash the SMV sign, bend the auger and blow out a universal joint.

This blower is about 500 miles from me, but I'm interested in it so long as I can get the dealer to drop his drawers on the price in consideration of the damage.

If I do wind up chasing off to look at this thing, is there anything you guys know that I should also be looking at?

FWIW, in other photos the quick attachment hose ends look really dirty and I'd want to flush the thing before hooking up to my gear. Do you guys think it it is worth trying to get this thing for half the price of new and then try heating and banging the auger back into shape? I think I can cut the weld, heat the auger up with a torch and hammer it back into place enough to where it should not matter, and weld the support back on--but I don't know if the main auger shaft is still straight. A new auger is nearly a grand.

Any insight?

378236d1401952810-damaged-frontier-sb1274-question-screen-shot-2014-06-05-a

Attachments

• IMG_4973.jpg
    IMG_4973.jpg
    762.4 KB · Views: 371
  • Screen Shot 2014-06-05 at 2.14.07 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-06-05 at 2.14.07 AM.png
    27 KB · Views: 856
Last edited:
   / Damaged Frontier SB1274 question #2  
I see the bend in the auger. In four years I have snapped two shear bolts on my Frontier 74" blower--picked up a rock. My auger is straight. With the torn-up u-joint and bent auger, I wonder if the gearbox is in good shape?

That blower new with hydraulic controls and quick hitch must be north of $3500.

/ Damaged Frontier SB1274 question
I see the bend in the auger. In four years I have snapped two shear bolts on my Frontier 74" blower--picked up a rock. My auger is straight. With the torn-up u-joint and bent auger, I wonder if the gearbox is in good shape?

That blower new with hydraulic controls and quick hitch must be north of $3500.

Best price new I've received is $6800 for a SB1274 with all hydros. Sadly, the dealer that has this damaged blower, must not have noticed the bent auger, and given their customer a trade value of something around my offer, because they were unwilling to take my offer of $2500 over the phone. I thought my offer fair given that we know the entire driveline took a severe hit given that on both ends, something got damaged and needs parts and labor to repair.

The quick hitch belongs to the customer and isn't included in the deal.

/ Damaged Frontier SB1274 question #4  
$6800? Yikes. I guess I have lost track of snow blower prices. Mine is all manual chute control. I bought it new in March 2010 for $2550. I would keep shopping or look into other brands that may be better built for that money.

/ Damaged Frontier SB1274 question #5  
Dont waste your time on it.

The end bearings are suspect immediately.

The chain drive would also be suspect because
the auger was stressed.

Buy a new Lorenz or a Pronovost or Allied Farm King and bite the bullet and
either snow caster will outlive your tractors.

/ Damaged Frontier SB1274 question #6  
After experiencing sticker shock while looking at commercial grade blowers, I've been sniffing around for used commercial blowers with hydro chute and deflect. I found a dealer with a damaged Frontier SB1274. The blower has a blown out universal joint (now removed) and I don't think the dealer spotted it, but the main auger is bent. I can only imagine how how the last operator was jamming this thing into snow banks to trash the SMV sign, bend the auger and blow out a universal joint.

This blower is about 500 miles from me, but I'm interested in it so long as I can get the dealer to drop his drawers on the price in consideration of the damage.

If I do wind up chasing off to look at this thing, is there anything you guys know that I should also be looking at?

FWIW, in other photos the quick attachment hose ends look really dirty and I'd want to flush the thing before hooking up to my gear. Do you guys think it it is worth trying to get this thing for half the price of new and then try heating and banging the auger back into shape? I think I can cut the weld, heat the auger up with a torch and hammer it back into place enough to where it should not matter, and weld the support back on--but I don't know if the main auger shaft is still straight. A new auger is nearly a grand.

Any insight?

378236d1401952810-damaged-frontier-sb1274-question-screen-shot-2014-06-05-a
From your photo, the auger shaft looks straight ( line of sight from bottom to shaft appears aligned) just the one vane is bent which shouldn't effect the blower. You would need to rotate the auger 90 degrees to check for any bow in the other direction but I would think if it were bent, it would show at least some in the photo. As for repair, a heat and bend would make it good as new, but it would likely work as is. For half price, it would be a bargain but unless there is more hidden damage, I wouldn't expect the dealer to knock that much off for a bent vane and a U-joint