Kubota braking traction

/ Kubota braking traction #1  

iis

Tractor
none yet
I have a 1200 ft driveway that is steep in one area. I previously used a 4x4 pickup with v bar chains on all wheels. This setup allowed me to grip ice without a problem. I am looking to buy a new B series Kubota(2650 or 3200) and have read all the posts here regarding traction. I know that V bar works great but my concern is now with braking going downhill. It seems to be true that only the back wheels brake (or do the front brake as well through the transmission via 4 wheel drive?). IF the front wheels in fact do not brake, how would this tractor react to ice and vbar chains? Can I turn? Will it want to go sideways? Is this where brake steering comes into play (can a B series even do this?)

Thanks.

/ Kubota braking traction #2  
When in four wheel drive the same brakes that stop the tractor in two wheel drive also work the fronts via the driveshaft. On paved surfaces we use studs in tires instead of chains.

/ Kubota braking traction #3  
In 4x4 the front axle is braked via the front driveshaft. Since there is a differential in the front, it is not the same as having brakes on all 4 wheels like a truck.

/ Kubota braking traction
OK. This is what I wanted to hear. Does anyone know if these models are able to brake steer?

/ Kubota braking traction #5  
You can also lock the differential while in 4WD for more braking power.

I am 99.9% sure that these tractors have independent brakes.

/ Kubota braking traction #6  
Weight is your friend in these instances.
You may want to consider a larger tractor for this type of hill.
Have the rear's and fronts loaded, with chains,
turning on any steep hill during winter conditions takes skill, I'm not sure i would want to tackle
the hill you described, in winter, with a B series tractor.

/ Kubota braking traction #7  
A couple of things, for normal braking if you have a hydrostatic transmission you are not going to be using the brakes on the back axle much anyway, the transmission will be doing most of the braking when you back off of the hydro pedal. As noted, be sure to keep it in 4WD so the contact patch of the front tires will assist in maintaining traction thru the dirveline. If you are in 2WD then only the rear tires will keep you from sliding down the hill, and can easily break traction. Once traction is lost and the tires start to slide, it is very difficult to regain that traction. Now as to the question of brake steering on a Kubota B series. Yes it has independent brakes on each side and you can brake steer with them, but they are inconvenient to use on a hydro equipped machine as the brakes are on the right and so is the hydro pedal. Some folks are good at doing the "Kubota shuffle" and crossing their left leg over and operating the steering brakes. On Gear machines the right side brakes are not a problem as you can set the throttle with the hand lever and your right foot is able to operate the brakes for steering.

/ Kubota braking traction #8  
A couple of things, for normal braking if you have a hydrostatic transmission you are not going to be using the brakes on the back axle much anyway, the transmission will be doing most of the braking when you back off of the hydro pedal. As noted, be sure to keep it in 4WD so the contact patch of the front tires will assist in maintaining traction thru the dirveline. If you are in 2WD then only the rear tires will keep you from sliding down the hill, and can easily break traction. Once traction is lost and the tires start to slide, it is very difficult to regain that traction. Now as to the question of brake steering on a Kubota B series. Yes it has independent brakes on each side and you can brake steer with them, but they are inconvenient to use on a hydro equipped machine as the brakes are on the right and so is the hydro pedal. Some folks are good at doing the "Kubota shuffle" and crossing their left leg over and operating the steering brakes. On Gear machines the right side brakes are not a problem as you can set the throttle with the hand lever and your right foot is able to operate the brakes for steering.

James, all good points, but the B2650 and B3350 now have the steering brakes on the left like the GL60 Series.

/ Kubota braking traction #9  
Weight is your friend in these instances.
You may want to consider a larger tractor for this type of hill.
Have the rear's and fronts loaded, with chains,
turning on any steep hill during winter conditions takes skill, I'm not sure i would want to tackle
the hill you described, in winter, with a B series tractor.

I disagree with this. I don't see how weight could be your friend. Traction is your friend, chains, 4wd, soft rubber ,studded tires etc. Beyond that, ice is ice. Something really light with great traction would be the best on an icy hill, lots of traction keeping you where you want to be, not much momentum to change when you hit the brakes.

/ Kubota braking traction #10  
James, all good points, but the B2650 and B3350 now have the steering brakes on the left like the GL60 Series.

Thanks I had forgotten those new models now have left side brakes. I find the left side brakes very convenient to use for steering and holding your push line when pushing snow. When scraping up ice, it often "unloads" the front tires and the steering brakes are the only way to maintain directional control.