chains

/ chains #1  

chuck172

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti DK40SEH, Ford 4500TLB, Ford 8n
I'm starting to think snow. Too hot around here lately.
I'm going to be mounting an old plow blade on the frame of my Kioti ck35. Tie the hydraulics into it from the loader. My rear industrial 15-19.5 tires are loaded with rimguard. I'll also be adding about 750 lbs. of concrete rear ballast.
I'd like to get chains for the rear tires also. Anyone recommend a particular style chain and a good place to order from?

/ chains #2  
tirechains.com or check your local TSC store. I bought mine on closeout. They must have sat on the shelf for years. I have the standard ladder chains. They work well for me.

Last edited:
   / chains #3  
I bought a set of 2 link ladder chains for the rear of my TC29 from Tirechain.com. They are also 15-19.5
Made a world of difference, worth every penny

/ chains #5  
Chains are useful when the surface is icy. I don't think you will be needing extra ballast beyond your filled rear tires. There is a limit to how much you can push straight on, but angling the plow will help out with that. Of course then you'll hit a new limit- how much you can push before the front end stops griping and you slide off line.

/ chains #6  
Ditto on tirechains.com. Good service. I bought the 2 link ladder standard chain and it helped on my R4 tires. The only ballast I use is the rear blade with the FEL up front. This time of year is the best to get delivery vs waiting until winter. There surely are other sources as well.

/ chains #7  
which chains did you get v1, How well do they work with R4 tires?
15-19.5 Tractor Tire Chains

I got the 2 link ladder chains. These are more than expensive than the 4 link type but they give a much smoother ride because they have twice as many cross links
They work great with my R4s, because there are so many cross links they don't really fall in between the lugs of the tires.
Also, they don't tear up my asphalt driveway but they do make little tiny marks on the concrete floor of my garage, no big deal.

/ chains #8  
I got my Chains at tirechains.com as well, got the ones with the extra cross bars and the V bars added to each chain. They work very well with my R4 tires and I was supper happy at how well they pull. I plowed 10" of wet snow up a small hill and had no problems and did not have it in 4 wheel drive. A huge dif than the year before.

/ chains #9  
I had heavy duty V-bar tractor chains when I had my Ford 1710 4x4. Fantastic traction - used them on all four wheels. With the new bigger tractor I don't need them or the hassle anymore.

They were heavy, expensive, tough to instal correctly and made the little tractor ride like a cob. I don't miss using chains.

/ chains #10  
I also got the 2 link ladder chains for my R4 rears. They can make a big difference under certain conditions. Especially on ice.