Front mount snow blower disassembly question

/ Front mount snow blower disassembly question #1  

Jay4200

Veteran Member
Tractor
L4200GST w/ LA680 & BX2200D w/ LA211
This is specifically for a Kubota BX2750 front-mount blower, but I suspect that they are all pretty much the same (if not made in the same factory and use the same parts).

I found that the output shaft (auger shaft) of my 'new-to-me' snowblower is damaged - auger was loose and I was hoping it was a partially sheared pin. Nope...shear pin hole is egged out about 1/2" in both dimensions - shaft is ruined. My problem is getting the shaft out of the transmission output collar.

The shaft moves about 1/2" back n' forth through the transmission output collar with a little tapping, but I can't get it to budge either way any farther than that. It locks up in one direction, then after a tap with a hammer, slides the 1/2" and locks up in the other. I actually have the tranny apart, so just the gear and bearings are attached to the shaft, but my question is the same. Should that shaft slide easily in/out of the gear collar? I want to push the collar off of the undamaged side, since the damaged side is fairly munged. I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything before I break out a wood block and a BFH.

Thx.

/ Front mount snow blower disassembly question #2  
Without seeing it.... It sounds as the shaft metal around the hole has been displaced into the worn hole in the gear and is keeping the gear/shaft from coming apart... You may have to just press the shaft out regardless of what it takes to do it...

Now you can drill out the hole in the shaft... Place a length of bar stock in the hole, contour to the shaft OD, re make the pin hole...
Maybe in the gear you can make the pin hole oversize and put bushing in the holes where the pin will secure it to the shaft..

Providing replacement parts are not available, hard to find, expensive....

Good luck

/ Front mount snow blower disassembly question
Now you can drill out the hole in the shaft... Place a length of bar stock in the hole, contour to the shaft OD, re make the pin hole...
Maybe in the gear you can make the pin hole oversize and put bushing in the holes where the pin will secure it to the shaft..

Providing replacement parts are not available, hard to find, expensive....

Nah - new shaft is $60. I'd be crazy to fix the old one. BUT, I have to get the f'n thing out of the gear collar!

/ Front mount snow blower disassembly question
'Kay doods - I got the whole thing apart!! I drilled a 1" hole in a piece of wood, slid it onto the shaft, and bashed the collar off with a hammer. Worked great. I also pulled all of the bearings off of their respective shafts (lots of Aerokroil and the same piece of wood for the hitch shaft - they were stubborn). NOW - I just have to find a bearing source - most of the area bearing shops seem to have vanished over the last several years.

Incidentally, Kubota factory bearings are cheapo Chinese bearings, so if I can find a US made bearing for similar money or a Chinese bearing source for significantly less, I'll go one of those routes. Otherwise, I'll just get them all from Kubota when I order the new fan and augers.

In case anyone needs this information: the quick hitch shaft bearings are the same as the snowblower bearing behind the fan. If you use the Kubota part numbers, the hitch bearings are $20 and the fan bearing is $15. Get 3 fan bearings instead.