RAD B74A Snowblower

/ RAD B74A Snowblower #1  

RCman

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L3540 & Simplicity Broadmoor
New to me that is...
I was searching for awhile now for a new blower since we just had the driveway done in grindings/millings and I didn't want to tear it all up with the FEL.
I had my heart set on a Puma 74" but I just couldn't find a good used one in nice shape and a new one was just crazy expensive, even a unit that was NOS sitting on the lot for 2 years was very little break on price. A dealer that had a few Pumas also had this used RAD Blizzard B74A which is similar to the Kubota L2674 and Frontier SB1174 models with a few minor differences depending on year of manufacture.

I couldn't pass up the price and even got the dealer to order and throw in a hydraulic rotation kit for it. Overall it was in great shape other than some paint issues. I would come to find out later on that the PTO shaft needs replacing and if anyone has any good suggestions for that other than the $611 the dealer wants for one with a shear bolt (regular, non shear is $174) I would appreciate it. I would just swap that yoke over but it is a bit spent/worn.

Blizzard_B74_OnDealerLot4.jpg

Got it home:
3pt_Snowblower1.jpg

Then we pressure washed the entire thing with de-greaser, de-stickered, sanded, and began painting the entire thing:
3pt_Snowblower2.jpg

Reassembled, fresh fluids and grease. Few things I noted; the internet was wrong (surprise! :laughing:) Massey Ferguson Grey is not a good substitute for Kubota ROPs Grey. Oh well. I ran out anyway so the fan ended up orange. I would have liked the fan grey like the auger and the chute but I can live with it.
3pt_Snowblower3.jpg

3pt_Snowblower4.jpg

I did order the drift cutters and all new decals from my local Kubota dealer since they were very cheap (Nice when that happens!). I have since put the safety decals on and will snap some more photos when I get the chute deflector hydraulic ram in place. I still have to order that and the hoses, probably from Surplus Center since they have the ram with the same specs as the rotator and that should just bolt right in place and work correct based on the measurements I took.

Also, I didn't have any rear remotes on my L3540 so I added (1) L8308 standard valve and (2) L8309 float detent valves. Install was pretty easy besides the trip to the hardware store for missing clips and o-rings. I really only need 2 valves at this point but not sure what I'll need down the road so I figured I might as well do all 3 now. I have just as much into the valves as I do the snowblower. :embarrassed: The fit and finish on the factory parts in nice though. I picked up some flow restrictors from Brian @ Fit Rite so that the chute doesn't slam one way or the other. I will say it is nice to be able to control it exactly.

L3540_Rear_Remotes.jpg

I'll post some complete photos when I get the hydraulic chute deflector ram installed. For now I am very happy with the turnout. I do want to take a page from Paul & Kathy's (4shorts) book as well and mount some lights on the chute and maybe a strobe on the back, we'll see.

Now I almost can't wait for it to snow! :D

Last edited:
   / RAD B74A Snowblower #2  
Wow. Impressive. You did good. That thing will blow snow right up here to Canada:laughing:
You'll enjoy using it as we do ours. It cam move a lot of snow in a short period of time. I'm to wimpy for an open station tractor though lol.
Glad you got a few ideas from us. The Shute lights work really well. Just make sure their led's because they'll handle any vibration well.
Thanks for posting. Loving it.
Come on snow! :D

/ RAD B74A Snowblower #3  
I put a strip of reflective tape on the side of mine. Helps it stand out at night when backing out into roadways.

Nice blower for the price.

/ RAD B74A Snowblower #4  
The cost for a new PTO shaft seems pretty high- I replaced the shaft for my post hole auger with one from the manuf. (Italian shaft) for about $130 delivered. It has a shear bolt... Maybe the snow blowers have a fancier piece of equipment?

/ RAD B74A Snowblower
Thanks for the compliments guys.
Off topic, Paul, I think I have watched every one of your videos at this point. I like the detail in the latest ones with the mower, etc.

The cost for a new PTO shaft seems pretty high- I replaced the shaft for my post hole auger with one from the manuf. (Italian shaft) for about $130 delivered. It has a shear bolt... Maybe the snow blowers have a fancier piece of equipment?
I thought so too, even the dealer thought it was nuts.

Where did you get your shaft?

/ RAD B74A Snowblower #6  
Where did you get the brackets for the hydraulic rotation. Pretty spendy for what they are from Deere.

/ RAD B74A Snowblower
Where did you get the brackets for the hydraulic rotation. Pretty spendy for what they are from Deere.

I worked them in as part of the deal when I bought the unit from the dealer.

/ RAD B74A Snowblower #8  
Do you think they would be hard to make? I have a pretty good machining ability. Dimensions and getting the correct geometry might be the hardest part. I think I have the black bracket figured out it's the two curved brackets that might give some trouble. Are they made of 5/16" material?

/ RAD B74A Snowblower
It would probably be easier to cut the handle off the hand rotator right at the flex joint and use a hydro motor on that. A simple bracket could do that right quick. That's what I would have done had it not be part of the deal when I bought it.

/ RAD B74A Snowblower
Oh, but to answer your questions. No they would be pretty simple. Not sure plain jane 1018 5/16" would live long with the spans and arc unsupported but probably don't need all the of the strength of the doubled up 1/2" plate (yes, 1" in most spots) that RAD uses.