Can my tractor handle this snow blower (with extension wings)?

/ Can my tractor handle this snow blower (with extension wings)? #1  

mbkubota

Tractor
Kubota B2320
Hi,

I just picked up a Meteor SB51 rear blower for my Kubota B2320. The previous owner had fabricated bolt on extension wings to widen the cut to 63 inches. I know the tractor can handle the blower without the wings, but what about with the wings? What's your vote, leave the wings on or take them off? Would appreciate any feedback!

/ Can my tractor handle this snow blower (with extension wings)? #2  
I think you should try it. Especially if you think you could remove the wings easily this winter if it proves to be too much. With hst you can keep the rpms up and go slow on ground speed.

I have a 60 inch blower on my 2620 which has 3 more hp.

But keep in mind you may find it more efficient to reduce it back to 51 inches. It would still be slightly wider than your wheels.

/ Can my tractor handle this snow blower (with extension wings)? #3  
I agree with GP...can't hurt to give it a try...

/ Can my tractor handle this snow blower (with extension wings)? #4  
I also agree with GP and Roy. I run a 74" blower with 22 HP on the PTO - no problem with the HST.

/ Can my tractor handle this snow blower (with extension wings)?
How do I know if it's too much? Speed the tractor is able to drive? Rpms dropping? I have 17hp at pto. Curious how fast you guys can go with a rear blower (based in different snow conditions)? I've always used a loader mounted plow.

/ Can my tractor handle this snow blower (with extension wings)? #6  
How do I know if it's too much? Speed the tractor is able to drive? Rpms dropping? I have 17hp at pto. Curious how fast you guys can go with a rear blower (based in different snow conditions)? I've always used a loader mounted plow.

All of the above. Keep your throttle wide open, use low range and then see what it can do. You will notice right away how fast or slow you can go depending on how deep the snow is. If the rpms drop slow down your ground speed. If you have to go too slow (a personal judgement), then you can take the wings off.

There really isn't any science to it.

P.S. You will likely need to go quite slow compared to plowing. But you are moving a lot of snow a good distance with the blower.

And there is no shame if you need to remove the wings. Moving 51 inches of snow is really quite good.

Let us know how it works out for you when you get snow. Videos are great if you can do it.

/ Can my tractor handle this snow blower (with extension wings)? #7  
The science is: how much snow are you trying to blow at a time. We know the width , but not the height or density of the snow. Only then would we know the mass.
Say a foot of travel equals 200 lbs of snow for example, your speed then determines how much horsepower is required. Say you can move 200 lbs in a second, if you want to go twice as fast and move 400lbs per second you need twice the horsepower, if you drive half speed and move 100lb/sec your tractor only needs to be 1/2 as much horsepower.
No doubt your tractor can run it, just a question of how fast. That answer varies for all snowblowers depending on the particular storm.

/ Can my tractor handle this snow blower (with extension wings)? #8  
Yes, if the Rpms drop it's too much. Watch the spout, you will get a sense of how much snow you can push through and how far it will fly. It seems when the Rpms drop you will see the flying snow "rooster tail" drop almost before you hear rpm's drop. It can be a quick downward spiral and quickly plug if you keep feeding it snow at the same rate but it doesn't have the Rpms to clear it. The answer is to stop or slow down, let it clear out and proceed at pace that maintains that optimum "rooster tail"

/ Can my tractor handle this snow blower (with extension wings)? #9  
In drifts (20 or more inches deep...especially if it's frozen snow), it can be real slow....an inch or so, stop, let the blower catch up...then another inch or two. And I'm running with 30 PTO HP.

/ Can my tractor handle this snow blower (with extension wings)? #10  
The science is: how much snow are you trying to blow at a time. We know the width , but not the height or density of the snow. Only then would we know the mass.
Say a foot of travel equals 200 lbs of snow for example, your speed then determines how much horsepower is required. Say you can move 200 lbs in a second, if you want to go twice as fast and move 400lbs per second you need twice the horsepower, if you drive half speed and move 100lb/sec your tractor only needs to be 1/2 as much horsepower.
No doubt your tractor can run it, just a question of how fast. That answer varies for all snowblowers depending on the particular storm.

Yah, I guess there is science involved but I didn't know how to express it or calculate it.