Any Boss V plow repair guys here?

/ Any Boss V plow repair guys here? #1  

DIXIEDOG

Platinum Member
Tractor
International 2544 / Gator 825i/L2501/General
I'm having an issue with my Boss V plow on my Gator UTV....it has the controller like this one

F28192571.jpg

During the Thanksgiving storm I had problems with my plow blade lifting, I couldn't see fluid in the fill port so I added a bit of fluid and was able to lift the plow up and move the Gator out of the way to finish the job with the tractor. Today I went up and picked up a bit more fluid thinking it was odd that I would need to add any since there were no external leaks I could see. I topped the fluid off and still no dice....the plow won't lift and the blade won't even angle. It seems to be locked in "float" or something like that. If I press the up button my plow motor will run as long as I have it pressed but nothing happens, same with the scoop buttons. I also noticed that when I turn the controller off it doesn't shut down....the backlighting is still on. My plow headlights are also not working.

Up until this last storm everything worked perfectly, this plow is just over a year old and everything looks excellent on it. I don't know anybody local with a Boss V plow that could try my controller to test it. I'm leaning toward that since it was a quick failure, I think adding fluid initially and having it work once was more a fluke than anything.

I did test all the coils and they all magnetize with 12V power hooked up. I don't know much about Boss plows but I don't believe it's my relief valve because with the 2 valves I would expect that if I had one bad one the angle would still work. I checked the ground and it looks good, I disconnected my harnesses and sprayed them with electrical cleaner....greased them with dielectric grease and plugged them back in with no change....all the connections looked good to start with. I'm at a loss as to what to check next. :confused:

/ Any Boss V plow repair guys here? #3  
You may have gotten water in the fluid and it froze try putting a torpedo heater on it for a while

/ Any Boss V plow repair guys here?
You may have gotten water in the fluid and it froze try putting a torpedo heater on it for a while

I thought that but it was pretty warm today....I also pulled the cap off the motor and the fluid looked great. Nice red color just like when it was put in, no milkiness at all.

/ Any Boss V plow repair guys here? #5  
Your problem sounds electrical to me. I first suggest disconnecting the plow controller and check if any pins were bent or pushed back into the plastic moulding of the connector. If either you'll need to straighten those out or pull the pins out with needle nose pliers Make sure there is no power going to the wires first, of course.

Other thoughts....I'm wondering if the controller get wet?

What color back light light on the controller is stuck on? Green? Red? On my Boss straight blade the Red light means the controller is in float mode.

If red, does the toggle switch on the plow work? This is the switch that would operate the lift cylinder to attach/detach the plow.

Re fluid levels, were the plow wings retracted when you checked the fluid level? If the wings/cylinders were extended then you might be overfilling it.

Of course if the problem still isn't obvious you could just take the plow back to the Boss dealer, they should have a controller in stock and be willing to test it for you.

/ Any Boss V plow repair guys here? #6  
I have the 9.2 V-plow, but the hand controller is the same one.

It does sound electrical--I have had different plow functions quit when the main plug has been shifted by snow a bit, also lost all function when the power source got moved, then had a leak when the o-ring on one of the hydraulic ports got pushed out.

I'd first check to see if the controller is functioning right--mines not backlit unless on... did you actually unplug the controller then plug it back in? That'd be my first check. If thats sound then one by one check connections & apply dielectric grease, especially where the main power and functions come in, then keep working back... good luck!

/ Any Boss V plow repair guys here? #7  
Have not had a Boss, but have worked on the yellow brands. How did you energize the coils to test?? Did you shut it off in float?? How warm did it get, if it was not directly in the sun it till could be frozen in float. I would find a wiring schematic and jump power though the pins with the controller disconnected that way wiring and plow are confirmed if it works. It still could be froze, it sometimes takes more than a 40 degree day to thaw a blockage either in the float valve or before. The pump could be shot, just because the motor turns does not guarantee the hydro pump is turning or working. Your controller could be shot. Some dealers may help with trying a new controller, many won't. Tough to lend out a $250 to $300 controller if there may be a short that fries it as soon as it plugged it.

/ Any Boss V plow repair guys here? #8  
i didn't run across any sort of electrical diagram in google search for boss plows.

if you have electrical over hydrualic valves. you should be able to pull the valves out, and use some test wires on them from a battery, to see if they are opening/closing like they should.

========
if there was an electrical diagram to go by, i might opt to use a jumper wire between the pins at were the controller connects to. and see if things move. but a tad risky not knowing if there is any computer chips or relays mixed in there. that you could fry if not careful.

my guess computer chip is in the controller. and just the coils and a fuse and some relays are at the plow itself. but could be wrong.

if you try jumping across pins, make sure to unhook the hyd cylinders (one of side of them bare min),

=========
i would imagine there is pressure relief's some were in the setup for the hydraulics, and they may be stuck open for what ever reason (bad, plugged up with gunk, frozen up with water). pressure reliefs may be built directly into the valves themselves.

/ Any Boss V plow repair guys here? #9  
Most electric plow issues are caused by poor connections at the plug in for the plow itself. Be sure the connections are tight and seated securely.

Boss makes a nice plow I have one on my tractor.

Good luck, Fred