Angled snow plow pushing the tractor around?

/ Angled snow plow pushing the tractor around? #1  

TrentonMaple

Tractor
LS R3039
So I bought a new tractor this summer. It's an LS R3039 (New Holland Boomer 35) with loaded rear R4 tires. Don't have chains yet, not sure if I will get them.

It replaced a '52 Ford 8N that had a kind of subframe on it and a non-hydraulic snowplow that angled via an A-frame and a king pin. (You had to get off and manually swing it to angle it) The plow was rigged up to the 3pt hitch via cables to raise and lower it. It was a contraption to put it politely.

When I sold the 8N and left the tractor stone age, I kept the plow to do my long, straight gravel driveway with it. I bought a 5/16" skid steer attachment plate and brought the plow and the plate to a welder. i explained to him that I wanted the plow A-frame welded to the plate so I could stick on the the loader of my tractor and plow with it.

He was very concerned that if the plow was angled and I tried to push snow, the tractor would "turn around the plow" so to speak. He says he's seen it many times with skid-steers. He seemed to think I would be very frustrated if I tried to plow any way other than straight. I told him I didn't think it would be a problem based on my tractors weight and 4wd, but he seemed skeptical. Anyway, I asked to fabricate and weld it on so I could still angle it. A non-angling snow plow would be worthless to me.

My old 8N never had a problem with this. Is this a common issue?

/ Angled snow plow pushing the tractor around? #2  
While researching a snow plow attached to the bucket of my tractor, I heard of other people having this problem. I have used my setup once, and so far, that has not been an issue. Seems to me the 4wd should help.

/ Angled snow plow pushing the tractor around? #3  
This is my first year plowing with the CK35, but I'm very pleased so far. The first snow was about 10 - 12 inch of heavy wet snow. 2nd plow was about 4 inch of wet slush, again no problems. The CK never spun a wheel, never missed a beat, didn't move sideways at ALL. With that said, every tractor, every plow truck at some point will veer sideways if pushing enough snow. With a tractor your size, it's not going to happen very often.
For comparisons, my CK35 weighs 5000lb with Plow and Blower, I run turf tires, non loaded year round. 001.jpg

/ Angled snow plow pushing the tractor around? #4  
My old 8N never had a problem with this. Is this a common issue?

I've seen Washington State DOT Class 8 dump trucks in the ditch because of this very issue

/ Angled snow plow pushing the tractor around? #5  
Been seeing a lot of "barely used" skid steer plows showing up for sale and I was wondering if this was the reason.

/ Angled snow plow pushing the tractor around? #6  
Yes, there will be a point in time when the snow is deep enough and/or wet enough that it will push you and the blade sideways. It does it occasionally with my M6040, filled rear tires, 4WD & rear blade - tractor weighs 9600+ lbs. I have a mile long gravel driveway.

I sure would not worry about it - back up and take a smaller bite - enjoy the snow.

/ Angled snow plow pushing the tractor around? #7  
I've have a very light-weight machine (1500#) and sometimes, depending on how wet and heavy the snow is, it will try to push the tractor sideways. However, most of the time, I have no problem with a foot of "average" snowfall. Give it a try. You'll like it. The advantages of a plow on the FEL arms that can lift very high VS a plow that only lifts a few inches will soon show up. :thumbsup:

/ Angled snow plow pushing the tractor around? #8  
Lighter tractors with larger plows would see this more often, but I've had some side push action about once or twice a year with mine. I can quickly remedy it by lifting the FEL slightly to add more weight to the front wheels and to plow less snow. If I'm rolling a deep row or previously plowed (and refrozen) snow for example, I keep the blade 6" or a foot off the ground for the first pass and then clean it up with a second pass.
You're plowing slow enough that you'll know when you have a problem and you'll be able to control things easily.

/ Angled snow plow pushing the tractor around? #9  
I had a blade on a 4 wheeler many years ago. 4x4 and chains on all 4 corners. Using the blade angled often resulted in the machine being sideways, especially if plowing at speed.

So yes, this could happen with too much blade and deep snow.

Me? I'd pass on the blade and just use a decent bucket.

/ Angled snow plow pushing the tractor around? #10  
I think with the plow mounted on the loader arms and it being further away, the leverage effect would be greater. Definitely would be better to keep the blade as close to the tractor as possible, but the advantages of having it on the fel arms may outweigh that disadvantage. I really can't answer the "how much" effect, you'll just have to try it.