Goggles?

/ Goggles? #1  

dodge man

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 2025R
I have a set of goggles but probably a cheaper set and they fog up badly. I think a lot of the problem is if it's so cold I'm wearing goggles I've also have a face mask on that seems to steam them up quicker. Do better goggles actually not steam up? Is there some kind of magic spray you can clean goggles with so they don't steam up? Maybe a different face mask?

/ Goggles? #2  
I have a set of goggles but probably a cheaper set and they fog up badly. I think a lot of the problem is if it's so cold I'm wearing goggles I've also have a face mask on that seems to steam them up quicker. Do better goggles actually not steam up? Is there some kind of magic spray you can clean goggles with so they don't steam up? Maybe a different face mask?

Get a decent set of ski goggles. They will not fog up.

/ Goggles? #3  

There are many anti-fog treatments available. Google Anti-fog. We used to use some sold by Bass Pro, unfortunately I cannot remember the name of it. It did work pretty well on my glasses. I used it in conjunction with competitive shooting where we were often out in lousy weather. It was a small jar of a waxy creme you rubbed on your glasses, and then buffed off. Sorry I can't be of more help.

/ Goggles? #4  
Try a small, small bit of dish soap. Let it dry and buff it clear. The soap breaks the surface tension of the moisture so it sheets instead of fogging.

/ Goggles? #5  
Scuba divers spit on the inside of them and rub it in to keep from fogging over. Try it and report back.

/ Goggles? #6  
Make sure they are double lens goggles with an insulating air gap between inner and outer lenses. All good ski goggles are like that, and won't fog. Cheap ski goggles have a single lens, and fog up like crazy, since there is nothing to insulate the humid inner air near your face from the cold outside air. It's very much analogous to double-pane versus single pane windows in a home in cold weather.

I always make sure family members spend a little more $$ on good goggles when we go on ski trips, as vision is one of the most important factors in skiing well and enjoying the day. A crappy pair of goggles can be frustrating and ruin a ski day.

Most good goggles also have a vent you can open/close, which is helpful in warmer weather. The vent is normally covered with foam so that snow can't get inside.

And last but not least, there are different lens colors and tints, and they all have pros and cons. I actually keep 3-4 lenses for my goggles, and will change them based on light conditions. When skiing out west, the light is often very flat, so yellow lenses or high contrast "sensor" lenses are a big help. I imagine the same considerations would apply for snow removal work depending on the time of day and typical lighting in your area.

Anyhow, shop around, I think it's money well spent when picking a good set of winter goggles. They can make vision effects a non-issue.

/ Goggles? #7  
   / Goggles? #8  
Scuba divers spit on the inside of them and rub it in to keep from fogging over. Try it and report back.

Yep, we do that :) As captain obvious would say tho, do this *before* going outside! Never actually tried outside of scuba tho, so YMMV

+1 on the ski goggles, but quite often I find it just delays the inevitable... When its windy I tend to have a scarf on which sometimes blocks the bottom vents on the goggles, and they then fog up anyways. Mine are super old now too tho so that probably doesn't help. I have 2 pairs, so when i get sick of one fogging up too much I just switch!

DD

/ Goggles? #9  
Definitely make sure they are double-lens.

/ Goggles? #10  

Yes some scuba divers use spit, but baby shampoo is sooooo much more effective.