Linear actuator switches

/ Linear actuator switches #1  

truckdiagnostics

Platinum Member
Tractor
7753 bobcat
Have two linear actuators on the blower for the skid loader. Wanted small toggle switches mounted in the skid steer control handles. Also didn稚 want to run a bunch of wire. With this circuit I can control both really motors by running 4 22awg wire, the green on the attached schematic. The rest of the wire is 12 awg. There are several advantages of doing things this way. There are no hot wires being run up the handles. When the relays are not actuated ground is parked at the motors, relays are not energized until switch is actuated so there is no need to find ignition feed circuit. We can then mount the relays close to the battery.
act 1.jpgact 2.jpgact 3.jpg
even used on linear actuator on four wheeler plow turn
act 4.jpg

Attachments

• motor reverse circuit.jpg
    motor reverse circuit.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 4,053
   / Linear actuator switches #2  
I don't think you have the relays wired for switching polarity to the actuators. The way your pic shows you are only switching the 12 volt positive from side to side on the actuators, you need to switch the positive and negative to allow the actuators to change directions. I have 2 on my snow blower but just used reverse polarity switches from Grote. They are probably to large for your handle mount so the relays are the correct route for your application. If you google wiring reverse polarity relays lots of schematics come up for power door locks and windows. The little toggle switches you need are single pole double throw. (rest at off in the middle and switch to on up or down) (on/off/on) but spring back to center. This is all assuming the actuators you are using are only 2 wire.

Attachments

• blower.jpg
    blower.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 389
   / Linear actuator switches #3  
The picture is correct. The opposite side is grounded thru the non energized relay. It took me awhile to follow as well. You need a pin diagram for the relays.

/ Linear actuator switches #4  
Ok yeah both sides of the motor are resting at ground through pin 87a and one side of the motor getting 12v positve with the switch activated through pin 85. I see it now.

/ Linear actuator switches #5  
I don't have a clue how this works looking at the diagram.Is it cheaper to go with two relays compared to a reversing solenoid? Last I checked they are around 50 bucks a pop.

/ Linear actuator switches #6  
Looks like it should work well.

IF those are just the little icecube relays like in autos, they are cheap. A pair of them maybe $5 if that. Looks like maybe $20 total in the whole setup + the actuators.

Nice work.

/ Linear actuator switches