Snow Equipment Buying/Pricing Best Blower for a 75HP Tractor?

/ Best Blower for a 75HP Tractor? #33  
Offering my speech to you as a mechanic that worked on hydraulic systems
for a living:

Do not waste your money.

The reservoir is too small. The snow casters use of gear motors is also a
non starter for a snow caster because of the two stage snow caster design
with the open cross augers and the worm a spur gear drive that is used on
many units.

Vane pumps and motors are better because they are more efficient offering higher torque

For the money you would spend:

1. you would be better off buying one of the Canadian made
single stage motorized snow casters ment for ATV's.

2. Replacing the chute and spout with a longer chute.

3. replacing the Honda motor with an electric start 37 horsepower
four cylinder air cooled Wisconsin engine.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4. The issue is with these things is lack of horsepower which reduces available torque
and power loss from excess heat due to the small reservoir. The radiator only cools the
oil but you need a larger reservoir to purge the air bubbles from the resulting oil cavitation
due to the gear pump and and motor.

The oil gets too hot too quickly and no air cooled radiator is going to solve that problem
unless the reservoir size is doubled.

Its your money don't waste it:

/ Best Blower for a 75HP Tractor? #34  
Hi. Considering similar options for a Kubota L6060HSTCC (53 PTO HP)

I don't want to question a mechanic...BUT...

How is this sort of reservoir (and MK Martin/meteor make a similar system) too small when compared to the setup of a Skidsteer? 30 GPM at 2500-3000 PSI is similar if not better numbers than a high flow skid-steer. Hydraulic blowers obviously work well on skid steers and Toolcats, what is the difference, assuming you have enough PTO HP to drive it? How big can the reservoir on a skidsteer be or what is difference? Now I do believe you will lose power so the max blower size will be lower going hydraulic than going with a mechanical drive, but hard to believe MK Martin is going to sell something that won't work - and they use same power pack on 66-86 inch blowers. MK Martin | Loader Mount

Now whether is worth the extra cost is a different question, but hard to believe isn't going to work. Video here on what looks like a 5740 Kubota https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_LNbAeEmQYc

Thanks

Mark

Offering my speech to you as a mechanic that worked on hydraulic systems
for a living:

Do not waste your money.

The reservoir is too small. The snow casters use of gear motors is also a
non starter for a snow caster because of the two stage snow caster design
with the open cross augers and the worm a spur gear drive that is used on
many units.

Its your money don't waste it:

Last edited:
   / Best Blower for a 75HP Tractor? #35  
How is this sort of reservoir (and MK Martin/meteor make a similar system) too small when compared to the setup of a Skidsteer? 30 GPM at 2500-3000 PSI is similar if not better numbers than a high flow skid-steer. Hydraulic blowers obviously work well on skid steers and Toolcats, what is the difference, assuming you have enough PTO HP to drive it? How big can the reservoir on a skidsteer be or what is difference?
That reservoir size should be more than enough IMO.
The reservoir on the skid steer at work only holds 12-15 gal. I run it on high flow (37 GPM) at full power running an asphalt mill for hours and the oil doesn't overheat.

/ Best Blower for a 75HP Tractor? #36  
Five point,
Did you end up getting a blower for your 4.75?

/ Best Blower for a 75HP Tractor? #37  
Have you considered skipping the blower and getting a bucket-mounted pusher plow?

I'll be a lot faster.

/ Best Blower for a 75HP Tractor? #38  
Hi. Considering similar options for a Kubota L6060HSTCC (53 PTO HP)

I don't want to question a mechanic...BUT...

How is this sort of reservoir (and MK Martin/meteor make a similar system) too small when compared to the setup of a Skidsteer? 30 GPM at 2500-3000 PSI is similar if not better numbers than a high flow skid-steer. Hydraulic blowers obviously work well on skid steers and Toolcats, what is the difference, assuming you have enough PTO HP to drive it? How big can the reservoir on a skidsteer be or what is difference? Now I do believe you will lose power so the max blower size will be lower going hydraulic than going with a mechanical drive, but hard to believe MK Martin is going to sell something that won't work - and they use same power pack on 66-86 inch blowers. MK Martin | Loader Mount

Now whether is worth the extra cost is a different question, but hard to believe isn't going to work. Video here on what looks like a 5740 Kubota https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_LNbAeEmQYc

Thanks

Mark

======================================================================

Hello Mark,

I do not take offense to what your asking at all. One must have a questioning attitude when
examining the spending of dollars or Loonies.

It is simply one method of providing power to an implement that is all it is.

SO much depends on the design and how tolerant the bean counters
are with regard to the design of these things.

As I have screamed from the mountain top each and every year the manufacturers
of these things need to provide a narrow flight solid auger for these snow casters to accomplish
the following for the end user for either a single stage or two stage snow caster.

1. a narrow flight solid auger permits the metered flow of snow to the impeller eliminating flooding
the impeller and reducing its snow casting ability.

a. a snow caster with serrations cut into the ribbon/auger flight cut the snow pack into smaller
pieces permitting it to be conveyed more effectively by the cross auger to the impeller paddles.

Just to expand my point, there are videos of the tracked Yamaha snow blowers clearing snow and
they have open cross augers with serrations used to shear the snow into the smallest parts.

I guess if it was me looking at this

I would have to look long and hard at the front mount snow caster and sub frame for the L6060
where the mid mount PTO powers it for you.

I have never been crazy about these units strictly based on

1. the design
2. the power loss
3. the mid mount drive shaft then to a reverser then to the front mounted snow caster.

===================================================================

My feeling is if you contemplating a very large cost outlay for your needs you seriously should have a chat with your local Pronovost implement Dealer about their front mounted three point hitch system as it would allow you to use a standard 540 RPM snow caster on their front three point hitch system as you may be looking at less money for a standard snow blower and a mounting system that does not require a sub frame that requires more room to store it someplace.

In this case the mid mount PTO is delivering its usable power through gear reduction to the implement mounted on the front three point hitch.

I would rather see you spend your time examining the issues for the use intended- In my case I just spent a wad of dollars on installing and buying a coal stoker boiler to heat my home after 7 years of examining the issues and dealing with a hand fired boiler for 33 years.

I want you to succeed Mark not fail. No one knows your operating conditions but you.

The added benefit of the front mounted Pronovost snow caster would let you purchase a chute extension and get the snow above the roof line of a cabbed unit or an open station unit unit with a canopy.

Having the hydraulic mount for a front end loader in the purchase would allow you to invest in a Pronovost TRC model that would allow you to discharge the snow to the left or right with the rotating drum advantage of the TRC model bypassing the chute and spout especially when dealing with heavy wet snow.

Having the chute extension with the Pronovost TRC model is the best of both worlds allowing you to deal with all snow conditions.The other thing is that you have a larger impeller to cast the snow away using gear reduction to its best advantage.

One of the TBM Members has a Pronovost TRC model for his mule and he has been kind enough to
post videos of it operating on the forum.

Its a long algebra problem with a solution and a good case for using the Ben Franklin Closing Argument with the positives on one side and the negatives on the opposing side of the paper with a line drawn down the middle to separate them and than adding up the positives and negatives to see whether you have a positive or negative balance when doing simple addition with total positive balance and a total negative balance to find the sum.

Last edited: