Snowblower - Front vs. Rear RPM Question

/ Snowblower - Front vs. Rear RPM Question #11  
Thanks again for the additional advice!

I called my Kubota dealer today to inquire on rear 3-point snow blower for my BX25. I did this mainly as a pricing point and to pick their brains a bit but, was very surprised by their response. In most cases, they usually do not recommend Kubota 3-point snow blowers. This seems to align with one previous post that suggested the Kubota offering might be sub-standard vs. others available. The dealer recommended a Bur-Vac Blizzard 48 snow blower and after looking at Bur-Vac痴 specs, I am in agreement that 48 is likely preferred for my tractor vs. the larger 54 model. The 48 model has a 20 fan diameter and the 54 has a 24 fan diameter?o there is a definite impeller difference and it痴 not just a wider blower. At any rate, the dealer is working up a quote for me that would include both hydraulic chute rotation and deflector.

Any opinions on Bur-Vac as a brand in general?I will search the forum but, thought I would ask, as I致e never heard of them before.

I believe the Blizzard, Frontier and Kubota rear mount snow blowers are made by RAD out of Canada, and these blowers are all identical except for color.
At least a couple of years ago that was the case, I just looked at some photos of some new Kubota rear mount blowers, and from what I can see, it's the same as my Frontier.
I can't find any photo of a Blizzard snow blower, but I did see a new one locally 2 years ago and it was the same as my Frontier.
Just look them over and see if you can see any differences.

Here is a link the the John Deere Frontier snow blowers.

https://www.deere.com/en_US/docs/pdfs/frontier/DSFE51007_frntr_snowblwr_3pt_v2a_lr_sngl_pgs.pdf

If you look at the spec page the SB1154 has a recommended Min 16 pto HP - Max 35 pto HP
Your BX25 has 17.7 HP so you are 1.7 HP over the Min 16 pto HP

My Kubota B7800 has 22 pto HP the Frontier SB1164 blower I have has a recommended Min 20 pto Hp - Max 50 pto HP
so I am only 2.0 HP over the Min 20 Pto HP
As I mentioned in my earlier post, I can blow snow over 35'.
With the HST trans on your BX25, if the snow blower starts to bog down, you just slow your ground speed and allow the pto speed to get back up to normal.

I don't think you'd have any problems with the 54" snow blower.
I really believe it would be more
advantageous to have the 54" with the bigger 24" impeller with the 26" high intake than the 48" wide with the 20" impeller and 24 " high intake.

Good luck

EDIT

Here is a video of a BX25 with a 6 foot RM snow blower.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lwiR2W2GnM

Last edited:
   / Snowblower - Front vs. Rear RPM Question #12  
Hey guys, just wanted to toss my $0.02 on this topic.

I have a Mahindra Max25, rated at 19-20hp at the rear pto. I have a Woods SB54 rear blower that runs at the above stated 540rpm. When I have the snow chute all the way open, it really tosses the snow.... easily 50-60ft if not more. I've cleared several storms (only had it for this season) with varying types of snow. No clogging issues and no complaints. This has been a great unit so far.

The Woods blower has a 22in 4 blade fan that is 6in deep. I opted for the 54in version over the 64 as i felt the 64 would have been a bit big for my tractor. I would say that going any smaller than 54 would be too small. As it is, it's a tight fit to keep all the tires in the blowers track.

OP your BX25 is really close to my Max25. What is your deciding factor to go with the smaller blower? Keep in mind, if you have HST trans on your tractor, you have infinite speed variations so bogging down the tractor with snow isn't as much of an issue as it is for the guys with shuttles.

I've posted this video before, but this is my Max/Woods in action about a week back. In this shot I'm clearing roughly 20inches of snow, with a full 54in bite. You can see that the tractor handles it with ease.

-J

Shift 4200 hit the nail on the head! Get the 54" cause you have HST and can go as slow or as fast as you want, you won't be sorry. I also agree with the 4 paddle fan, the larger the more snow clearing the augers.
DevilDog

/ Snowblower - Front vs. Rear RPM Question
Very cool, guys!!!

To be honest, the only reason I said 48" was based off the dealer's recomendation and my futher research of specs for the Bur-Vac. I actually didn't find any specs for Bur-Vac nor did I look for long today but, I immediatly found specs for a Radtech Innovation Blizzard blower and assumed it was one and the same. Based on DHD's info that Radtech manufactures or may manufacture Kubota, JD, and Bur-Vac, it only makes sense why I quickly found info on Radtech but, not Bur-Vac. Radtech 48" model B48C specifies the recommended PTO HP to be within 15 to 30...while the Radtech 54" model B54C specifies the recommended PTO HP to be within 20 to 40. So based on my dealer's recomendation, the specs I found for the 48" unit, and knowing my BX25's PTO rated HP, it just seemed the 48" unit would be the best fit. I would love to go bigger but, that's what swayed my opinion. Now that I'm reading about how HST & the blower work together, I think I would be willing to go with the 54" unit and do so safely. When I arrived home from work today, I also measured the track width of my rear tires...can't rely on Kubota specs here, as I've installed wheel spacers both front and rear...total measurement from outside tire wall to outside tire wall is ~46" so, I can again see how 54" would be the better option. The dealer is working up a quote for me and hope to have that tomorrow to make a decision.

The other thing that I leared today, which probally only applies to BX25 owners, is that Kubota offers a dual rear remote set up (BX7326). This came up when I told the dealer that I would prefer hydraulic operation for the chute direction and deflector. I know this is likely overkill but, nothing like having hydraulic power vs. hand cranking, etc. The true bonus is that I will now have extra rear remotes for use with other implements, without taping into the backhoe circuit.

DHD...got a chuckle out of your first post but, didn't think to include the comment in my last reply. My father-in-law grew up on a dairy farm in MA and all he knows is John Deere. I thought he was going to strike me from all future family functions, when I showed him my new "orange" tractor. That being said, even if the "green" machine is the best thing going, I would have to swallow my pride hard, if I showed him a JD implement on my Kubota. Not sure if he would get a chuckle out of it or think I've lost my mind. Way too funny...LOL!!!

/ Snowblower - Front vs. Rear RPM Question #14  
"I believe the Blizzard, Frontier and Kubota rear mount snow blowers are made by RAD out of Canada, and these blowers are all identical except for color."

Correct!
Also used the brand name BERVAC.
They mostly do brand label and paint for OEM's

Not commercial duty but decent well designed and cheap to maintain.
They use decent gauge metal (not tin) but do lack some refinements like easy to adjust skids.
Most I have seen sport manual chute controls but options are available.
All moving parts are 'off the shelf' (bearings, chains pins) at an auto parts or bearing shop.

I'd say "A good bang for your $$"

/ Snowblower - Front vs. Rear RPM Question #16  
I have a 64" Blizzard by RAD Canada. I'm very please with it so far (About 40hr's of snow blowing). I unit is heavy, well build, and can really fire snow. I would definitely recommend Blizzard. 003.jpg

I have a 64" Blizzard by RAD Canada. I'm very please with it so far (About 40hr's of snow blowing). I unit is heavy, well build, and can really fire snow. I would definitely recommend Blizzard.View attachment 410396

Thanks so much for the vote of confidence!!!

Since my last post, I decided to go with a Kubota BL2664 rear snowblower on a new B2650...with a loader mounted plow too.

Long story short, I've wanted to go bigger for some time and now just happend to be the time :thumbsup: ...traded the BX25 for a B2650.

Thanks again for all the info and advice!!!