Lugging her down

/ Lugging her down #1  

alltherage

Silver Member
Tractor
2011 Cub Yanmar EX2900. 1939 Farmall A, 1940 Farmall H, 1959 Oliver 770
How much do u guys let your tractors lug down when running the blower? Ours is hst with pto speed at 2600. I usually run 2500. It will go down to 2300 or 2200 rather often. I never let it go below 2000. Is this typical for many?

/ Lugging her down #2  
I try to keep mine at 540 PTO(about 2,400) by varying the ground speed. For heavy, wet snow I have the throttle close to wide open and adjust the ground speed so the blower drags it down to 540 PTO.

The chute never plugs as long as it has a continuous, thick stream of snow. It doesn't matter with cold snow but I still like to run it at 540.

An HST makes it easy to regulate the speed this way. I have a pull-type blower which also helps. Since you don't need to look back it's easier to keep an eye on the tach.

/ Lugging her down #3  
I run mine at PTO speed/2550rpm and if the snow is wet and heavy then I gear down to low range and slow right down. Light dry snow I am still at PTO speed but in the center range.(M)

/ Lugging her down #4  
What type of blower are you using? Mine never bogs down. Even when I drive too fast, the extra snow spills off to the side.
I generally run the RPM at 1900-2200. When I really need to throw it I go up to 2400 but that is about it.
I am running a 60" JRW rear blower on a B7610

/ Lugging her down #5  
My blower rarely if ever boggs down my tractor - 6' Econor on an L4200. OTOH, I have 45HP at my disposal, and I don't think many blowers can transfer half that power before breaking shear pins. I run full PTO speed (2600 RPM) at all times when blowing snow, and adjust ground speed typically based on keeping the right amount of snow piled up in front of my blower.

Attachments

• DSCN0106x.JPG
    DSCN0106x.JPG
    167.6 KB · Views: 185
   / Lugging her down #6  
When running my blower I usually set the no load speed at 2400-2500 and will lug it down as low as 1800 [torque peak for my engine] But if you keep the rpm's up around 2200+ it will feed faster. As far as shear pins go, I have never broken one in 2 years of blowing back banks after the snow plow's build them up. Double nutted grade 5 5/16 bolts is what is called for on my blower. CJ

/ Lugging her down #7  
My blower rarely if ever boggs down my tractor - 6' Econor on an L4200. OTOH, I have 45HP at my disposal, and I don't think many blowers can transfer half that power before breaking shear pins. I run full PTO speed (2600 RPM) at all times when blowing snow, and adjust ground speed typically based on keeping the right amount of snow piled up in front of my blower.

Now there's something you don't see very often... chains on the front tires only. What's the scoop?

/ Lugging her down #8  
Now there's something you don't see very often... chains on the front tires only. What's the scoop?
THE hot lick for steering.

/ Lugging her down
I have a 6' loftness on the back of the yanmar. It's big for the tractor but works w the hst. 16" auger and 27" impeller

/ Lugging her down #10  
I also have chains on the front tires. When plowing snow, the fronst loose traction, so I put a cheap pair of lawn tractor chains on front. What a difference now in steering on hard pack snow and ice. I actually go where I want to.