Snow Attachments Ford 715A - Wrong auger gearing?

/ Ford 715A - Wrong auger gearing? #1  

Quinn629

Tractor
Ford 1620
I am operating a Ford 715A snow blower rear mounted to the 3pt of a 1996 New Holland 1620. The Tractor and blower were purchased new together by the original homeowner. I purchased the tractor when I bought the home last summer. The neighbor told me he has always thought the blower didn't throw snow like it should. After using it, I agree. I am running the RPM at the indicated 540 PTO RPM. If I am in 3" of snow or more it does better but not like it should. (I believe). I have read that the 715A comes geared for the front mount and requires a different set of gears if its mounted to the rear (or vise versa)? The impeller is a 1 for 1 drive to the PTO shaft - so the only thing spinning faster (because of a gear swap) would be the auger. Which turns ridiculously slow when at the proper RPM. It throws snow better when Im in a lot of snow so my thought is the auger is spinning too slow. Has anyone else had to put different gears in their 715A because of this issue?

/ Ford 715A - Wrong auger gearing? #2  
I know you have a gearbox driven auger off the fan, but for a point of reference, my chain driven auger spins at 204 rpm with fan at 540 rpmwith pto at 540 rpms.

/ Ford 715A - Wrong auger gearing? #3  
Is the fan turning in the correct direction of rotation?
Often blowers for front mounting do not turn in the proper direction on the rear pto.
What diameter is the fan? Knowing this would help commenting on the proper rpm.
Dave M7040

/ Ford 715A - Wrong auger gearing? #4  
I have a 60" snow blower that was originally labeled as a Yanmar and I believe is very similar to yours. It has the 3 blade impeller and worm drive auger. I have used it on the 3 point with direct drive from the PTO and front mount with a full length framework bringing the PTO power through a reversing gearbox to the front of the tractor. Either way, a 10' to 15' throw is the best it will do, unless I really over-rev the engine. The old Yanmar tractors had multiple speed PTOs which may have allowed a higher rpm and greater distance. I ended up putting belting on the impeller to make a better seal against the housing which improved distance. I would have rather put in a housing liner but it is out of round and would not have worked. When you consider the fan diameter, 3 blade impeller, speed of feed auger on a 540 machine, it is NOT a high capacity blower and there is not much you can do about it. I think it was designed for that 15 to 18 hp tractor so as to not overload it.

Last edited:
   / Ford 715A - Wrong auger gearing? #5  
Saw your photo on Snow Weapons page and it is preforming very similar to my rig. Envy that cab though and on top of that you have HEAT!!!! Wow.

/ Ford 715A - Wrong auger gearing? #6  
I've have a 60" Ford 715a snowblower on the back of my Pasquali 993 for 2 seasons now. And I've learned a few things. 1st PTO RPM, go on the "more-is-better," principle! Because the impeller-housing is only 16" in diameter, with a 3 blade impeller, it limits it's capability. It hates anything under 2" of snow, not enough to feed it. I have 2 PTO speeds 540 & 740, that extra 200 rpm's makes a big difference in its throwing ability.
2nd is, make sure inside of impeller-housing & chute are smooth. I re painted this past fall, and gave impeller-housing, impeller-blades & chute, several coats of car wax/polish, to keep the snow/ice from sticking.

Shadow

/ Ford 715A - Wrong auger gearing? #7  
On a similar note, I just hooked up my 715 snow blower front-mount and the hydraulic housing leaks considerably. After a some disassembly, I can see at least one of the gaskets is blown. Does anyone know where I could get a replacement gasket or potentially a rebuild kit? One of the three levers is also broken off. So if I can replace that instead of using a pair of vice grips I wouldn't complain. The info on the snowblower housing is Ford 715; 19BV9119; WY 03394.

Any help would be appreciated.