Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Electric Chute Deflector Tip Freezing in Cold

/ Electric Chute Deflector Tip Freezing in Cold #1  

2Bad4u

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2370
Hi Everyone a newbie tractor owner here.

I have a Kubota BX2755HD front mounted snowblower with a hydraulic chute and an electric deflector tip. The problem I'm experiencing is that the electric tip piston appears to be freezing during very cold temperatures. The first time it happened I thought that the electric motor had failed but it started to work again when the tractor was put back into our heated garage. I'm not sure at what temperature it freezes at, but the last time it happened it was -16C / +3F. Are others experiencing similar problems?

I'm contemplating spraying some WD-40 on the piston to see if it helps since WD-40 claims to repel moisture.

Any other tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance and have a great day.

Cheers!
-- Bill --

/ Electric Chute Deflector Tip Freezing in Cold #2  
Hi Everyone a newbie tractor owner here.

I have a Kubota BX2755HD front mounted snowblower with a hydraulic chute and an electric deflector tip. The problem I'm experiencing is that the electric tip piston appears to be freezing during very cold temperatures. The first time it happened I thought that the electric motor had failed but it started to work again when the tractor was put back into our heated garage. I'm not sure at what temperature it freezes at, but the last time it happened it was -16C / +3F. Are others experiencing similar problems?

I'm contemplating spraying some WD-40 on the piston to see if it helps since WD-40 claims to repel moisture.

Any other tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance and have a great day.

Cheers!
-- Bill --

I installed one this winter. I researched it here first. A lot of people have had that problem. Mount it upside down to prevent moisture from getting into the housing. I did that, and have had no problems. Good luck.

/ Electric Chute Deflector Tip Freezing in Cold
I installed one this winter. I researched it here first. A lot of people have had that problem. Mount it upside down to prevent moisture from getting into the housing. I did that, and have had no problems. Good luck.

What a brillant idea and one that I would not have considered. I have already mounted it upside down and am waiting for the blizzard to stop. Will report back with my results tomorrow. Thanks for the tip!!!

Cheers,
-- Bill --

It finally stopped snowing here after dumping 34 inches of snow, the snow drift across the entrance of one of the driveways was over 8' tall. :eek:

I'm happy to report that mounting the piston upside down has indeed resolved the freezing issue that I was experiancing. :D :D :D

Thanks to fin lander for the tip !!!

Cheers,
-- Bill --

/ Electric Chute Deflector Tip Freezing in Cold #5  
It finally stopped snowing here after dumping 34 inches of snow, the snow drift across the entrance of one of the driveways was over 8' tall. :eek:

I'm happy to report that mounting the piston upside down has indeed resolved the freezing issue that I was experiancing. :D :D :D

Thanks to fin lander for the tip !!!

Cheers,
-- Bill --

You're welcome. Where do you live, that you got that much snow. I live in the farthest north of upper peninsula of Michigan. We're at 212 inches so far.

You're welcome. Where do you live, that you got that much snow. I live in the farthest north of upper peninsula of Michigan. We're at 212 inches so far.

We recently moved to Mermaid PEI which is just outside Charlottetown. My understanding is that the average annual snowfall for this area is around 11' but I suspect that it will be higher than average this year. The "deal" I made with my better have before moving here was that we needed a tractor if we were to move. Previously we lived just outside Toronto Ontario where typically there isn't that much snow.

With 212" of snow you must be quite the expert with your tractor. LOL

What's the average annual snowfall there?

Cheers!
-- Bill --

/ Electric Chute Deflector Tip Freezing in Cold #7  
We recently moved to Mermaid PEI which is just outside Charlottetown. My understanding is that the average annual snowfall for this area is around 11' but I suspect that it will be higher than average this year. The "deal" I made with my better have before moving here was that we needed a tractor if we were to move. Previously we lived just outside Toronto Ontario where typically there isn't that much snow.

With 212" of snow you must be quite the expert with your tractor. LOL

What's the average annual snowfall there?

Cheers!
-- Bill --

Our average is around 280 to 300. First year with tractor and blower. Kind of a newbie. Tractor is LS 3037HC with 68 inch blower. Good combo