Homebrew atv snowblower advice wanted

/ Homebrew atv snowblower advice wanted #1  

NS Gearhead

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere X350
So I thought I bought the ultimate snow removal setup...

...nope. A couple things have become painfully clear; it's not heavy enough to wing the snow sideways. The bike just gets pushed by the blade. Also, the blade doesn't throw the snow up and over the banks that are built up. I do have a system of going back, riding up on the banks and winging them farther out... but this only kind of works. Dig in too much and the bike gets pushed sideways, not enough and it's not doing anything. Then I can take one swipe at a time and push the snow back head on. This is very time consuming. I'm starting to feel like I'm clearing my driveway two or three times with each snowfall. I've also found that my driveways base has turned to ice, and even the tracks don't get much traction. I may get some studs or spikes for them... So, I'm seriously considering a snowblower for it.

I'm not convinced they're worth the $6K+ they're asking for them. I'm thinking I could build something for half that. The tracks outside to outside are 54" wide so this is what I'm thinking for blower width. A couple options I have in mind;

1. Buy two 27" walk behind snowblowers and bolt them together. Synchronize the shutes, and mount them on swivel casters like the ATV blowers. This looks to be in the $2,000 to $3,000 range.
2. Purchase a PTO blower (as light duty as I can find), and add an external engine rotating the shaft. Again, casters to take the weight. Just a guess but I'd say $3,000 to $4,000 for the blower and a motor in the 20hp range.
3. Same as #2, but using a ride on mower blower. Probably not realistic as the biggest I've seen is 50" and quite expensive.

Obviously used parts could lower the cost... although I'd prefer a new engine for reliability. My neighbor's offered to let me use his walk behind... I used it once, that was enough. LOL Nearly impossible on hardpacked/ frozen snow, and way too much of a workout on fresh snow given the size of my driveway. The problem is traction and having to muscle it around. These would be solved being mounted in the bike.... at least I think so. LOL It's not my style to borrow tools anyway.

Thoughts?

/ Homebrew atv snowblower advice wanted #2  
So I thought I bought the ultimate snow removal setup...

...nope. A couple things have become painfully clear; it's not heavy enough to wing the snow sideways. The bike just gets pushed by the blade. Also, the blade doesn't throw the snow up and over the banks that are built up. I do have a system of going back, riding up on the banks and winging them farther out... but this only kind of works. Dig in too much and the bike gets pushed sideways, not enough and it's not doing anything. Then I can take one swipe at a time and push the snow back head on. This is very time consuming. I'm starting to feel like I'm clearing my driveway two or three times with each snowfall. I've also found that my driveways base has turned to ice, and even the tracks don't get much traction. I may get some studs or spikes for them... So, I'm seriously considering a snowblower for it.

I'm not convinced they're worth the $6K+ they're asking for them. I'm thinking I could build something for half that. The tracks outside to outside are 54" wide so this is what I'm thinking for blower width. A couple options I have in mind;

1. Buy two 27" walk behind snowblowers and bolt them together. Synchronize the shutes, and mount them on swivel casters like the ATV blowers. This looks to be in the $2,000 to $3,000 range.
2. Purchase a PTO blower (as light duty as I can find), and add an external engine rotating the shaft. Again, casters to take the weight. Just a guess but I'd say $3,000 to $4,000 for the blower and a motor in the 20hp range.
3. Same as #2, but using a ride on mower blower. Probably not realistic as the biggest I've seen is 50" and quite expensive.

Obviously used parts could lower the cost... although I'd prefer a new engine for reliability. My neighbor's offered to let me use his walk behind... I used it once, that was enough. LOL Nearly impossible on hardpacked/ frozen snow, and way too much of a workout on fresh snow given the size of my driveway. The problem is traction and having to muscle it around. These would be solved being mounted in the bike.... at least I think so. LOL It's not my style to borrow tools anyway.

Thoughts?

========================================================================================================================================================

How far are you from Pugwash, Nova Scotia??????

The problem is horsepower and torque and the lack of same.

One option is the Vermeer tracked tool carrier with its snow caster
attachment which would allow you to stand on it to operate it while it is
moving. I have no idea what they cost though BUT it carries multiple attachments.

Another option is purchasing a used Bobcat or New Holland skid steer loader
with a high flow hydraulic system and a snow caster attachment but the problem
is cost as they will cost more than a BCS with snow caster or the widest Yamaha
snow caster.

It all depends on your wallet but the Yamaha or BCS option is going to cost you
less money over the next 20 years of use.

If a Bercomac ATV snowcaster is out of the question and short of buying a truck and plow
the only way your going to get around the problem and grab it with authority is to invest
in one of the new Yamaha track drive snow blowers that are ment for wet heavy snows like yours.
They have the weight, horsepower and torque needed to do the job.

You could buy a 13 horsepower BCS 2 wheel tractor and a snow caster attachment for about the
same money as a Yamaha snow blower.

The BCS snow caster attachments were designed for the heavy snow falls in the alps and the two wheel
tractor would allow you to attach snow chains and add ballast like windshield washer fluid to the tires
for added weight. The BCS 2 wheel tractors are heavy and the snow caster attachments are heavy and
will do the job.

The other thing is you will not have to walk behind it as you can purchase a sulky to ride behind it while clearing you driveway.

I just dont want you to see you wasting good money when you can make a good investment in machinery.

/ Homebrew atv snowblower advice wanted #3  
I would say save your money and purchase the proper equiptment(tractor+).I used to plow with an ATV and they do have their place but they can't compete with a small tractor with a plow or blower.

/ Homebrew atv snowblower advice wanted #4  
Having owned an ATV with a plow several years ago, it's my opinion that they're OK for very small snowfall amounts and maybe for a sidewalk but not much more.
The equipment should fit the climate it's going to be used in.

/ Homebrew atv snowblower advice wanted
========================================================================================================================================================

How far are you from Pugwash, Nova Scotia??????

The problem is horsepower and torque and the lack of same.

One option is the Vermeer tracked tool carrier with its snow caster
attachment which would allow you to stand on it to operate it while it is
moving. I have no idea what they cost though BUT it carries multiple attachments.

Another option is purchasing a used Bobcat or New Holland skid steer loader
with a high flow hydraulic system and a snow caster attachment but the problem
is cost as they will cost more than a BCS with snow caster or the widest Yamaha
snow caster.

It all depends on your wallet but the Yamaha or BCS option is going to cost you
less money over the next 20 years of use.

If a Bercomac ATV snowcaster is out of the question and short of buying a truck and plow
the only way your going to get around the problem and grab it with authority is to invest
in one of the new Yamaha track drive snow blowers that are ment for wet heavy snows like yours.
They have the weight, horsepower and torque needed to do the job.

You could buy a 13 horsepower BCS 2 wheel tractor and a snow caster attachment for about the
same money as a Yamaha snow blower.

The BCS snow caster attachments were designed for the heavy snow falls in the alps and the two wheel
tractor would allow you to attach snow chains and add ballast like windshield washer fluid to the tires
for added weight. The BCS 2 wheel tractors are heavy and the snow caster attachments are heavy and
will do the job.

The other thing is you will not have to walk behind it as you can purchase a sulky to ride behind it while clearing you driveway.

I just dont want you to see you wasting good money when you can make a good investment in machinery.

I'll have to do some google searching to see what you're talking about. LOL I'm near the airport. I do intend to buy a truck in the next 6 months... but man, full sized plows are big money... even more then the atv blower would be.

/ Homebrew atv snowblower advice wanted #6  
Seems like no matter what you end up with, now & then nature is going to throw something at us that the machine won't handle too well. Whether it's too much snow at once, snow too wet & heavy to move/blow or whatever.
Just have to try and make the best guess for your territory and go with it.

/ Homebrew atv snowblower advice wanted #7  
Look for an old small snowblower that you would put on a tractor, and go from there. Built more stout than the walk behinds. Getting the correct pulley sizes will be your only challenge.

/ Homebrew atv snowblower advice wanted #8  
I've pondered similar decisions for my snow. I always come up with something that will work but its' usually too small for the larger storms we get. My advice is to get something larger that will handle your biggest storms.

/ Homebrew atv snowblower advice wanted
So, back to the original question... two walk behinds bolted together or a PTO with a dedicated engine mounted? Pros and cons to each? Has anyone done either or seen it done? Links to builds?

/ Homebrew atv snowblower advice wanted #10  
So, back to the original question... two walk behinds bolted together or a PTO with a dedicated engine mounted? Pros and cons to each? Has anyone done either or seen it done? Links to builds?

That sounds interesting, you could somehow have them attach to your plow when needed.